UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Auditioning a new guitarist....any tips?

6/27/08 2:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
El_Varaco
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so my band is looking for an extra guitar dude, nothing special just someone to bring more ideas and make the sound beefier

I've never held auditions before, all the other guitarists we've had , were either friends of ours, or referrals of a friends.

I'm just curious, have any of you guys done this before?

what did you have him do? Learn your songs, play covers, have him teach us covers?

I basically know what to look for I just don't want the jam to end up with him standing in a corner with his guitar and looking at us trying to keep up with the songs, I also want to know how I bring out the things I want to see (mainly creativity and groove)

any ideas?

thanks!
6/27/08 9:08 PM
Thelonious
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Give him a chart of your tune and recording. Even if he doesn't read notation he should be able to follow the form on the chart and learn the tune before you jam. Then improvise with him for the rest of the audition.

Make sure you like him. That's the most important thing in my opinion.
6/28/08 10:06 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best way is to give them a list of 5-10 covers to learn, then show him one or two originals and see how quickly he picks them up, if he gets the vibe and feel of your band.

The most important thing, second of course to making sure he can play, is his personality. Talk to him and see where he's coming from before and after you play, you don't want a conflicting personalities, an asshole, a know-it-all, a wanker or a primadonna bringing down the rest of the group. Thats the hardest part.
7/9/08 11:01 AM
Iron Man
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so how did the auditions go?
7/9/08 10:30 PM
El_Varaco
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks for the tips

first guy flaked out when i asked him to study some covers nothing too difficult some AIC stuff mostly, dude's just 17 he probably didn't think we were serious. Hopefully the rest won't.

[i]The most important thing, second of course to making sure he can play, is his personality. Talk to him and see where he's coming from before and after you play, you don't want a conflicting personalities, an asshole, a know-it-all, a wanker or a primadonna bringing down the rest of the group. Thats the hardest part.[/i]

ditto

prior to this we had another guitarist, he was ok and all but somehow we just couldn't work with him, he wasn't overtly arrogant, he just gave off that cocky vibe and somehow I knew he felt that he was better than us(which he wasn't), I later found out that he got kicked out of two bands for being too much of a control freak.
11/1/08 11:15 AM
The Noose

I just went through the same thing. Both guitarists quit at the smae time, both guys I grew up with. Sucked, but we got a replacement that is much better, less of a whiney douchebag, and has brought new life to the band. It wasnt easy, and we went through several auditions, but we found the right guy, and here is the formula:

Step-1: Post an ad on craigslist. You will get get some responses, not all good, but not all bad either.

Step-2: when you find someone who is interested, make sure you clearly describe what kind of band you are and what you want to find in a guitarist. Also, find out their age, job, family stuff, etc. You dont want to waste any valuable time trying out someone who works the night shift and cant play gigs anyway. Also, if you are a punk band, a country guitarist with 25 years experience isnt ganna work.

Ste-3 Audition. Give the guy a set list and tell him to pick out a few songs he wants to play. This gives him time to learn the songs before the audition so you dotn waste any time. Also, be willing to play a few songs he likes but arent in your set list. this gives you a good idea of what its gonna be like when you dont know a part and need the guitarist to help guide the band on learning a new song.

Step-4 Discuss ahead of time wuith your bandmates some fake excuses for ending the audition early. Nothin is worse than that awkward moment where you and the other guys know that this isnt the right guy, but he doesnt get the hints and really wants to be in the band. You can end an audition early by getting a phone call that requires everyone to go home.

Step-5 Dont settle. If you arent comfortable, its not gonna work. The guy may be a good player, but doesnt fit in. It wont work. The guy might fit in, but isnt a good player. It wont work. Their are probably a million guitar players who arent in a band who like the same things you like and want to do what your band is doing, so be patient.

Thats what we did. We auditoned about 6 different guys, and finally found a perfect fit and we are a better, happier band because of it. we are currently doing the same thing to find a keybaord player. So far so good.
11/1/08 11:56 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm amazed you found anybody decent on Craigslist!
11/1/08 1:48 PM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ lol...true-
11/4/08 6:04 PM
The Noose

DasBeaver - I'm amazed you found anybody decent on Craigslist!

Well, it wasnt easy. We tried out several who were absolutely horrible, but then all at once we found 3 different guys back to back to back that were fucking awesome and all seemed really cool. We went with the guy who seemed the most motivated and it worked out really well. The guy learned like 40 songs in about a month so we wouldnt have to cancel a gig. Thats puttin in some effort if you ask me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.