UnderGround Forums

Africa UnderGround >> Rev. Wright?

6/23/08 7:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BodyandSoul
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honest question which I thought would get too many jackass responses on the OG:

What did Rev. Wright say originally that was so racist? I think he's a douche, especially after his interviews, and I think he was simplistic and/or wrong, but must have missed the racist bit.

I thought Father Pfleger on the other hand was bang on except for the fact that the entitlement more accurately described a lot of Clinton supporters than Clinton herself.

Lately it seems like black folk aren't even close to having the monopoly on being overly sensitive about racial issues.
6/23/08 9:13 PM
BodyandSoul

Thanks for the response and link.

I really don't like his message - it's a throwback to a confrontational style of protest that was absolutely necessary way back when but now seems essentialist, backwards, and counterproductive.

I see the 'God Damn America' bit as a clever rhetorical device, but I'm Canadian and hating on our government is a bit of a national requirement (I'm exaggerating, a bit).

'The Chickens coming home to roost' is true but he's an asshole for being so flippant about it.

Finally, the rich white people part is the one place where I really agreed with him - of course this assuming that the vast majority of white people don't fall into this category and they're fucked over as well.
6/23/08 9:44 PM
ABE FROMAN

I don't really remember all of the things Rev. Wright said so I can't really speak on it, but I do know that those older guys have a 60's style and method to dealing with civil rights. I often see Sharpton and those guys as heavy-handed so I know I'd think the same about Wright.
6/24/08 12:25 AM
StretchPlum

Edited: 06/24/08 1:06 AM
nm
6/24/08 12:32 AM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 06/24/08 12:42 AM
StretchPlum - What was funny was Obama separating himself and Wright giving a little wink like "I know you have to do that but you really agree with me". As has been said, Obama was black for the Democratic primaries, and now he's half white for the general election. Wright's sermons, though, point out the hypocrisy of liberals criticizing the Christian Right for mixing religion and politics. The social gospel has been a staple of black churches for years and no one ever complained about it. The Berrigans were another example. It's just a matter of whose ox is being gored.
Have you attended any black churches for 'years'? How do you know what goes on in them? TV?

This thread is becoming dangerously close to what we'd see on the OG and I don't like it.

6/24/08 12:38 AM
StretchPlum

Edited: 06/24/08 12:58 AM
nm
6/24/08 12:46 AM
ABE FROMAN

StretchPlum - "Have you attended any black churches for 'years'? How do you know what goes on in them? TV?

This thread is becoming dangerously close to what we'd see on the OG and I don't like it."

You haven't either if you don't know the "social gospel" is a prime, open and touted-as-desirable part of it. Berrigans are white by the way. Tell you what though---you don't own this forum and I don't give a shit whether you like it or not. But I'll delete it since it doesn't fit.
Having been to a trillion black churches over the years I'm wondering how you can come here to tell everybody what they should know, or that Obama is playing a colors game. And you'll delete it because you were wrong.

6/24/08 12:54 AM
StretchPlum

Edited: 06/24/08 1:04 AM
nm
6/24/08 12:58 AM
ABE FROMAN

It's just mildly insulting for the average white guy on the street having seen the Rev. Wright controversy to be able to sum up the black experience based on that event.
6/24/08 1:04 AM
StretchPlum

Edited: 06/25/08 10:39 AM
"Looking for an echo...an answer to our sound...
A place to live in harmony...a place we almost found"

"The gypsies say, and I know why...
A falling blossom only touches lips that lie"
6/24/08 1:10 AM
StretchPlum

Edited: 06/24/08 1:15 AM
nm
6/24/08 1:13 AM
ABE FROMAN

I read it.
6/24/08 3:12 AM
BodyandSoul

ABE FROMAN - 
This thread is becoming dangerously close to what we'd see on the OG and I don't like it.

Not even close for me yet. I love a good and civil argue... it's the stupid snide remarks (e.g. "typical", "Where's Al Sharpton now?", etc.) that contributed nothing that had me almost leaving this site.

6/24/08 3:22 AM
BodyandSoul

GT99 - 

haha, good stuff BodyandSoul...where you from man?

Ontario?

yes our politics are pretty messed, although like the US we basically have only 2 parties, I cant vote for Liberals, I have so much hate for them its not funny, stricktly based on the Ontario liberals and our attorney general mr Bryant in particular, that man has fucked me in a stronger way than any politician ever has and I hate the man for being a complete idiot who knows nothing about what he was talking about, yet passed a law to fuck me even after it was proven to be ineffective.

oh and just so you know, I vote NDP instead of liberal based on that alone

Hey,

Right now I'm in Ontario but grew up in Manitoba spent four years in Montreal and four years in Halifax. I'm intrigued by the Bryant story???

Used to be a card-carrying NDPer, but a lot of the self-righteous elitists as well as the party's tendency to play politics while pretending they're above politics have turned me off. I have to spit when I think of the Conservatives, but at least they kind of stand for something unlike the greasy Liberals. So I'm a man without a party right now... just vote for the candidate I like best in my riding.
6/24/08 9:01 PM
BodyandSoul

GT99,

Far from laughing I also thought that bill was a fucking disgrace... Growing up around dogs, I'd rather they had a law that parents must teach their stupid fucking kids how to properly approach a dog.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.