UnderGround Forums

Africa UnderGround >> UG Headed Downward

7/4/08 11:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MarkedCard
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've noticed that the OG is infecting the UG.  There is now a dearth of true mma posts, and a lot of garbage.  In so far as is relevant here, blatant racial comments galore are in the thread regarding Rampage Jackson's alleged preference toward women---and obviously condoned.
7/4/08 12:48 PM
BodyandSoul

Jesus, one thing I'll give the OG is at least the racism there is a bit more sophisticated. I love the "yeah but she's not really black" rationales and the certainty with which they deride others... by their rules of racial classification it seems they're all pre-1950s physical anthropologists.
7/4/08 12:50 PM
Ausgepicht

I have been coming here for over 10 years, and the one thing I could never put my finger on is how/why racist comments are left untouched.

Is it because the mods are mostly racist?

Is it because there aren't enough mods and they just miss it?

Is it because the mods are too lazy to do something?

7/4/08 1:01 PM
BodyandSoul

First I ever saw of the "She's hot because she's not really black" comments was from that wonderful mod Dr. Diggs. Then he posted some pictures of "real" or "typical" black women.

It seems like there is no consistent standard for what should be allowed to pass. If it were up to me, I'd have different standards for the UG and OG. A lot of OG stuff that is objectionable I think should be allowed to stay up simply because 1) I'm not a huge fan of censoring people, 2) removing posts allows people to think they're the victims (which is the favourite racist strategy these days), and 3) there have been times when things that are not really that bad are deleted. But, there really is no reason for there to be any discussion of race on the UG when it's supposed to be about fighting.

Those are just my thoughts and I definitely know there are other opinions on this.
7/4/08 7:31 PM
ABE FROMAN
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it because the mods are mostly racist?
The mods have been bullied into compliance. It takes a while but the posters get to them eventually. They cry 'free speech' until they get their way.

Is it because there aren't enough mods and they just miss it?
Nope. Try posting a nude picture and WATCH how long it takes to get deleted.

Is it because the mods are too lazy to do something?
Nope. The site owner sets the tone here. Supporting the most racist trolls and curbing the mods who delete racist posts is the most obvious thing that happens here.

7/4/08 11:26 PM
BodyandSoul

I'm guessing it's because it's Independance Day that the guy who started the Rampage thread said this is getting out of control, please delete this thread ten hours ago and it's still there. If it's still on the UG tomorrow I may have to post some nudes on it as my good-bye to mma.tv. Good night all.
7/5/08 8:46 AM
BodyandSoul

Ndugu - 
Ausgepicht - I have been coming here for over 10 years, and the one thing I could never put my finger on is how/why racist comments are left untouched.Is it because the mods are mostly racist?Is it because there aren't enough mods and they just miss it?Is it because the mods are too lazy to do something?

You are only addressing racism against blacks. Racism against Asians and Hispanics is widely accepted. Gay bashing is widely accepted, even engendered.
Then why wouldn't you say something about it on the OG/UG rather than preaching to us (the choir)?

7/5/08 10:44 AM
Ausgepicht

You are only addressing racism against blacks. Racism against Asians and Hispanics is widely accepted. Gay bashing is widely accepted, even engendered.
No, actually I'm not. The dead giveaway is:

"and the one thing I could never put my finger on is how/why racist comments are left untouched."

When I posted that I was not only thinking of a few threads of Hispanics and African American racism that I had recently seen, but specifically when there was a burst of Italian American bigotry out of nowhere about a month ago.

7/5/08 1:05 PM
MarkedCard

Discrimination against Asians is fairly "safe", because they tend to not be an organized and aggresive group, and there are deep divisions between those of various national origins. I know an employer who learned not to place women of different sectors of Laos side by side on machines, because there was a pattern by which these women, within several days of  proximity, physically attacked. each other.

Prejudice between Mexicans and Puerto Ricans can be intense, and far more vocal than between whites and blacks, as is the animosity between blacks and Puerto Ricans in certain cities ---but these situations do not have much of a power/powerlessless historical context. Kind of the difference between racism and prejudice.

Plus, there does not appear to be many Asians on this site, although EvilYoshida endured a torrent of racism constantly.  This site, however, is rapidly degenerating, not only with prejudice, but just with the profusion of meaningless non-mma babble.
7/5/08 4:34 PM
Yuki

Edited: 07/05/08 4:34 PM
I really suck at the internet!

7/5/08 4:35 PM
Yuki

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=forum_framed.posts&forum=2&thread=1305331&page=1&pc=16

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.