UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Anybody think wars in Iraq or Afhg will soon end?

6/22/08 1:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Graduate1
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Curious what those on the front line think? Will we pullout out soon or are we in it for the long haul (years)? Curious to what the average Joe thinks..
8/7/08 9:46 PM
StephenL
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

consider history.

US v Phillipines found in the early 1900s. troops there.

ww2 ended in 45. still have troops in germany, italy and japan.

korea stalemated over 50 years ago, and there are still troops on the 38th parallel.

the US does not like to give up ground.
8/8/08 8:44 AM
BigDaddyPerkins
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do some research on fighting an insurgency and answer your own question. Fighting insurgencies are like eating soup with a knife, slow and messy. And that can also be your first book. "Eating Soup With A Knife" by John Nagl.
8/8/08 9:32 AM
JeffMiller

Good book.
11/22/08 7:22 PM
kimohapa

Personally and from looking at things from a real world view, no way we will be there a long time. The good thing is that now they are starting to see that we aren't so bad and that Al Quaeda and the Taliban are the true enemy and are asking for help. People think that we hate all of the Iraqi people, but I feel sorry for them, they just seem like m=normal people caught in a bad situation.
12/23/08 10:08 AM
AceofSpades
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I say no. The best example of what we will look like in Iraq and Afghanistan is Korea. I would not be surprised to see US Soldiers assigned there for a year hardship tour acting as trainers and advisors, with some IA assigned to US Commands. Much like the KATUSA and ROK Soldiers in Korea. I think that this will be a strategic location (i.e. a foothold to keep militants at bay) and we will be there for quite some time.
1/14/09 3:04 PM
GreatWhiteHype

I like to think we'll pull out of most of the FOB's in the coming years, but I expect Bagram and Baghdad to turn into permanant bases like Korea.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.