UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Handguns...help a noob?

6/23/08 7:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
paw
1351 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know that if I ask "what handgun should I get as my first handgun?" folks will tell me to go to a gun shop and such --- and really, that's my first question.

What qualities should I look for in a good gun shop?

and

What qualities should I look for in a good sales rep?

6/24/08 1:05 AM
Skpotamus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try to find a gunshop that supports local ranges and shooting events. They typically aren't as $$$ hungry as others.

If you can find a gun shop that has NRA instructors on hand, that'd be even better.

As far as salesmen, well, when I was working in gunshops we tried to be as honset as possible, but when working on commission we would do what we could to get paid. Try to find a shop that's not on commissionn. A good salesman will show you as many options as possible, get feedback from you on what you like and don't like, and listen to you. If you start feeling pressured by a salesman, leave. Period, end of discussion. Also, don't be in a hurry to buy something at the first shop you go to, shop around at different places, dig around online and check out the various gun forums out there for as much info as possible.

Good luck, and happy hunting.
6/24/08 10:46 AM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you go to a store that's also a range, see if you can practice with a variety of weapons to find which one works for you.

I'm a TERRIBLE shot so I gravitated towards semi-automatics and away from revolvers, ultimately settling on a 9mm Glock because it was so relatively easy to fire.

BTW, if you ever want to cross the pond to come to the east side, there's a great shop out here called Wade's that I sometimes go shooting at.
6/26/08 10:35 PM
paw
1351 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Buddhadev, I'll have to check that out.
6/30/08 4:04 PM
ViewType
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ask the salesman what's the best gun for a beginner. If he says ANYTHING other than, "it depends," get out. He's hawking a product, not tailoring his response to your needs.

Also, if he ever, EVER says something stupid like "GLOCK/Sig/Beretta is what (appropriate federal agency) uses," leave. None of that is in any way relevant to what an average gun owner needs, so you know he's just trying to live in a fantasy world and pretend he's a federal agent.
7/3/08 3:22 PM
Kai Tremeche

ViewType is absolutely correct.
7/8/08 2:15 AM
moonrunrs

Go to a range, rent a bunch of guns and figure out which one you like best. Don't just rely on salespeople and gun shops.

Know what you want the gun for -- target practice, defense, etc.

If possible, take a beginner's course in handgun shooting for the application you're interested in -- target, combat, etc. Most will go over buying for the beginner.
7/8/08 8:34 PM
sreiter

.45 acp there is no other gun
7/11/08 7:44 AM
Brent Fox

PAW,
Best to ask locals in your area about prefered shops. You may have limited choices, but do your homework before purchasing your gun. It should fit your hand well for operating smoothly. Caliber is not as important as your ability to put rounds on target. Of course I wouldn't go less than 9mm or .38, but Grandma/Grandpa may have weak wrists and only be able to handle a .22! (PS, more people are killed with small calibers than people realize, it's the hits that count.)

It is important to buy a pistol that matches it's primary use. As a trainer for self defense I would pick a gun to carry, diffrently than a gun that may just sit at home or be used for sport. For self defense training, learn point shooting skills (sights are RARELY seen in gunfights) but also learn to shoot with precision.
Same with training. If it is kept loaded for self defense you REALLY NEED to take a course of instruction that includes your state laws on use of deadly force. Don't end up the sharpest shooter in prison! Even with "Castle Laws" you can end up paying thousands in legal fees if there is any question as to your claim of self defense.

Good Luck!
Brent Fox
www.FoxDefensiveTraining.com
7/11/08 5:13 PM
paw

Thanks for the advice all!
7/13/08 2:30 AM
HarryLime

".45 acp there is no other gun"

Tell that to all the people who have been killed with 9mm, 38spcl, 357mag, etc
7/14/08 9:14 AM
Dark Knight
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is it that a 9mm is crappy but a 38 revolver is a good choice?
7/14/08 4:00 PM
Willybone
381 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/14/08 4:06 PM
Why is it that a 9mm is crappy but a 38 revolver is a good choice?

Private detectives carry 38s. Nazis carry 9mm autos.
You want to be Mike Hammer or Dr. Mengele?
Don't be an un-American, anti-semetic, murderous, Metric system lover, buy a wheelgun made in the good ol' you es of ay, my friend, and make your mom proud with a god fearing .38.

7/15/08 12:39 PM
Dark Knight
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool, I get it now!
7/20/08 10:43 PM
pumpkinpuss
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" Why is it that a 9mm is crappy but a 38 revolver is a good choice?"

PLUS the NYPD lets their old cops carry the .38. if the rootin toontin shootinest police force on this earth or any other allows their badge wearing codgers to carry this calibre, then by god it can make anyone cool by association with awesomeness too.
7/22/08 9:57 AM
Willybone
381 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/22/08 2:18 PM
Young punk NYC cops carry 9mm Glocks.
Popeye Doyle says, "Hi, you pussys."

Guys with .38s get hot dames with gams that go all the way up.

7/23/08 10:11 AM
fokket

Are you considering a handgun for

a) carry?

b) recreational?
7/25/08 1:13 AM
dnwsr
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i just got an s+w .38 special (642). i've gone to the range a few times with friends, but this is the first one i've owned. i was looking for a good ccw and this seemed to fit my interests the best.
7/25/08 7:31 AM
Dark Knight

Nice little gun, good choice.
5 shot, no hammer.
7/25/08 9:25 AM
Willybone

i just got an s+w .38 special (642).

I put a Crimson Trace grip on my model 36, and it's sweet.
Next step is bobbing the hammer and then it'll be my ideal CCW.
7/26/08 1:56 PM
T0ki

Willybone,

I have a Taurus snub 38 that can handle +P. Friends tell me the Crimson Trace are worth it. If you don't mind me asking, how much are they?
7/28/08 8:12 AM
Willybone

Edited: 07/28/08 8:29 AM
I love mine.

I got them for a song from a local dealer, $75. They're an older, hard plastic set. The new ones have more recoil padding. I was seeing those online for $175-$200. Fatter, but no longer than the orginals, I can get a more controlling grip than with the orginal wood panels.

At home, I do a lot of draw-dryfire practice with it. It shows you how your point of aim changes during trigger squeeze by seeing the dot jump on the wall. You can also purposely not squeeze the on switch, instinctively point on target, and then hit the switch to check your instinct.

At the range:
15 single action shots at 50 feet. Previously, suckage admitted, I couldn't hit shit with the 1.75" barrel and shallow sights.

For defensive shooting, even though I have read and respected the detracting arguments of some well-trained professionals, I can NOT imagine how having this thing on my gun would NOT help me put more lead on target faster.

I definitely think they're worth the money for a defensive gun. I certainly don't need them on my long revolvers, but when I buy another CCW gun, I'll buy another set of Crimson Trace grips.

*edit* Oh yeah, I bobbed the hammer yesterday. Did a butcher's job of it, but the snag factor is way down now.

11/28/08 1:20 AM
1911fanatic

sreiter - .45 acp there is no other gun

As my screen name would indicate, I have that same preference.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.