Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TKO313
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/07/09 6:19 PM
 DSI also offers Repairs and Custom Refinishing

7/17/08 11:28 AM
Willybone
443 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They're all beautiful, but the Elevation stands out to me. Maybe it's because it looks like a PRS custom or my ESP Horizon.
What do they run?
7/17/08 8:43 PM
TKO313

The Elevation combines the best of both. It's a Neck-Thru design with the full carve on top. The way we laminate the necks prevents any moving so they always stay straight. It's a touch heavier than the ESP which I prefer. It feels much more solid. It's not as heavy as many Les Pauls though.
We make our own Double Expanding Truss Rods which we are proud of too. Most of our guitars are made to order which means the customer chooses neck thickness, nut width, etc. The Elevations start at $2500. The prices will soon be going up, as we get our distribution dialed in. Up until now we have been strictly direct to the customer but we are in the process of distributing through specialized "boutique" shops and "high-end" enthusiasts.
They look great in pictures but you really need to pick one up to see and feel the beauty.
7/18/08 12:45 PM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

beautiful!
7/20/08 1:09 AM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they're still beautiful though...the flame around the edges of that V is cool-
7/20/08 7:40 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beautiful work.
7/21/08 7:38 PM
TKO313

*bah. nothing new there..just remaking whats already been done well enough in the past. *

You're probably right. There's also no reason to have more than one auto or motorcycle manufacturer, and why have Pepsi when there's Coke? Nike is a good shoe so why is anyone else making them? Gibson, Fender, Hondo, they're all the same...well enough...Right?
7/24/08 4:48 AM
Racer X
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do you charge for a finish like the Flying V's?

As a company, how many instruments will you have to ship per month for this to be profitable. DId you lease or buy milling/routing equipment?

I'm just curious because I've seen quite a few companies do it differents ways. For example, Gene Baker leased big, expensive NC milling equipment and then ran into software issues that caused delays that caused finacial woes and an eventual sale to Ed Roman(this is all from memory,so don't quote me).
PRS built a few instruments and then got them into visible hands like Howard Leese of Heart,Al DiMiola, and of course,Carlos Santana.

While I think it's risky building a business around high end instruments in these economic times, I wish you luck, and suggest you get examples of your work into the hands of the most visible players that you can. You can never get enough pictures of guitar gods with your ax slung around their necks!

7/24/08 11:48 PM
Racer X
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmmm, seems like some asshole is deleting my posts.

7/25/08 10:59 AM
TKO313

Armbreaker, I was being sarcastic. You don't need to tell me the difference between a Gibson and a Fender. Our guitars nothing like either one of them. Neither Gibson Fender or PRS offer a neck-thru like ours and although ESP does make neck-thru's, their quality doesn't even compare to ours. We're cracking into a tough market where in order to be cool and accepted you have to play a Les Paul or a Strat or a PRS. We know there are players out in the world who appreciate a fine instrument and are willing to pay for it. The best part is that I would put the quality of ours up against any PRS, Gibson or anything else and ours costs less!
7/25/08 6:36 PM
TKO313

Armbar,
That top Elevation Sold for $2200 although they're now $2500...compared to a PRS Custom 24 at $3200 or a Figured-top Les Paul for $2900(on sale...listing at nearly $4k).
7/25/08 9:12 PM
Racer X

I like the flame work on the V.

My finisher just did a SICK job on a Warmoth Explorer body and neck for me. Flames and more. I won't clutter your thread with it, but watch for a "DANEEN/REX guitar" thread in the next couple weeks. It's a billboard for her work to stay in my shop, so she did a cool self portrait(she's ridiculously hot) and a bunch of cool effects.

I've dreamed at times of doing what you guys are doing, building the guitars in my imagination. I've just never been good enough on the business organization side to make a serious go of it, and I'm not sure I'd prefer it to repair.

I wish you luck. Who knows? Maybe if I move to a more retail oriented location i can be your West coast dealer. I sure can't compete with Guitar Center or Guitar Showcase for the Evil Axis market(Gibson,Fender,PRS) so I would have to have a good high end alternative to draw that customer base.

7/26/08 6:29 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this related to dave smith instruments who makes the coolest sounding synths in the world and also invented MIDI?

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/
7/27/08 4:16 AM
Racer X

*NAME DROP WARNING*

Ponyboy, at the last NAMM show I got invited to go out to dinner with the dave smith instruments crew. Friend of a friend thing. GREAT bunch of people, I felt much dumber around them, but they were cool and spoke slowly for me. ;)
7/28/08 7:27 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They are way ahead of the curve synthwise ever since they couldn't keep any evolvers in stock and it's not even polyphonic........which says a lot about the product.

That was years ago so I'll guess they've done another big leap.
7/29/08 12:07 PM
xsjadoroll

Edited: 07/29/08 3:32 PM
How many basses have you built? Do you have more examples?

My boss is interested, he was a warrior player, but they had a habit of sending him some work where the attention to detail was pretty shaky.

If you have some more examples of basses, Id love to show him all you got, he is looking for a new builder
7/29/08 11:05 PM
TKO313

Edited: 07/07/09 6:10 PM
xsjadoroll,
Send me your email address or you can hit up Hugh at DSIGUITAR@yahoo.com.
He has more pic's that aren't uploaded yet.
Thanks for looking!

7/29/08 11:07 PM
Racer X

I like that bass. Nice choice on the electronics,too. 
7/30/08 10:28 AM
TKO313

We're in the process of finishing my new 32" 5 String Fretless. I can't wait!
7/30/08 12:28 PM
Racer X

Do you have any issues with low tension on a 32" bass causing "motorboating" or odd overtones on a low B string? Do you have any suggestions for favorite strings to address poor B string definition?

See, I've found that a 35" scale makes for a clearer open B with all other things equal, but it also raises the tension across the other four, which I don't like. It's making me consider using a fanned fretboard ala Dingwall basses.

A friend had a 5 string 32" old Tobias that was so good I practically shit myself thinking about it. Action like a good electric guitar and I couldn't really make it buzz. Just a perfect fretboard.
7/31/08 11:17 PM
TKO313

I've never noticed any problems with any of our basses. We did a nice 32" 5 string recently and it was great. We've never found the need or had a request for a fanned fretboard. Although it looks like a cool idea, it also looks like some variable scale action going on. What about string bending? I wonder if "motorboating" and other over tones happen more or less frequently on a bolt on. I'm curios and would like to investigate this further.
8/3/08 4:49 AM
Racer X

The "motorboating" comes from a string being tuned to a tension that isn't high enough to overcome the strings mass, resulting in an overtone that is not in tune. No type of construction seems to exacerbate the problem, it's more a factor of string angle at both ends,IMO. string thru body ala the newer USA Jazz Bass V helps, I think.

You have to play a fanned fret bass or guitar. It becomes very natural quickly and bending is not an issue at all.
8/3/08 10:42 AM
xsjadoroll

Warrior has a pretty interesting idea to resolve that. Its a type of string through body, where the low B feeds through next to the strap button, and then angles up through the bridge.
8/3/08 12:51 PM
Racer X

Kawai, the company best known for pianos, did a bass a few years ago that had a string thru feature for the B string only.

I have a Warrior 5 in the shop right now, along with a long scale Tobias. I'm going to pay special attention to the tension/action differences.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.