UnderGround Forums

Africa UnderGround >> Dear Chris Rock,

7/2/08 11:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BodyandSoul
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck You! If I have one more 20 year-old white kid ask me what I think of the Chris Rock bit I will fuck things up for black people by becoming that nigger and stabbing a hole in somebody. Just saying… good night.
7/3/08 1:30 AM
DeDavidDiAngelo

Maybe look into his background. He's been trying to fit in with white people all his life.

It's because his humor's fucked up and in many ways anti-black that he is where he is. It's because of his intended audience that he exaggerates his "blackness" (his idea of what blackness is) when he performs.

White people just don't get it because, trying to please them, coming from where they are, he reiterates their assumptions to them.

"Fly in the buttermilk."
7/3/08 2:11 AM
DeDavidDiAngelo

Edited: 07/03/08 2:13 AM
If this appeared in the last year or so, I haven't seen it.

I believe BnS is talking about the "there are n******s and there are blacks" bit, probably his most often cited bit (maybe I'm wrong about this particular).

There are plenty of pop culture "Toms" who in real life, or in later performances, were not the same as the stereotypes they embodied or traded on.

The career/life of Stepin Fetchit is probably an interesting foil to Rock, as is the reception of SF over time.
7/3/08 2:15 AM
DeDavidDiAngelo

I do remember that in the last performance of his I saw there was some social criticism. It's never as simple a question as "Is he sometimes anti-racist?" Sometimes the presence of anti-racist stances is actually what sanctions and validates the racist stances.
7/3/08 8:08 AM
ABE FROMAN

A 20 year old kid asked you about Chris Rock? Nobody ever asks me stupid shit like that. Believe it or not, the only time I ever hear anything about race is on this board and occasionally at work regarding the election....

I'm more apt to hear about Kat Williams than Chris Rock.....
7/3/08 12:02 PM
DeDavidDiAngelo

MssrT: excellent content, insufficiently confrontational.

You should leave this area. All you're doing is hijacking threads, and it's apparent that all you're doing is seeking negative attention, which exposes your basic personality to too great an extent (a negative, trollpoints-wise).

I give you a few days until everybody just ignores any post you make. You might as well disappear before that happens, so you don't end up looking even worse.

Have noticed some shift in your posting style of late, which is positive, but overcoming the negative-attention seeking will be a challenge for you.
7/3/08 12:22 PM
BodyandSoul

ABE FROMAN - A 20 year old kid asked you about Chris Rock? Nobody ever asks me stupid shit like that. Believe it or not, the only time I ever hear anything about race is on this board and occasionally at work regarding the election....

I'm more apt to hear about Kat Williams than Chris Rock.....
Yeah, I teach and for some reason look so approachable that I make Bill Cosby seem like a militant. 
So, I get these kind of comments all the time: The difference is that I don't think of you as black; You don't seem so angry; I can talk to you about these things, etc. The funny thing is that I'm grumpy and mean as hell but must have a funny-looking face and people never think I'm serious.

I actually like Chris Rock, it's just that nigger and black people bit that, while it has it's place, seems to be the only thing a lot of people have picked up on out of his whole act.

And while Russell Peters is on another level of funny, I think that both Dave Chapelle and Chris Rock (and Sarah Silverman) provide a higher than usual level of sophistication to their racial humour. The problem is people dumbing it down and getting the wrong idea (which is why Chapelle left).

P.S. DDD, I also enjoy your posts.
7/4/08 12:06 PM
BodyandSoul

^That was funny... still not as good as the British version though.
7/4/08 12:08 PM
BodyandSoul

Speaking of 'The Office', anyone ever watch 'Extras'?
7/7/08 8:49 PM
DeDavidDiAngelo

Cheers, B&S.

Listen, you've never taught a book called CARNIVAL OF FURY, have you?

Ask because if yes only appropriate answer from me would be, "Small world...."
7/8/08 10:02 AM
Brendasu

i can't stand him.
7/8/08 8:56 PM
BodyandSoul

DeDavidDiAngelo - Cheers, B&S.

Listen, you've never taught a book called CARNIVAL OF FURY, have you?

Ask because if yes only appropriate answer from me would be, "Small world...."
No but it looks like an interesting book. Why? I don't actually teach teach, I just lead tutorials as a TA... look at me trying to pretend like I'm all important and shit!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.