UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Simple Beef/Green Pepper Recipe?

7/9/08 1:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
imeaniguess
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm looking to make something pretty simple with beef and green peppers. Only ingredient I would wish to not have is mushrooms. Anybody have suggestions?
7/9/08 4:33 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You mean like stuffed peppers or something?  I don't have any recipe offhand, but you can basically use a meatloaf recipe (maybe mix in some white rice if you want to stretch it), stuff it into hollowed out peppers, pour tomato sauce over the top and bake it, covered, until the internal temp is 165 F.

Of course, beef fajitas are usually served with sauteed onions and bell peppers too and sometimes even ground beef (soft) tacos.
7/9/08 6:27 PM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/09/08 6:28 PM
Some kind of Pepper Steak?

CHICAGO PEPPER STEAK

3 T salad oil
1-2 lbs Sirloin steak, in 1" cubes
1 T Wondra flour
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 large onion, thickly sliced
2 cup beef broth
pinch red pepper (or dash Tabasco sauce)
dash Worcestershire
splash red wine
2 green peppers, cut in bitesized pieces

Cook steak in hot oil until well browned on all sides. Place in approximately an 8x12" casserole dish.
Stir flour into remaining drippings.

Cook until dark brown, stirring constantly.

Add celery and onion, and reduce heat to medium.

Cook until vegetables are tender.

Stir in broth, pepper, Worcestershire and wine. Heat to boiling.

Pour over steak in casserole dish.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Add green pepper and continue to bake, uncovered, for 1/2 hour, or until steak is fork tender.

Baste with sauce as it cooks, if needed.

Serve over noodles.
7/9/08 6:41 PM
imeaniguess
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks a lot to both of you. Ended up making cube steaks cut into small bites with some stewed tomatoes, onions, green peppers and garlic over some elbows. Gonna save that Chicago Pepper Steak recipe right now!
7/9/08 10:23 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you like bell peppers, try using poblanos.  I prefer them to bell peppers.  They taste very similar, but are slightly spicy, slightly smaller and much cheaper (at least around here).
7/9/08 10:33 PM
alpo

Edited: 07/09/08 10:34 PM
And there is always stir fry... slice a sirloin into thin strips and coat them lightly with soy sauce, cooking sherry and cornstarch.  Pan/wok fry at the highest temperature imaginable with some canola oil or light olive oil and set the meat aside.  Try to get a good sear on there.  Then pan/wok fry whatever veggies you want with a little oil and soy sauce, then mix the meat in at the end.  Drizzle with a tiny bit of sesame oil or sprinkle on some sesame seeds at the end too (optional).  You can even use peanuts.  Don't overcook the veggies, you want them a little crisp.

One thing I do with stir fry sometimes is take a handful of raw spinach leaves and throw them in the bowl I'm going to eat from, then pour the scalding hot stir fry right on top of it.  By the time you get your fork and sit at the table and mix everything up, the spinach should be perfectly cooked.  Perfectly cooked spinach, IMO, means barely cooked, still a bit leafy and not soggy at all.  It's a completely effortless and tasty way to up the nutritional content.

7/10/08 6:57 AM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Interesting cookage of the spinach leaves.

I love some bok choy (and very good for you)... seperate the leafy material from the stalk and cook seperately (leaves go in last).

Last night I made a beef stir fry,

Sliced beef

Bok choy

sliced carrots

green onions

garlic

green & red pepper

mini-ears of corn

sesame seeds

chicken broth

soy sauce

wine

sriracha

... serve over rice
7/15/08 10:47 AM
crescentwrench
272 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree 100% about poblanos.  I always substitute them on any recipe that calls for green bell peppers.  I can't really even stand green bells.  Now, sweet red bells I can eat like an apple but green ones just taste like I'm eating a stem or something. 

One thing I don't care for though is that the skin of a poblano seems to be a bit tougher than bell peppers.  So I always break out the blowtorch and burn the skin off before doing anything with them.  The torch is quicker and won't cook the pepper like you would if you put them under a broiler or on the grate of your gas stovetop so you'll still be able to treat them as raw in recipes.  Plus you get to use a blowtorch!

I'm also doing the spinach trick from now on. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.