UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Salsa: what kind do you like? Any recipes?

6/20/08 4:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SE7ENFOLD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What type of salsa do you like? Mild? Medium? Hot? Super Hot? Chunky? Not Chunky?.....

Does anyone have any good recipes for making home made salsa?

I have a few jalapenos, habaneros and sweet green peppers growing out back that i wanna make into a salsa.
6/20/08 7:17 PM
warcake
196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like hot salsa.  Here's a simple recipe that i use.  The key to it is finding very good tomatoes.  They're in season right now so it shouldn't be too tough.

10 Serrano peppers (They're hotter than jalepenos and I like their flavor better)
3 or 4 Habaneros
6-8 medium tomatoes (I usually use vine ripened)
1/2 of a white onion
Cilantro (small handful)
Juice of 1 lime
1-2 tsp salt

I first throw the serranos and habaneros into a food processor and chop until they are very fine.  then I add in the 1/2 onion and cilantro and chop it up for about 10 seconds.  Next I add the tomatoes, lime juice and salt (start with 1 tsp then add to taste).  I pulse the processor till the tomatoes are in little chunks but not pureed (maybe 6-8 quick pulses).

I personally think the salsa tastes better after it has sat in the fridge for a few hours but I know some people would rather eat it right away.  To each his own.
6/20/08 10:58 PM
odysseyroc
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 minute salsa (hot). I make this one a lot, it doesn't take much work, but the chipotles give it a greaty smoky flavor.

1 14.5oz can of "fire roasted" diced tomatoes
1 can of chipotle chiles
3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons of onion, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons of white vinegar
Salt to taste

Throw everything in a blender and blend to desired consistency. You can add water if it's too thick

dry roasted jalapeno salsa.

3 roma tomatoes
2 medium tomatillos
2-5 jalapenos
4 cloves of garlic (keep the peel on)
juice of 1 lime
half of a small onion, roughly chopped
about 15 sprigs of cilantro, chopped.
salt to taste

Take a heavy skillet set to medium high heat and place a square of aluminum foil in the center. Place tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic on the skillet and roast all over until everything starts to have black spots all over and soften up.

Peel the garlic and remove stems from jalapenos. Throw everything in the blender and puree.
6/23/08 11:08 AM
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My Fresh Chipotle Salsa recipe is pretty basic. Easy to change up to use whatever chilies you like.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.