UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Need advise on healing elbow/shoulder

7/2/08 12:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stronghold
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I injured my left shoulder and right elbow doing various things. I cannot do pushups because of my shoulder, they just hurt. It feels like some connective tissue was injured and it is not a pulled muscle. I've been doing nothing to antagonize it for a month now and it still hurts a great deal when I do anything involving lifting my arm over my head.

The elbow is an odd injury. The ligament or tendon or whatever in it hurts when I sqeeze things or when I pickup heavy objects (which is how I hurt it). Again, I've been laying off of it for a month and a half and taking shark cartilage to promote blood flow in the tissue but it is not getting better. I had a similar injury in the other elbow 3 years ago and the shark fixed it right up, btw.

Ideas?
7/26/08 3:40 AM
JasonE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to assess you in person, but this is the internet. Go get a pro to check it out. Have them rule out a torn tendon or something else. If that's not the issue, go see a good massage therapist. (see www.amtamassage.org for a therapist locator)

Good luck!
Jason Erickson
www.CSTMinnesota.com
7/26/08 3:14 PM
Stronghold
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/31/08 8:53 AM
Thx. I'll probably do that but I've had a break through on the shoulder. I read up on the subject some and tried some of the stretching techniques and how to test its mobility and it feels like something popped back into place while I was doing all that. I once had my neck pop loudly (while rolling over sleeping!) and the therapist said a tendon can pop out of its groove. Once it's back in, it can heal. Hopefully, my shoulder is finally on the mend, but I'll see if my insurance covers getting it looked at.
8/16/08 6:09 PM
Stronghold

Well, I took the last month off from doing anything and my right elbow is doing much better. I figure by the end of September I can start doing some light lifting with it.

THe bad news is that my left shoulder was doing much better until 2 hours ago. I was at a playground with my son and I"ve been refraining from doing anything on the monkey bars, etc. But, I needed to get to him asap and was blocked by a sort of wall (shaped like a boat). I used to be very good at hopping over tall fences and wall, but it does involve some arm strength. So, I reached up and grabbed the top of the wall, leapt up and pulled myself over it. Then, I promptly crumpled to the ground in pain. Yep, it felt like 20 red hot knives being jammed into my shoulder. I guess if I didn't have a tear before, I got one now.

You know, I don't mind getting old, I mind being able to hurt myself even easier now and NEVER fucking healing up. I guess the next 1/2 of my life is going to have to be a damned sedentary one. Time to start looking for a doc to scope me that doesn't insist on surgery 100% of the time. I cannot have my arm out of commission for 3 months as I am a programmer.
8/17/08 12:50 PM
martinburke
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stronghold, JasonE had some good advice. Go get it checked out, and if it's not a surgical situation, find a good massage therapist(emphasis on GOOD).

A good therapist who's been trained in orthopaedic massage or myofascial release can make a HUGE difference in soft tissues.

How do you find a good one? Chances are, NOT at a spa, and DEFINATELY NOT at a discount chain. Do you have a professional sports team or a major NCAA school nearby? You could call them and ask who works on their players. That's some high-priced cattle there, and the teams are not going to let some oil-spreading clown work on their investments.

If you start hearing the same name more than once, that'll be your guy.
9/20/08 6:42 PM
kylethasnizake
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nattokinase would be good to take. really enhances your cardiovascular system, and that is what heals you!
9/25/08 10:43 AM
Stronghold

I'll look that up. I'll probably start hitting the shark cartilage again as I just started working out with dumbbells last night and I'll want to keep the inflamation down as much as possible.

I am definitely doing better. I can do BP, bent rows, military press which are the big 3 for the upper body. I was using 2 20 lbers so this is totally thereputic at this point. Forget the upright rowing or overhead tricep extensions for a while, but I could do curls even though my right elbow is a little sore today. Oh, and I did some forearm curls which should really help my grip get back some strength without hurting me anymore. Real grip strength come from holding 50 lb buckets and walking up and down a hill with them, but that's the type of shit that hurt me in the first place (house work can be tedious).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.