UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Competing and training after a leg break?

7/12/08 7:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IRONHAUS
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi,
I was just wanting to get some input from people who've broken their leg and and how it's effected their training and competing since. Alittle over a month ago I slipped into a really deep ditch and broke the Tibia and Fibula in my left leg. I had to get surgery and now I have a steel rod in the middle of my Tibia holding my leg together. My Surgeon said it should be back to 90+ percent (I hope) after all the healing and P.T is finished... If anyone's been threw this and has any info I'd really appreciate it...

Thanks,
Chandler Oakes
7/14/08 6:13 AM
IRONHAUS
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nobody huh?
7/26/08 2:55 AM
JasonE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Start by getting clearance from your PT to resume exercise. Stuff like tai chi and walking are a good start. You need to become good at handling weight shifting on and off of that leg before you worry about more advanced stuff.

With the injured folks referred to me for training, I rely primarily on the Intu-Flow joint mobility program from RMAX. (See www.cstminnesota.com/4.html ) Gentle dynamic mobility training like Intu-Flow is great for retraining your motor system to function efficiently and make best use of your reconstructed leg.

If you have significant ROM restrictions, it's possible that Active Isolated Stretching (and strengthening) methods could help. I have also found it useful in reducing swelling if done carefully. You can find practitioners at www.stretchingusa.com

Good luck!

Jason Erickson
www.CSTMinnesota.com
7/28/08 2:54 AM
IRONHAUS

I really appreciate it bro!

Chandler
8/18/08 1:45 PM
wvjits

Sorry to hear about your leg ironhaus. I broke my tibia on July 13. I hope to start pt in the next couple of weeks.
Good Luck

Jason
1/7/09 9:33 PM
IRONHAUS

ttt for info
1/18/09 1:14 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

I brobke my fibula about 9 inchs up from my ankle and completely seperated it from my tibia. I have to have a 9 in plate afixed to my fib and and have my tib and fib screwed back together. I was walking in 3 months. I was running and jumping in 6 months. I have 100 use of it know although I have a slight loss of range od motion.

I rehabed it myself.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.