UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Help me pick my next gun

6/16/08 2:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Last Don
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's some background. Right now I only own a Springfield XD-9 Service. It's a great pistol, as it's unflappably reliable, and more than accurate enough. Plus, it's a 9mm, so ammo is cheap, it holds a lot, and my fiance can shoot it without being intimidated.

My next gun will likely be one of the following:

1) AR-15: Accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot. Plus, it will likely be the victim of another ban depending on the outcome of the next election. They can be modified, and would be an excellent choice for a SHTF weapon, and for a recreational shooter.

2) Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 HD shotgun: Not as much fun at the range as a rifle, but incredibly effective for defense/SHTF. Doesn't have the range or penetration of a rifle, but realistically, would I need that? Price is also great. I'm on a budget, so this is a real bonus, both in ammo and the gun itself. These weapons can also both be modified, and busting clays can be fun, although I don't know how well a shorter barreled shotgun would do.

3) 1911 .45: The dealer I go to is running a great special on Rock Island Armory 1911s. I've always wanted a 1911, and am considering trading in my XD for one, or getting one instead of one of the weapons above. My issue with this is 1) my XD is a great gun that I don't necessarily want to part with 2) the 1911 would fill the same role the XD fills already, and I feel that I should fill the other role of shotgun/rifle before doubling up. I can, however, probably trade in my XD at an even exchange for the 1911. It's tempting. This would allow me to continue to save for one of the above mentioned weapons, and still get the 1911, but this would be done at the expense of my XD.

What are your thoughts?
6/16/08 4:34 PM
xsjadoroll
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it would go down to practicality, what one do you think you could get the most use out of?
6/15/09 4:43 PM
Half Pint

final answer - Remington 870. Try the feel of both and you'll see the action on the 500 is a little longer and the overall feel is looser. short or long barrel? magazine extension? goal/purpose?

cheap. durable. reliable. effective. I own 2 870's. ask yourself - what is the purpose? what is my budget? what is more fun to shoot? ect. self assessment.

as for the 45. hk45 is the sweetest. rent it or find a friend that owns one and you'll fall in love.

do not part with a gun you like/love. keep your XD. fine weapon.

good luck
6/16/09 4:29 PM
Skpotamus
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just decide which you'll probably get the most use and fun out of, handle a few models of each, decide which you like the best and go for it.
6/17/09 11:12 AM
Willybone
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got a 870 as my first long gun, with a rifled slug barrel because I wanted to try boar hunting.
I figured it was nearly undestructible, so common I'd always be able to find parts/accessories, and versatile enough to kill just about anything.
Plus, the boom is unbelievably satisfying.
10/31/09 1:44 AM
DiSmAnTLeR

i would go with the AR next.
11/19/09 4:51 AM
RobbieH

What'd ya get?
11/19/09 11:23 AM
Last Don
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since I started this thread, I picked up the 870, and an AK instead of the AR. Ammo is cheaper, and I got an amazing deal on a beautiful AK.
11/15/10 2:41 AM
1911fanatic

Half Pint - final answer - Remington 870. Try the feel of both and you'll see the action on the 500 is a little longer and the overall feel is looser. short or long barrel? magazine extension? goal/purpose?

cheap. durable. reliable. effective. I own 2 870's. ask yourself - what is the purpose? what is my budget? what is more fun to shoot? ect. self assessment.

as for the 45. hk45 is the sweetest. rent it or find a friend that owns one and you'll fall in love.

do not part with a gun you like/love. keep your XD. fine weapon.

good luck

Can't go wrong with this choice. Like half pint, I have two.
11/18/10 8:10 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.