UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> suggest some clubs for a start up player

6/30/08 6:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ARfightfan
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am thinking about taking up golf again. It has been since high school since i played. What are some have to have items. I know the obvious but Im talking about drivers, grips, irons. What do you guys reccomend
7/2/08 8:33 AM
ErnestoT
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/02/08 8:35 AM
How much are you willing to spend on clubs? Do you see yourself playing a lot and sticking with the game? Or do you see yourself only playing once a month and not really taking it serious at all? If it's the later then I don't think it would be worth it to you to spend a lot on golf clubs and you should probably try to find a cheap used 14 piece set.

If you plan on taking it serious and you see yourself playing a lot. I would say as far as irons go with Mizuno. The MX series would be best because they are a cavity back iron and will be more forgiving compared to the MP series which are for the more experienced golfer that actually have the ability to hit the sweet spot over and over and also shape their shots. Mizuno feels buttery in your hands and you really know when you've hit a good shot. You can also find a good used set online which will help with the cost. Personally I use Mizuno MX25's. As far as grips for your clubs just visit a respectable golf store and have them take a look at your grip. If there's a lot of space between your hands and the club and you don't feel like you can get a good grip on the club without squeezing really hard then it would probably be best to move up in size. I have very long fingers so I needed over sized grips with 4 layers of tape underneath. It makes a huge difference as far as being able to control your swing in the backswing. If you don't have good control of your club your going to be fighting your swing in trying to get control of your club again.

As far as Drivers and woods I would say that's all preference. Go out and try and bunch and figure out which one works best for you. Same goes with putters.

Most importantly, if your willing to spend the money get golf lessons ASAP. It's better to get some lessons and start off with a good swing then to get used to a bad swing and try and get out of the habit. Also read some books like Ben Hogans fundamentals of golf and work on your grip!
7/2/08 10:09 AM
BigKiller

How about you go speak to a PGA professional about golf clubs not a few dudes on an MMA forum
7/7/08 1:44 AM
Gforce
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you are average height and build, the Wilson Ci7 is where it's at. Super clubs and great price.
7/7/08 2:17 AM
Ze Dano
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dr. Diggs - ^THAT attitude is why no one posts on the Golf forum Bigkiller.

Try not being an asshole and that might help.

Amen ..preach on brother Diggs
7/7/08 7:56 AM
BigKiller

Again, if someone really wants to get started in golf, asking a bunch of wannabes isn't going to get him anywhere.
7/7/08 11:44 AM
BigKiller

Edited: 07/07/08 11:51 AM
 LOL

Aren't you high and mighty now?

You know I've helped your game.

Again, anyone wanting to start playing golf should make a PGA pro their first stop.  Breaking bad habits is the hardest thing to do in a golf swing.  If you start on your own and develop bad habits, you'll spend years (and an assload of money) trying to correct them.

It's really that simple. 

But your post about buying Wilson Ci7s without knowing anything about this guys game was much better than my genuine post about how someone starting out could become good at golf in the shortest time possible.

I just got off a conference call with Butch Harmon and David Ledbetter and they're really worried that they'll lose all of their business to you.
7/7/08 8:04 PM
AGSa

Hogan BH-5's are the same as the old X-14's and can be had brand new for $200 bucks. I have played them for a year now and they are decent irons. I am upgrading to X-forged next year. BTW I am playing to a 12 hcp
7/8/08 7:59 AM
BigKiller

PGA pro (not some 18 year old)

Again, if someone has NEVER played golf, it's best to start with a pro.  It will avoid developing bad habits.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.