UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> Transfer Rumors Thread 08

8/5/08 1:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Govnor
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HOpefully Spuds crash and burn!!! But they probably won't, which is a shame for everyone.
8/5/08 3:07 PM
Bigpapa42

Problem with Sperz is I don't see where they got better defensively. They scored 66 goals in the Prem last season, which is impressive for a mid-table side. But they shipped 61. Gomes in goal might help a bit. Can Woodgate stay healthy? King? The defensive-side seems to be banking on a healthy combo of King and Woodgate, which is a big risk. They didn't even add any midfielders who are liable to help out defensively either.
8/5/08 3:43 PM
Govnor

Thanks Bigpapa for making my day!
8/6/08 7:41 AM
mallet
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Newcastle will really struggle this season again 14th - 13th finish IF we are lucky
8/6/08 11:45 AM
The Kangaroo
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bale and Hutton are the key to their defense. Thats about as talented a group of wing backs as any non big four team. (id suspect even Pool would like that combo)

Fully fit, Bale, Hutton, Woodgate, King, Gomez and Gilberto are a solid defensive group.

Getting rid of Robbo eliminated 10 goals right away!

8/6/08 4:14 PM
Govnor

8/6/08 5:48 PM
The Kangaroo
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

haha
8/7/08 3:01 PM
Bigpapa42

The Kangaroo -  Bale and Hutton are the key to their defense. Thats about as talented a group of wing backs as any non big four team. (id suspect even Pool would like that combo)

Fully fit, Bale, Hutton, Woodgate, King, Gomez and Gilberto are a solid defensive group.

Getting rid of Robbo eliminated 10 goals right away!

The fullbacks are pretty solid. The rest is still big a question mark, though.

Woodgate, on-form and healthy, is a top-level defender. Probablem is that he's a touch inconsistent with his form and has health issues. But even with Woodgate playing pretty well through the last half of last season, Sperz were leaking goals.

King is another who, on-form and healthy, is a top-level defender. But how often has he been healthy in the past couple of seasons?

Dawson is a decent defender who is a capable start for a mid-level Prem club, in my opinion. So if Tottenham are shooting to finish somewhere around 8-14 on the table, he's fine. Obviously they want to be a top level Prem club, and I don't think Dawson is that kind of player. Backup for a top level club at best.

If King and Woodgate were both healthy, it looks like an impressive center back pairing. But the only matches they played together last season was a 4-4 league draw with Chelsea and the 2-1 League Cup finale. 5 goals allowed in 2 matches is not that encouraging. An effective central defender partnership is based not just on the individual skill of the players but how well they gel. If King and Woodgate can't gel, they won't be further ahead than they were with Woodgate and Dawson back there.

Gomes is an unknown as well. On paper, he looks like an upgrade from Robinson. But how much of an upgrade. Gomes was very good in Holland, and he played well in Europe for PSV.

Most of what Tottenham has added has been in midfield. Which is nice, but by itself a strong midfield won't win you too many matches. You need to score and stop the opposition, too. Not to mention that you can only have so many players in midfield...

I think Tottenham have added quality to the squad, but I just don't think they addressed some of the biggest issues. If Woodgate and King stay healthy, then thats great for them. But as soon as one of them goes down, then its a big problem.
8/7/08 4:19 PM
grizz632
487 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AJ finally moved to Fulham and the Moyesiah isn't wasting any time attempting to spend the money. A new, substantially higher bid went in for Moutinho, and they're trying for a third time to get Alan Smith in.

Smith is a potential headache they don't need, but I'm still hopeful on Moutinho

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.