UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Increasing awareness

12/4/02 8:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Varley
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Dec-02

Guys , How do I minimize being blind-sided ?? Twice this week , I have been blind-sided . Both times I was on the job (paramedic) , and was attending to a patient when suddenly the intoxicated spouse moves in quickly ... in both cases there was not a threat ; they just needed to get close to their man before/as we carried them off . But after each of these calls , I'd get a dissapointed feeling wash over me because it was apparent that if the spouse (or anyone in that bar etc) 'had' been a threat , then I would definately have been caught off guard ! I think it may have in one of Geoff Thompsons books , that I recall him mentioning a few guys dying at the hands of an irrate spouse or mother ; different circumstances , but the message is clear . What sort of exercises/practices can I employ at work so that I eventually learn to minimize these potential threats ? How do I stay so focused and aware on a call , that I can treat my patient thoroughly , yet still stay aware of the surroundings .. the people , the space etc . I usually pan around or walk the walls when I enter a call , as well as a few times during treatment , but somewhere along the way I'm currently allowing for the possibility of an ambush . I'm not doing enough ... Var
12/4/02 9:19 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 04-Dec-02 09:42 PM
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Varley, In an effort to evoke a realization I shall be blunt, for the purpose of succinctness... While your quest is noble your fixation will create paranoia... You need to trust the inuitiveness of the survival system....remember, thats what the SPEAR SYstem is predicated on. Theories are great on paper and tactics are great when there is consent and both participants are actively exploring a drill, but you cannot create awareness when you are intensely focused on something else. As a patient, I want you frickin focused on your job not looking for a fight. Your job is to save & heal, if the fight comes to you you defend, if its telegraphed you intercept if possible, but you need a reframe...you are a paramedic not a Bodyguard...big difference and thats the problem with all these books and systems, they contain good information but never from the perspective of ambushee always from the POV of sniper, so any bouncer awareness drills or cop awareness drills or martial awareness drills - while they are possibly excellent "fighting" skills - they will not not transfer to paramedic self- defense...a sucker shot is a sucker shot and thats why they call it that...does that make sense? Tony *If you dont quite grasp this, much of this info will soon appear elsewhere, slightly modified, names changed to protect the origin. Inside joke. NTK :-)
12/4/02 10:28 PM
Varley

Edited: 04-Dec-02
"While your quest is noble your fixation will create paranoia..." Agreed ! Though the review of these incidences left a sour taste in my mouth , my brain kinda stalled out when I realized the answer was almost to see everyone in the room all the time *L* . I thought to myself , Christ , how the h3ll can I do that ?? I'd look and feel like some strung-out nut ! ;-) Your reasoning puts me back at ease , and gives me back permission to focus as solely as I was .. on my patients . Thanks for the re-frame Tony . Var
12/5/02 12:59 AM
Paul Sharp

Edited: 05-Dec-02
If I can offer a suggestion. Do you have the man power for a 1 person/1 job approach? Can you ask the local PD for standby service? If the answer is yes to either of those questions, you can focus on your job, which you must, with someone else maintaining control of your/the environment.
12/5/02 4:23 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 05-Dec-02 04:48 AM
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Paul...of course often the Paramedic is there first or an LE is securing a scene or interviewing someone...but Paul raises and important 'proactive' point: intuitive intellegence... i.e. if you arrive at a scene where there's been a shoot out, a drug deal gone bad, domestic violence, part of your verbal commands at the scene can be 'security' concerns and also recognize that the person youre working may be your oppoent too when they 'suddenly' regain awreness or consciousness...remember improved perception speed improves reaction time. Another point I ommited from my first post is that your surival system generally WILL NOT pick up 'Not Danger' and should pick up 'danger'...in your examples, you were ALMOST blindsided by NOT danger (makes no sense) get it? Had you said "I was struck by the spouse..." my answer likley would have been the same as above, focus on your job, youre not security...but to beat your self up because you didnt notice NOT danger is pushing it. Another subtle reframe. Some would call it common sense, but as you know from reading our research, we lovingly refer to it as 'uncommmon sense'. Food for thought. TOny *Uncommon sense (a unique play on words coined through TCMS research to define what isnt obvious but should be and can be....also a unique play on words based on words that people play with. NTK CORE HUMOR)
12/5/02 6:25 AM
Varley

I understand what you're driving at Tony .."but to beat your self up because you didnt notice NOT danger is pushing it." I guess I was playing what if , and trying to lite a fire under my butt to arrive at what I could be doing differently in some instances . Incidentally , in one of the calls , I did recognize the wife as a potential problem , and immediately asked the 10-200's to remove her from the area ; which they did nicely . Problem is I didn't articulate 'securing' her until we were gone , and of course , just as we arose to leave up she came at us from across the room . The other call , the wife had taken a swing at me ... I told her firmly to sit down on the couch .. which she did . But after , she appeared 'right' behind me as we when out the door ... like I said not a huge threat at all , but gave me pause to think . Good food for thought Tony , Thanks , Var
12/5/02 9:54 AM
Paul Sharp

Tony, "of course often the Paramedic is there first or an LE is securing a scene or interviewing someone..." Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of Cover/Contact. If Varley's agency has the manpower it would be worthwhile for them/him to have some dialogue on this issue. With a 2-3 man ambulance crew Cover/Contact could be done in a way to keep them all safe and not present an antagonistic presence to the "spouse" or whomever. With a litte planning and rehearsal during the next training opportunity they can work this out. Likewise, if they don't have the manpower, running short has always been the trademark of emergency services, they could request standby service from the local PD if they aren't already there. With a little communication between the EMT/Paramedics and the Officers cover issues can be addressed and the paramedics can than get on with doing their job without distraction.
12/5/02 7:24 PM
Varley

"communication between the EMT/Paramedics and the Officers" Paul , our city paramedics has a great relationship with local officers , who always seem willing to help in any way they can . We (medics) work exclusively in 2 man crews , and with the array of advanced skills we now employ we are very often both busy with IV's drugs , monitors etc . Now that I am in tune with my intuition , what is left as Tony indicated , is intuitive intelligence . If my radar goes off , I need to swiftly engage the LEO's nearby to assist (being specific as possible) , or if we are alone on the call , I need to articulate to my partner what I'm sensing .. include him in that evaluation , and make some quick choices to deal with it . So from what you and Tony have said I gather the flow to be : (1) Intuition , (2) Intuitive Intelligence , (3) Evaluating Choices , (4) Communication , (5) Action , (6) Relying on my training to defend myself if an ambush ever happens . If I've missed a critical step or any nuance , can you let me know ? Thanks , Var

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.