UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Any Marines out there have experience with MRAP?

6/25/08 12:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Graduate1
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Curious whether any active / inactive Marine or anybody else in the forces deployed to Iraq or Afh have driven in one of these vehicles. Also, I would like to here any comments about the differences with respect to the various MRAP's (ie. MaxxPro, Cougar and RG's) and which one you think is the best out there. Thanks and be safe..
6/27/08 7:55 AM
TheRenegadeSperm
554 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Army 11b here. I would consider myself close to being an expert. I've spent about 600 hours driving or riding in MaxxPro and RG33 vehicles.

The biggest issues we have with the vehicles are their size and maneuverability in the neighborhoods. There's no power regulatory agency in Iraq that I know of, and so all the power lines hang very low. Initially when we got these vehicles we would take down power lines all over the place, which not only pissed off the locals but also posed a danger to the gunners. Wire guides have been implemented by some units, but all ours got ripped off during casevac and react to contact.

The vehicles ride rough, although I've heard the Caiman is pretty smooth. You get bounced around a lot, due to the stiff suspension, many guys are complaining about back problems from the bumps, which is exacerbated by the weight of the vest.
I think the MaxxPro is taller than the RG33, but the RG33 is 28 feet long, so both have their disadvantages. They are both very fast for a vehicle of that size. The RG33 is almost impossible to get stuck, with 6 wheels, Differential Lock, and AWD. Personally I prefer it over the MaxxPro on MSRs.

I'll add some more later but I got to roll right now.
6/27/08 10:14 AM
Graduate1
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Army 11b / Renegade.

So I am assuming you have had no experience relative to the Cougar? From what I have been told by others who have driven one and from what I have read, they are supposed to be the 'gold standard' relative to MRAP's. Also, the Cheetah (which has not been ordered yet by the services) is supposed to be a smaller version of the Cougar that is competing in the JLTV replacement program which is supposed to be alot safer than the Hummer due to the V-Bottom it has that could save soldiers from IED's. Thanks for any additional info...
6/27/08 11:46 AM
TheRenegadeSperm
554 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never ridden in a cougar. I have been hit in a MaxxPro with no damage to the occupants, and I have been hit in a humvee that resulted in two urgent surgical casualties.

In short, I love MRAPs.
6/27/08 11:52 AM
Graduate1

Have you heard anything about the Cougar Renegade from fellow soldiers? Curious. Thanks.
6/30/08 2:05 PM
TheRenegadeSperm

No.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.