UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> take a year off to get fit?

7/4/08 1:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Gimp
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been training about 5 years now. I've never been strong. For example, when doing a machine bench press I can only bench 100 pounds. When doing a leg extension machine I can't do more than 25 pounds. (I think my tendons are *very* weak, it feels like my leg's gonna rip apart when I do these). Even when I was 25 I couldn't train more than 3 days a week without getting major soreness in my elbows. Even now, after 5 years of training, sometimes after just a few hard rolls, I will be sore for 3 days!

I am also experiencing more and more minor injuries. What worries me is these are the kind of injuries that add up. For example I keep messing up my neck/upper back and I am afraid if it keeps happening, each time it will be worse and worse. Eventually I won't be able to do bjj anymore. Even worse, my overall quality of life will decrease because of chronic pain and limiting range of motion from old bjj injuries.

My question is: should I stop doing bjj for a while, and seriously lift weights? I know I will miss BJJ as it drives me crazy to be out for even a few weeks, but I think if I don't I might have to stop within a few years anyway. My goal is to protect my body as much as possible so that I will be able to participate in this sport for as long as possible.

Thanks in advance!
7/7/08 4:36 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why not do both? Pick smart training partners so you dopn't get hurt.
7/10/08 11:28 AM
The Gimp
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the reply Matt.

I am not sure that my body can handle the stress of doing both BJJ and lifting weights at the same time.

What do you think?
7/10/08 11:28 AM
The Gimp

Also, do you think my overall level of strength is way below average?
7/10/08 7:34 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pace yourself, you will be fine. It's not a race.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.