UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Quick Burgers on the BBQ?

6/26/08 5:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SE7ENFOLD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whats your fave burger to make when in a pinch for time ( I mean, ya got SOME time to flavor them and stuff, NOT JUST MEAT).

1/2 Onion (diced)
1 clove garlic (made into a paste with coarse salt)
1 lb beef
palm full of pepper spice medley
3/4 of a wedge of Smoked Gouda

Makes 4 burgers
6/26/08 5:20 PM
SE7ENFOLD

A few weeks ago, I made Goat Cheese stuffed Burgers. The goat cheese was plain, not aged, not flavored or anything. This was my first time trying Goat Cheese. It was OK.

I stuffed a wad of cheese inside the burgers so it had a pocket of cheese in the middle. It was OK. I thikn if the cheese was flavored, it might have been better.

They were better the next day without the bun and dunked in ketchup.
6/26/08 7:09 PM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/26/08 7:09 PM
 I mix the meat with a little worcestershire, and sprinkle my BBQ rub on the outside. Sometimes I "stuff" it with sharp cheddar or blue cheese, and sometimes crumbled bacon if I have it on hand.

I make an awesome lamb burger that I stuff with feta and kalamata olives

6/27/08 8:56 AM
crescentwrench
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do the goat cheese and feta melt well?  Or at all?  Some cheeses aren't condusive to burgers, they'll be grainy n' crap.  I do the occasional bleu cheese but usually stick with boring ol' cheddar.  When I was a kid I did a Hawaiian burger with a pineapple slice in the middle because I saw it on the old Burgermeister TV show.  I thought I was the shit for pulling that off but it just tasted odd for my podunk tastes at the time. 

I rarely do a plain ol' meat patty with salt and pepper unless I know I have some quality stuff (which I can do now that little brother works in the meat dept at the store).  For my simplest burger I do James Beard's favorite recipe, I think.  I take an onion and run it through the small holes in my cheese grater.  not the parmesan holes but the small nacho holes.  I add that to the meat with a splash of heavy cream and of course salt and pepper. 

I mix A-1 in a patty sometimes too if I'm too lazy even for that.  I like Worcestershire but I always put so much in that the meat won't hold together.  I wind up feeding the charcoal instead of my belly.

That lamb burger sounds outstanding.  Do you dress it with tzatziki?  Hey, that's a good idea, gyroburger!  My favorite sammich with my favorite grilled item!  I'm off to find out what spices are in a gyro meatcone. 
6/27/08 4:28 PM
alpo

I would usually just do like a pound of beef, some minced onion and garlic, a couple dashes of Worcestershire, salt and pepper. 

I throw in a couple tbsp of breadcrumbs and, unless it's really fatty, an egg to help it hold together, but they must rest for at least 15 minutes in the fridge for it to work.

For emergencies, I usually keep jars of sauerkraut, sliced mushrooms and roasted peppers in the pantry.  Any of those would be good.  Tobasco chipotle mixes well with strong cheeses, like blue cheese crumbles.  I grow some of my own herbs and I pretty much always have fresh greens, onions, tomatoes and peppers on hand, so I can make pico de gallo, a quick pesto, sauteed onions/peppers or  whatever.

Another thing that's good to have that lasts forever is sundried tomatoes.

I use fresh ingredients when possible, but I think a lot of people understimate how valuable keeping some canned goods around can be.  Some canned goods also come in much smaller containers than you can buy fresh, which cuts down on wastefulness and can save you money.  I am a big fan of those little cans of juice... they last forever before expiring and they work great for things like marinades, stir frys and basting.
6/27/08 4:50 PM
alpo

crescentwrench - Do the goat cheese and feta melt well?  Or at all?

Goat cheese does, I use it all the time.  I don't think I've stuffed anything hot with feta before, but I know feta doesn't melt worth a damn on brick oven style pizzas...by the time it starts melting, it's starting to burn. 
6/30/08 9:11 AM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What i make depends on what veggies are in season. During tomato season i always put hot salsa on top.

What i have been making lately is a normal patty with some rosemary (from the plant growing next to my grill) inside with salt and pepper. Served with grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, avacado and muenster cheese on whole wheat toast.
7/1/08 5:05 PM
Mullet @ Heart
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 lbs chuck roast
1 lb top sirloin
1 lb pastrami

Grind, mix together with garlic powder and kosher salt.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.