UnderGround Forums

Africa UnderGround >> If Obama wins...

6/22/08 7:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BodyandSoul
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Then both Canada and the U.S. will have a black head of state. Of course, ours (50 year old Michaelle Jean) is much hotter:

6/22/08 8:00 PM
ABE FROMAN
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It will be interesting to say the least.
6/22/08 9:03 PM
BodyandSoul

It's supposed to be a post about how hot Michaelle Jean is... stop trolling with political discussion.
6/22/08 9:11 PM
BodyandSoul

racist.

6/23/08 8:03 AM
BodyandSoul

fearlessthinker -  LOL at BodyandSoul.

He's legitmately funny, and everybody seems to miss it.

Thanks... I try really hard.

6/24/08 2:39 AM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Obama has no chance of winning. Hillary would not have had a chance at winning either. America isn't ready to overlook race or gender.

Hell, we've only had one Catholic President, and he got shot in the head.

I hope I'm wrong, but fear I'm not.
6/24/08 2:47 AM
ABE FROMAN
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mullet @ Heart - Obama has no chance of winning. Hillary would not have had a chance at winning either. America isn't ready to overlook race or gender.

Hell, we've only had one Catholic President, and he got shot in the head.

I hope I'm wrong, but fear I'm not.
When you say 'America' who exactly is included in that equation?

6/24/08 3:06 AM
BodyandSoul

Holy fuck I'm not even joking now! I seriously put up this thread to discuss the beautiful creature that is The Right Honourable Michaelle Jean... and nothing. K-Dub was obviously wrong when he said liking women was a prerequisite for being here.
6/24/08 3:08 AM
ABE FROMAN

LOL. MY BAD!!!!! She's hot!!!!
6/24/08 3:26 AM
BodyandSoul

fearlessthinker -  Not hot.

The messed up thing is that on a gut reaction level I was more offended by that than anything else I've ever seen you write. You do realize she's 50?

Good night all.

6/24/08 3:34 AM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/24/08 3:34 AM
ABE FROMAN - IWhen you say 'America' who exactly is included in that equation?

Registered voters.
6/24/08 3:42 AM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 06/24/08 2:43 PM
Mullet @ Heart - Registered voters.
I guess we'll have to see which America prevails because there are a lot more registered voters than just the ones who won't support blacks or females.

6/24/08 12:47 PM
Mullet @ Heart

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I've just spent too much time in the political polling business to believe America is ready to open it's mind.
6/24/08 3:05 PM
Mullet @ Heart

I didn't say America was (or wasn't) racist.
6/24/08 4:03 PM
DARKSON

fearlessthinker -  Please...

The fact he's done so well serves as evidence that America is not racist. 
I think him doing well shows that the majority of Americans would vote for a black man as president but I still wouldn't go as far as to say that this proves that America is not racist.

Im certain that many of the people that voted for Barak wouldn't want him marrying their daughters.

6/24/08 5:09 PM
DARKSON

fearlessthinker -  DARKSON,

I don't disagree about Barack, but not wanting your daughters to marry outside their race doesn't make anyone a racist. That's really judgmental thinking(to me, at least). 

I agree that there are reasons for not wanting to marry outside of a race other than racism but racism has to be a major reason.  If not the main reason.
6/24/08 5:37 PM
BodyandSoul

fearlessthinker -  DARKSON,

I don't disagree about Barack, but not wanting your daughters to marry outside their race doesn't make anyone a racist. That's really judgmental thinking(to me, at least). 

Of course it's racism. We've stigmatized racism so much that people are increasingly trying to rationalize it as something else so they don't seem like a bad person. Not wanting your child to marry outside their race can be nothing other than racism... the question that's really being asked is does that make one a bad person?
6/24/08 5:44 PM
ABE FROMAN

BodyandSoul -
Of course it's racism. We've stigmatized racism so much that people are increasingly trying to rationalize it as something else so they don't seem like a bad person. Not wanting your child to marry outside their race can be nothing other than racism... the question that's really being asked is does that make one a bad person?
The very first question one could ask a person to find out if they are racist would be 'would you let your child marry outside of their race'? I would bet the sizable majority of people you think are cool would fail.

Any 'good reasons' for not wanting them to do so would be YOUR reasons not theirs, so yea that's an ism in my opinion.

6/25/08 1:22 AM
ABE FROMAN

fearlessthinker - 
I believe in diversity, identity and tradition. If you believe differently, fine, but it's ethnocentric to appoint yourself as some arbiter of ideological morality. Not everyone is the same or should be expected to think the same.
Those concepts are the total opposite in nature. From what I can see here you're saying that you have a right to forbid your children to date interacially and still not be a racist, correct? How can you believe in 'diversity' at the same time?

Also, on a daily basis I can see your postings on the OG that paint blacks as criminals and lowlives. I could find several right now if I were willing to go that far (which I am not).

I dont really understand you, it goes without saying that you will post the most horrible things about blacks yet you seem to believe we should ignore what you say and/or not be offended by it. Also, you seem to want to have these conversations or interactions with us yet you still keep your troubled opinions intact. I don't get it.

Also, this isn't the OG - we won't be having extended conversations like this on a daily basis, this isn't race ground. I just don't get what you're trying to accomplish here. We're criminals and lowlives, correct? Why interact with us at all?
6/25/08 9:35 AM
BodyandSoul

BodyAndSoul... any pics of your head of state showing some mams? :-)  Not bad for a 50 year old....

I just doesn't seem right because she truly is an exceptional lady and I can't dirty here like that (at least not publicly).

And sorry all if I contribute a bit too much to turning this into the race ground. I spend about half of my academic time reading and writing about racism and admit to selfishly using the OG to generate ideas and get over my writer's block. That said, the Africa ground has been a breath of fresh air (even though I wasn't initially invited *sulk*) because while I like hearing different views, I really don't care what idiots like angryinch or shitty trolls like Bubblebass have to add.

Fearlessthinker, you are a bit of a contradiction dude. (edited cause I was starting to write more but really need to get to work). Anyways, my current thing is that I think we have to separate racism from morality in order to have discussions about it that actually accomplish something... racism (even if it wasn't called that before) wasn't always seen as bad; rather, it overtime became associated with being something negative. And now (and in part because of this) the pendulum is swinging back the other way with all these folks (obamaism) pissed about how they can't say anything without being called a racist... this is where the stigmatization comes in because some people get sincerely upset thinking that being called a racist automatically means you're the worst piece of shit around - we can't conceive that someone could be racist and yet still be a good parent or neighbour, give to charity and do good deeds, have integrity, or even have a bunch of black/brown/etc. friends who they like on a individual basis... okay now I'm just rambling. I think it's so interesting though.

6/25/08 6:27 PM
BodyandSoul

Oh... I'm not so much a VIP... guess I'll just drop in from time to time :)
6/26/08 11:18 PM
BodyandSoul

Edited: 06/26/08 11:23 PM
GT99 -  didnt read all the posts, but I am pretty shocked that the USA might have a black president before Canada has a black leader

I thought we would be first.

that is really wierd for me because it wouldnt be as big of a deal here.

either way I am Canadian but we depend on US politics, I hope Obama wins and not due to the fact he is a black man, although that would be a huge milestone, I am just more liberal
But technically we do have a black leader (and a beautiful one at that). As Governor General, Michaelle Jean is the Queen's appointed representative - people can say what they want about it being ceremonial, but she's the fucking boss... HNIC. 

*Edited to add that Obama kicks McCain's ass in Canadian polls. It's not even close... like 60% to 15%... even in Alberta Obama blows him away.
6/26/08 11:31 PM
BodyandSoul

Edited: 06/26/08 11:31 PM
K-Dub-"T" -  That's what my family in Canada says also for the most part.

MY POST MOTHERFUCKERS - DID YOU READ IT! Our leader is black.

Keep in mind that Canada's black population is only about 2%. We're the third most populous 'minority' after South Asians and Chinese.

6/26/08 11:49 PM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 06/26/08 11:54 PM
fearlessthinker - 
I might have negative feelings towards certain groups but those feelings are underpinned by some empirical evidence. I'm yet to see any "anti-racists" provide any factual evidence for their stereotypes. Earlier this year Brendasu was saying how racist people in Iowa were and i remember asking her how she knew that to be true and she was basically refering to media depiction of rural people to support her case.
Here's your evidence, individuals arent a crowd of people, 1 person doesn't equal 5 people. You don't seem to know how to differentiate from individuals and groups. Every concept to you is a statistic, leaving no explanation for those those who don't fit into your stats. If there's anything more annoying that someone who can decide they like a person based upon statistics it's someone who believes that racism is over-inflated by people who have something to gain. That might work with Al Sharpton but Leroy from Flatbush doesn't get air time or college benfits for crying racism.

And the worse thing is that knowing these beliefs are yours you would choose to hang around a bunch of black people to tell them these are your beliefs. Truly fucked up.

6/27/08 12:08 AM
ABE FROMAN

First, of course I don't believe you, I've seen what you've written. Second, the road ends here on this conversation. That's why I believe you and others have come here - it's where you know there are minorities and it gives you the ability to have these conversations. I'm opting out. This won't turn into race-ground.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.