UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> Hit my first_____ of the season...

7/14/08 11:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MIKEBROOKS
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hit my first SHANK of the season Saturday morning.
Been hitting the ball well this year... lowered my handicap by 3-4 strokes and then this thing showed it's ugly head.

56* wedge in my hand(I'm a leftie)... about 75-80 yds out on a par 5.... hit the ball almost behind me and 45 yds to the left.

Wow "hello big number... it's me again".

Made double...had to hit a 8-10 footer. Wow I hate hitting the ball so piss poorly.

The next few wedges I hit sure did have me thinking.....anyone else battle that beast from time to time?

Brooks
7/14/08 1:43 PM
BigKiller

It happens to everyone.

I haven't had one on the course in a while but they come up when practicinig.
7/14/08 2:04 PM
MIKEBROOKS

I almost shit my acid pink golf pants. There is no way I could repeat that beauty if you gave me 50 balls.

I caddied 2 rounds for my cousin a few years back in the Club Championship..... he is about a 4-5 handicapper. The guy shot 103 the first round... he honestly hit 25 or more shanks in 18 holes.

Followed that up day 2 with a 76.... biggest 2 day swing in Club history...hahaha

He flips his lid if you bring that up on the course with him ...hahaha

STUPID SHANKS, fast fades... whatever you wanna call them... they suck!

Brooks
7/14/08 2:05 PM
MIKEBROOKS

Edited: 07/14/08 2:05 PM
double post....
7/14/08 3:14 PM
Gforce
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No shanks.

I do hit almost all of my shots thin and off the toe tho...

I'm doing something really silly when I start down--I pull my head up away from the ball. Not to look up at where the shot is going--my whole upper body just pulls away from the ball.

I just saw it on video--I think it is something setup related--standing too far away at address with too much upper body lean and weight on my toes.

I have an appoinment for another lesson next week.
7/14/08 3:22 PM
BigKiller

Too much hip turn could be the cause also G.
7/14/08 10:31 PM
clattymine
576 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hit my first ball of the season!
7/15/08 12:22 PM
qballs
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm still waiting to get my first house this year. Ive hit houses across the country.
7/15/08 8:33 PM
Gforce
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big Killer,

I am doing a good job of not letting the weight get to the outside of my right foot on my backswing. I am x-factored pretty good.

I do, however, almost set up on my toes with my heels nearly off the ground.

Is it true that my weight should be flat, if not on my heels--definitely not on the toes?
7/15/08 9:04 PM
Animal Chin
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I do, however, almost set up on my toes with my heels nearly off the ground."

wow, that's bad.  think 60-40 toes.

athletic position at address...   athletic position, not changing a lightbulb position.
7/15/08 11:24 PM
qballs
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

like your shooting a foul shot in basketball. Stick your ass out there. Adam Scott has the best on tour IMO
7/16/08 7:44 AM
BigKiller

Gforce - Big Killer,

I am doing a good job of not letting the weight get to the outside of my right foot on my backswing. I am x-factored pretty good.

I do, however, almost set up on my toes with my heels nearly off the ground.

Is it true that my weight should be flat, if not on my heels--definitely not on the toes?

Try this one out:

Next time you set up to a ball at the range, go all the way up on your toes and then rock back on your heels.  Do this a few times until you find the "middle ground"/balance point.  That should give you an idea of where your ideal posture is.  

I try to keep my weight on the back half (towards the middle of my foot) of the balls of my feet.

It's probably pretty close the the 60:40 AC mentioned.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.