UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Best burger you've ever had...

7/15/08 1:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
warcake
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is the best burger you've ever had?  Was is homemade? from a 5 star restaurant? fast food?

I think the best I've ever had was from Father's Office in Santa Monica.  It's made with half dry aged and half fresh beef, Arugula lettuce, tomato, onion marmalade and bleu cheese spread on a homemade roll cooked medium rare. 

First runner up would be The Max Burger at The Grand Lux Cafe.  It has sauteed onions and mushrooms, bacon, cheddar, and short ribs on it.  They will also cook it medium rare.  Never trust a burger from a restaurant that will only cook it medium well or well.  That usually means they use low quality beef and don't want to give their customers E coli. 
7/15/08 10:12 AM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've yet to find one that can top the one I made - made from fresh-ground brisket, topped with sauteed shallots and thick slices of homemade bacon, a little baby spinach, on a good roll
7/15/08 10:40 AM
crescentwrench
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best one I can remember was from my stovetop.  I think it was likely a combination of craving and near starvation but it was nothing special, just your average patty frying in a cast iron skillet.  I threw in some onions and mushrooms to cook in the burger grease.  Topped it off with a big pile of shredded cheddar and put A-1 on it.  I remember thinking, This might be the best thing I've ever eaten.  But again I was delirious from lack of food. 

Best outside burger was 5 Guys in DC. 
7/15/08 12:33 PM
warcake
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For homemade burgers a cast iron skillet is the way to go.  
7/16/08 8:57 AM
Mullet @ Heart
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I take my homemade ones out of the mix, I'd got with Cheeseburger Waikiki. Amazing burgers.
7/16/08 11:03 AM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lean ground beef mashed into thin patties and thrown on the grill.

Serve on a fresh Scotch Bap (Portuguese Roll works too) with mustard, lawry's, onions, and tomato, hot peppers on there are pretty good too.
7/16/08 3:24 PM
Resident A Hole
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bison burgers at Ted's Montana Grill might be the best I've had.
7/16/08 5:22 PM
d0mm3r

I had that burger at Father's Office, and I thought the arugula made the whole thing taste like my lawn - the onion and cheese combination was great, but then all I could taste afterward was lawn.
7/16/08 6:53 PM
warcake

The Arugula does give it a kick.   At first I thought it tasted like my lawn too, but after eating it a few times I really started to like it a lot.  I sometimes put arugula on my homemade burgers now.
7/16/08 8:36 PM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arugula's definitely an acquired taste.  It takes a while to get past the earthiness.  Raw mushrooms are the same way, but they are 1000x more common, so most people are already used to it.
7/17/08 12:17 AM
d0mm3r

To hell with the burger anyway, I love Father's Office for the ridiculous beer selection. But this is a burger thread, so I will say the best burger I had was in Roseburg, Oregon, at a diner whos name I can't remember, called the Timber Topper - 2 patties on a sourdough roll with lettuce, tomato, bbq sauce, thick homemade bacon, 3 kinds of cheese, and fresh homemade onion rings. It almost killed me trying to eat it at 16, but I think my fat ass can take it now!
7/17/08 5:43 AM
memory blues
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Father's Office. Their fries are delicious too.
7/17/08 9:39 AM
canuck34
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have to say that the best burger I've ever had are the ones that I make on my BBQ at home.

If you are talking about eating out, I've tried some of those "fancy high end" burgers (the ones that are $40). They were okay, but no where near worth the price. Thankfully they were all on expence accounts.

Best burger I've ever had at a restaurant though was at Splitz Burger in Whistler village.
7/17/08 7:20 PM
warcake

memory blues - Father's Office. Their fries are delicious too.

I'm not a big fan of sweet potatoes but their sweet potato fries are awesome.
7/18/08 1:14 PM
cbgrappler

warcake - 
memory blues - Father's Office. Their fries are delicious too.

I'm not a big fan of sweet potatoes but their sweet potato fries are awesome.

How do sweet potato fries compare to regular potato fries?
7/18/08 1:43 PM
warcake

I've only had FO's sweet potato fries so I'm not sure if all of them are like this but, the inside of the fry seems to be creamier and more startchy compared to a fresh russett potato fry.  After it's fried up, the outside of the sweet potoato fry seems to have a little crust on it which I assume is from the starch of the potato.  Plus, at FO they serve them with a bleu cheese dip thats f'n great.
7/18/08 1:46 PM
cbgrappler

mmmm , now that sounds tasty ... I'll have to give 'em a try
7/21/08 11:36 AM
ashleigh11
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i mix the burger with onion soup mix, let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, then push a big wad of bleu cheese in the center and throw on the grill. serve on a good bun with more bleu cheese and a little brown mustard.
7/22/08 8:45 PM
alpo

I generally don't like sweet potatoes (and I am from New Orleans, go figure), but sweet potato fries, I am cool with.

Honestly, they taste pretty much like you'd expect, though.  If you like fries and sweet potatoes, I'm sure you'd like them.
7/23/08 8:37 PM
warcake

ashleigh11 - i mix the burger with onion soup mix, let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, then push a big wad of bleu cheese in the center and throw on the grill. serve on a good bun with more bleu cheese and a little brown mustard.
I've never been a fan of the lipton onion soup burger.  A lot of people used to make them that way when I was a kid then it seemed to go away for a while, but now they're back again. 

7/28/08 10:36 PM
warcake

Bay Areas Finest - Quark's Bar - Las Vegas Hilton...fuckin star trek burger was absolutelty amazing
Quark's actually has a pretty good crab cake too.  You wouldn't expect the food to be worth a shit being Star Trek themed and all.  I was shocked.

8/19/08 10:04 PM
shootfightermike
698 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

big mac
8/21/08 10:19 AM
MikeZev
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the bar i worked at in hoboken had ridiculous mini burgers. meat was ground/delivered in the morning  and they were cooked on a flat top griddle with a shit ton of butter. so good.
8/21/08 6:22 PM
usurper
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

best burger i had was at the 25 degrees burger joint in the roosevelt hotel in hollywood. legendary burger; ground sirloin, burrata cheese, crispy prosciuto, roasted tomatoes, and pesto
9/19/08 5:59 PM
Evil Intentions
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johnny's Fillin Station in Orlando, FL

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.