UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Gas at $7 a gallon

7/2/08 9:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
big_slacker
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some analysts (story in the WSJ a few days back) are saying we'll see $7 gas by 2010. Thats two years. They are estimating that it will force 10 million drivers off the road. These are folks with lower incomes who have a vehicle but for whom gas is currently 7% of income. It will (in this scenario) become 20% of their income, more than they can afford. Basically a lot of beaters coming off the road and a lot of people taking the bus.

Are you prepared for this? How would this affect you?

In my case I'll just pay the extra. My wife has a decently economical car (scion tC) and I have my motorcycle. My income allows a couple hundred buck swing to not make much of a dent.

But I suspect there will be a lot of douchebag urban assault trucks up for sale soon. And that makes me smile....
7/2/08 5:18 PM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

time to get a scooter :)
7/2/08 7:41 PM
pm1964
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will just pay it and live with it. My firm pays my gas for my work car, but ultimately that is coming out of my pocket anyway, since I am one of the two partners, but at least it is not taxable income to me and the firm gets to write it off as an expense..
7/3/08 9:32 AM
Govnor
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beg to work from home!

On a serious note, my next car was going to be a fun car, something I actually wanted.....the gas prices and potential gas prices coming have ruined my plans! Corolla or something like it will be purchased now.
7/4/08 12:23 AM
kanotoa
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think gas will hit $8 sooner than that.
7/5/08 10:43 AM
big_slacker
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Increasing the gap between the haves and have nots? Or sending people to the lifestyle they should have had in the first place?

I'm actually glad to see it and the economic downturn + gas prices might end up teaching us a lesson, at least for a little while. See, of late the economy was rolling but very much based on credit. You've got guys who make 50k a year driving hummers and 7 series BMWs.

Because its not a matter of whether you can really afford a luxury, but whether you can get the monthly payment low enough to swing it. Lease it, pay 700 a month and now you've arrived, right? Same thing with the house, the jetski and the big screen. You have no real assets but you look the part.

Now its, I can swing the lease on a hummer but OMG, $800 a month in gas! I better get a civic. Well that is what should have been purchased anyway based on your income.

That is in my dream world. In reality people will probably still buy hummers and just eat ramen noodles so they can swing a $240 fillup. ;)
7/5/08 5:44 PM
kanotoa
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think America is like that in general. I hope I can get my house paid off soon so I can be out of debt. I think greed is hurting our great country.
7/5/08 5:45 PM
kanotoa

On a side note I would love an electric motorcycle.
7/5/08 6:03 PM
Atecexa

"Are you prepared for this? How would this affect you?"

well with my Scooter i just recently bought getting around 100mpg I really don't care what gas goes up to. my wife barely drives anywhere anymore either. so let it go to $10/gal ill still only be spending a couple hundred bucks a month
7/5/08 7:47 PM
Mark1

Little effect, personally.  Even in my evil Hummer.

Mark
7/7/08 9:52 AM
Govnor

Atecexa - "Are you prepared for this? How would this affect you?"

well with my Scooter i just recently bought getting around 100mpg I really don't care what gas goes up to. my wife barely drives anywhere anymore either. so let it go to $10/gal ill still only be spending a couple hundred bucks a month
At $10 per gallon, this country will suffer greatly, you included. How do you think everything you buy gets to the store/warehouse? $10 a gallon would change the way people live here (really change, not like now).

7/7/08 12:37 PM
Frills
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You mean the US will be brought in line with what the europeans are dealing with?!?

Never...

Sorry but other countries adapted long ago
7/7/08 4:26 PM
Govnor

Frills.

It sucks in europe, no doubt about it. But you can't compare the two. Everything over here is based around cars. European countries have legit public transport alternatives in most areas. Not the case here at all.
7/7/08 5:31 PM
Frills
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The reason why it is completely different is due to the mindset of the consumer.

We never thought we would be affected by the higher prices and thus shunned all improvements on the public transpo infrastructure, now we must reap what we sew for the past few decades
7/8/08 10:14 AM
big_slacker

I don't think europe sucks at all. People walk more, are outside more, have local neighborhood stores. And its not like people don't have cars. My in laws have 2 plus a large work van to transport goods. (Wholesale business)

Frills is correct, come to vegas. The city government has steadfastly refused improvements to public transportation. The bus system sucks, there is no train despite having basically a blank slate to build on (big valley in the middle of the desert, no hills to build around, etc..) They decided to sprawl it out and say FU to people who want to walk, ride bikes or otherwise not drive. They are going to take it on the chin.

Portland OR (where I grew up) is the polar opposite. They built a badass train and bus system and put an urban growth boundary in place. You can get anywhere in the city and suburbs without owning a car.

Yes, we will have to adjust to the transport costs. It might even slow the growth of megastore like wal mart. Maybe we'll see a few smaller neighborhood stores again....
7/8/08 11:50 AM
Govnor

big_slacker - I don't think europe sucks at all. People walk more, are outside more, have local neighborhood stores. And its not like people don't have cars. My in laws have 2 plus a large work van to transport goods. (Wholesale business)

Frills is correct, come to vegas. The city government has steadfastly refused improvements to public transportation. The bus system sucks, there is no train despite having basically a blank slate to build on (big valley in the middle of the desert, no hills to build around, etc..) They decided to sprawl it out and say FU to people who want to walk, ride bikes or otherwise not drive. They are going to take it on the chin.

Portland OR (where I grew up) is the polar opposite. They built a badass train and bus system and put an urban growth boundary in place. You can get anywhere in the city and suburbs without owning a car.

Yes, we will have to adjust to the transport costs. It might even slow the growth of megastore like wal mart. Maybe we'll see a few smaller neighborhood stores again....
Er...I meant the gas prices suck. I'm from London BTW. I have no problem with public transport at all. But the fact is, most of the US will take a long long time to get up to speed on this. I don't even know if it is possible for me to get public transport from home to work within say a 3 hour time frame and I live in a city.

7/8/08 3:57 PM
kanotoa

I am converting my enduro into more of a street bike. I like it because I can climb curbs and drive on dirt roads to get around traffic. I am increasing the gearing, the street version of my bike gets 80 MPG which is almost as good as a scooter, I think a motorcycle is safer than a scooter and more practical. Operating costs are a little higher and you need insurance and a motorcycle license.

I also like the enduros because they are made for handing crashes, not that I intend on crashing. I always wear my helmet just in case though.
7/8/08 5:02 PM
Atecexa

"I think a motorcycle is safer than a scooter and more practical. Operating costs are a little higher and you need insurance and a motorcycle license."

How is a motorcycle safer than a scooter? 2 wheels is still 2 wheels. More practical only from a sense that you can go on hiways and not confined solely to back roads. Any scooter above 49cc you need a license for anyway. I do plan on getting a bike next yr mostly so I can use the hiwys and cut my commute times down. How do the enduro style dirtbikes do at hiwy speeds? They look very tall and skinny and the tires are very thin

"At $10 per gallon, this country will suffer greatly, you included. How do you think everything you buy gets to the store/warehouse? $10 a gallon would change the way people live here (really change, not like now)."

We've already put measures in place to get around it 1 being the scooter for me to drive 9mo of the year. Buying more bulk raw material food products and just basically trying to live with a lot more financial margin in our lives. Which I know is a foreign concept to our society of get it know and go deep in debt doing it. Will I be affected by it of course but will it ruin me...no
7/8/08 10:06 PM
big_slacker

"How is a motorcycle safer than a scooter?"

Better brakes, more power and better handling to get out of the way.

Gotcha Govnor, yes, there are some major cities in the US that are ready (NY, Chicago, Portland immediately come to mind) but most are gonna be playing serious catch up.
7/11/08 3:33 PM
kanotoa

Small scooters are great for commuting in a city, they are asinine when they hold up traffic driving slower than the speed limits.

Here in Hawaii we have monster pot holes that out devourer those small front tires.
7/11/08 3:43 PM
Atecexa

Better brakes, more power and better handling to get out of the way.

I would say in general most motorcycles have better brakes than most scooter but my little Aprilia with a front disc/rear drum comes down pretty fast and i only have to stop about 1/2 the weight of most bikes and since the top speed is only 45 i could stop with my shoes (exaggerating) from 45 quicker than a motorcycle could stop from 60+. How does power make one safer? My 50cc can do 50mph which is more than enough to keep up with traffic on any surface street I ride on. A lot of the scooters coming out today can handle pretty damn good and with the smaller size are more manueverable than larger bikes.
7/11/08 7:49 PM
big_slacker

"How does power make one safer?"

Spoken like a scooter rider! ;)

You're on a 2 lane with a curb to your right. You glance at your mirror and see an asian lady in an H2 talking on her cell about to run you down. There is a huge douchebag truck to your left and your only option is hitting the curb and bailing or getting run down. With a sportbike you either just twist the throttle or at worst downshift and get the hell outta dodge. With a scooter you get ready for some pain.

This is just one example, but I've avoided numerous bad spots with nothing more than my right hand.

Top speed of 45 gets your run down in Vegas. Its laid out in a grid and all the major streets are 45mph limits. Everyone is doing 50-60 and I someone rear end a parked double decker bus today. Never catch me on a scooter, a bicycle is safer if you ride it on the sidewalk!

As for braking, compare apples to apples. Course you can't go 60 so there is no data. But my VFR (linked brakes) which probably weighs 500 with a full tank can stop from 60 in 108 feet.
7/13/08 1:49 PM
Kona Silat
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Increasing the gap between the haves and have nots? Or sending people to the lifestyle they should have had in the first place?

which is?

more like it will encourage more people to shop online.
7/16/08 9:17 AM
big_slacker

"which is?"

Drive less, move more. There are a variety of reasons why this in beneficial to the person, the environment, peace of mind, strong neighborhoods, etc.... Even if you can afford the gas you will think about your habits more if it hits you in the wallet.

"more like it will encourage more people to shop online."

Shipping costs still increase. Even 'free' shipping is passed to the consumer via higher prices.
7/24/08 11:30 AM
Atecexa

""How does power make one safer?"

Spoken like a scooter rider! ;)

You're on a 2 lane with a curb to your right. You glance at your mirror and see an asian lady in an H2 talking on her cell about to run you down. There is a huge douchebag truck to your left and your only option is hitting the curb and bailing or getting run down. With a sportbike you either just twist the throttle or at worst downshift and get the hell outta dodge. With a scooter you get ready for some pain.

This is just one example, but I've avoided numerous bad spots with nothing more than my right hand.

Top speed of 45 gets your run down in Vegas. Its laid out in a grid and all the major streets are 45mph limits. Everyone is doing 50-60 and I someone rear end a parked double decker bus today. Never catch me on a scooter, a bicycle is safer if you ride it on the sidewalk!

As for braking, compare apples to apples. Course you can't go 60 so there is no data. But my VFR (linked brakes) which probably weighs 500 with a full tank can stop from 60 in 108 feet."

Well now that I have been riding a real motorcycle for a few days now I can definitely see the advantages. Granted it's only a 250 but still has great acceleration and one of the only 250's I know of with dual front discs and yes while much heavier than my scooter it comes down from 65 (what feels like) much quicker than the scooter would come down from 35.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.