UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Whole Hog?

7/17/08 10:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
acm5060
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have any experience cooking whole hog? My buddy is cooking one and he asked if I would help him. He's done it once before and I guess it came out alright, but he thought my beginner BBQ skills would provide some help.
7/18/08 2:13 PM
miamiraider

We do it every Christmas eve.

Get yourself one of these....

https://www.lacajachina.com/
7/21/08 11:05 AM
ashleigh11
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i've done a couple of pigs, small and large. it really depends on how large the hog is and how much time you want to spend cooking it. smoking/indirect heat takes all day (6am for a 6pm meal) and grilling takes about 4-6 hours for a whole hog (boned and rolled or quartered)

if you want easy, ask the butcher to bone and roll it. they bone the hog and sandwich it between chickenwire fence. you just unroll it on the grill and cook it. you just have to make sure that the unrolled hog fits on your grill or smoker. this only takes a few hours to cook but you have to watch that it doesn't dry out. it takes about 6 hours to smoke a hog this way. cooking time is pretty standard for any size hog because there's no mass to the hog, it's all spread out evenly for cooking (hence the need to watch the temp and doneness closely).

i've also cooked a hog quartered. i asked the butcher/farmer to bone and roll it and went to pick it up and his wife showed me a whole hog and then informed me that her husband was not home to correct the problem. i just took it home and quartered it with a sawz-all and it cooked fine. it took about 6 hours to grill it with charcoal.

i also smoked a suckling pig in a smoker, whick took about 4 hours.

you need to decide how you want to cook it and leave yourself enough time. choose a rub if you want, and wood type if you're going to smoke it.

always start early-once it's done you can put the meat in a cooler (i line mine with foil)to keep it hot. invest in a meat thermometer with a probe on a wire so you can pull the hog off when it's done.

i would say the most important thing is to leave the hog alone once you start cooking. there is no need to open up the smoker/grill once you start, and it will take forever to heat/smoke back up.
7/22/08 12:45 PM
MasterGumHo

Edited: 07/23/08 8:10 AM
My uncle does one every Independence day but I can't get past the appearance.
7/22/08 6:42 PM
CR1chard
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A.) A good rub. You might want to go the injected marinade route too.

B.) Consistent, low temperatures (200-250)

Pork is pretty forgiving, as long as you get one that isn't too lean
7/23/08 12:07 AM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, I haven't done it myself, but I would think that if you keep a constant 220-ish air temp and you monitor the internal temp of the deepest part of the thigh, you can't go wrong.
7/23/08 9:29 AM
crescentwrench
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whatever you do to it will be delicious.  I've only been to one pig pickin' and the dude had a giant rig that fit a 200lb monster and it was awesome.  I don't recall anything special other than doing it kinda like a shoulder, just low and slow.  And then I think he just took a spray bottle of cider vinegar and hot sauce (we were in NC) and shot it when it was time to start. 

Other people got tongs and would take a few pieces, put them on a plate, and then wander off.  Me and and bro-in-law just stood there digging in with pocketknives and eating right in front of the bbq.  I think I ate its entire belly. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.