UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Tried This Rib Recipe

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/7/08 10:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cycklops
453 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/07/08 10:19 AM

I'm not a big fan of ribs, mostly because I hate working that hard and only getting small portions of meat off the bone but this was really good.

Get a rack of ribs. I soaked apple smoking chips in wine beforehand. Pull that membrane off the back of the ribs. A paper towel helps grab ahold of it. Put whatever dry rub you want on it. Place the ribs in a rib rack (I have a Big Green Egg) using indirect heat and smoke at 275 for 2.5 to 3 hours or so. Don't peak.

At that point, for each section of ribs, pull out some aluminum foil. Place a generous serving of brown sugar on the foil. Cover the brown sugar in honey. Place the section of ribs on the brown sugar. Place a generous amount of brown sugar and honey on top of the ribs as well. Fold up the sides of the foil to create a bowl effect. Pour some apple juice on top of the honey/brown sugar/rib and then put more foil over top making sure to seal it as best you can. Do this for each section of ribs. Place back in the cooker for 90 minutes or so.

At that point take the foil packages out. Remove the indirect heat and place the ribs on the grill rack directly above the flames. Start coating the ribs in whatever BBQ sauce you like. Flip the ribs often and keep slathering on the BBQ sauce. Do this for 20 minutes or so.

These things came out great. You can adjust the time according to the amount of ribs have in the cooker. More ribs in cooker = longer cook times and vice versa.

Be careful when using the sugar and honey concoction. I didn't seal the foil well and it bubbled up and leaked all over the inside of the cooker. This isn't typically a problem but it leaked down the side and gummed up the bottom drafts on the egg. Of course I didn't realize this and the following day when I went to use it again I couldn't open the draft. I had to use a lighter to melt the sugar and then a box cutter to scrape it out.

I got the recipe off youtube somewhere.

8/27/08 4:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cycklops
453 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^This recipe I used baby back. A week or so later I used regular ol' pork ribs and they came out tremendously. There was a little more meat and fat to work with so it's not as easy to over cook.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.