UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Cutting Weight while using Creatine?

6/25/08 1:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SeanQuinn
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How far out should i could stop using the creatine? Do i need to cut it out at all? I am currently 155 while on it, and am cutting down to 135. I expect i will be trying to lose between 6-8 lbs of water weight to make 135. Any help would be appreciated. I dont normally have any trouble cutting weight, but this is my first time using creatine in about 8 years. Im using EAS Phosphate which is a monohydrate and Purple K which is the buffered or estherized creatine.
6/25/08 3:15 PM
vermonter
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Creatine can contribute a few extra pounds to you by increasing the demand for water. I suppose it depends on how long you have to lose weight, and how much body fat you have to lose.

-doug-
6/25/08 4:00 PM
SeanQuinn

My concern is that i dont want the creatine making it more difficult to lose that water weight. If the creatine holds in water, how long before the extra creatine in my system is gone and i wont have to worry about extra water retention??
6/25/08 4:00 PM
C-Hamzeh
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would definitely cut out the creatine if you need to cut water weight, especially if you will be using the sauna, etc. It's counter productive to be using creatine and trying to drop water at the same time. That's similar to sodium loading while trying to drop water weight (sorta).

Anyway, I'd say cut it out about 2 weeks before the weighin, but this is an individual thing.

PS: Sean, you're 155 on creatine? Damn man, you really were on the smaller side of 145 then? 135 is probably a fairly easy cut for you?
6/25/08 4:04 PM
C-Hamzeh
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/25/08 4:08 PM
Though I would be interested of hearing about anyone who has used creatine up until the weighin day successfully and safely while cutting a significant amount of weight (8-10% of bodyweight). Sean, you should try it and report back!
6/25/08 4:47 PM
SeanQuinn

Ive used Purple K right up to weigh ins but never the monohydrate. I am small for 145, i dont really cut anything unless i overeat my breakfast on that day. 135 is good for me, its an easy cut but im still a good size. I wrestled a tournament in March at 132. No problem making that weight either, although i did look like i just escaped a POW camp. I figured cutting it out 10-14 days before would be the way to go.
6/25/08 6:34 PM
SJFou

2 weeks according to bodybuilding principles (ripping up for comps)
6/26/08 1:38 PM
SeanQuinn

SJFou - 2 weeks according to bodybuilding principles (ripping up for comps)

thank you, any other experiences or advice?
1/30/13 5:53 PM
Brian Rule
382 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thread bump...

Just searched this topic as I have a MT competition about five weeks away and I'm about 10 lbs over right now. Weigh-ins the are day before so I can cut obviously, but given I'm taking creatine at the moment I'm curious as to how that will affect my weight/water retention/cut. I see two weeks noted above.. any changes to this figure? Many thanks everyone
1/31/13 10:54 AM
Sean Quinn

I can you tell you that i regularly use Krealkylin (purple K) and dont have any issues even when cutting. If you're using a monohydrate i would come off 2 weeks ahead. I lose 5-10 just by coming off creatine when i'm using a monohydrate.

1/31/13 2:37 PM
Taku
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

C-Hamzeh,

WOW...long time brother. How are you?

Just wanted to say hi.

TAKU

2/8/13 5:24 PM
BLPorritt
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 weeks Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.