UnderGround Forums

NHLGround >> Sundin to Canucks

7/17/08 11:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/17/08 11:45 AM

Hearing some chatter that Sundin may be accepting the offer and signing with Vancouver by the end of this week. laff fans will be throwing themselves off the CN Tower shortly thereafter.

7/17/08 3:20 PM
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For around $10mil/year, right?

LOL.

Mark
7/17/08 6:20 PM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha yep.

Although now the radio folk in Vancouver who also have been saying the same things, are saying "in a week or 10 days" lol.
7/21/08 4:51 PM
Spankenstyne

lol now they're back to "end of july-early august"
7/22/08 9:19 AM
Stryfer

Sundin addressed the rumours after false information from Vancouver was leaked to a Swedish paper a few days ago.

"The Maple Leafs are not out of the picture if I decide to play," the Leafs' captain emeritus told Swedish paper Aftonbladet in yesterday's editions.

"It's not true at all that I'm definitely going to Vancouver. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to continue to play hockey," he said.

I will rule out Montreal as a possible destination, he is going to either Vancouver or coming back to Toronto.

Hopefully he finishes his career in Toronto like he originally planned. He is NOT going to contend for a stanley cup going to Vancouver and financial security is likely not a big influence as to where he chooses to play.
7/28/08 10:48 AM
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think Toronto wants him back, if they did he'd already be signed.

It's Vancouver at that ridiculous contract rate, or he plays in sweden.

Mats is my favourite player but he's not worth more than $6-7 mil/year at his age.
7/28/08 11:03 AM
Stryfer

Sundin does what he wants, when he wants. Toronto wanting or not wanting him has little to do with not being signed. The Leafs have left $7M available under their cap for Sundin and he knows it. If the Leafs weren't interested in getting him back, the money would already be gone.

If he does play anywhere, he said he will make his decision by August 1 as to where he will be going so he can be there at the start of training camp.
7/28/08 4:51 PM
Mr B Rock
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it looks like a slap in the face of toronto if he uses his no trade clause, just to be released in the off-season. 
8/1/08 10:25 PM
yusul
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if sundin didn't go for the money in vancouver, realistically, he'd go to detroit, swedish central, or end as one of greatest captains of the leafs.
8/1/08 10:25 PM
yusul
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/01/08 11:53 PM
double posted.
8/3/08 5:18 PM
Steamfitter

Sundin promised to make a decision by August, didn't he?
8/5/08 5:39 AM
PR
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good job on the prediction Spanky ;)
8/5/08 9:02 AM
Stryfer

His August 1 decision was a "soft" deadline. His agent stated recently that it's looking more like he will make his decision in early August.

I see no reason for him to go to Vancouver. He doesn't need the money and they're not going to be a stanley cup contender if he joins them, which should be his goal unless he wants to end his career as a Leaf and be a mentor to the new young guys on the team which I can see him doing.

He got some good advice from Steve Yzerman and Joe Nieuwendyk though. They both say that if he is still having doubts as to whether or not he wants to play, that means he should play.
8/5/08 11:12 PM
Steamfitter

rumour I read on the interweb has him returning to a swedish club team and playing for the swedish national team. the reasoning is that he wants to win another league championship with the swedish team and an olympic gold medal with the national team. he has a reasonable chance of achieving those goals back home than rolling the dice in the nhl.
8/7/08 7:00 AM
PR
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SPANKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
8/9/08 7:35 PM
Steamfitter

Spank's silence is deafening.
8/17/08 6:28 PM
PR

According to a well-placed source, TFP has learned unrestricted free agent star center Mats Sundin is set on joining the New York Rangers.
Sundin, 37, has received offers from Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, although the source told TFP Sundin will definitely be a part of the Rangers after they clear enough salary cap space.

Once the Rangers make the necessary cap adjustments to fit Sundin's annual salary, which is expected to be around $7 million, the Swedish star and former Maple Leafs captain will join the team.

There's no set timeline as to when Sundin will officially sign with the Rangers, but he wants to be part of the club by the start of training camp, at the latest.
8/18/08 12:34 AM
Spankenstyne

Haha sorry been crazy busy.

The soap opera continues though...
8/18/08 6:01 AM
PR

Lies. Sorry Spanky, your attempt to mimic my Demitra post fell through.

Face it, I'm the go-to guy when it comes to scoops. :)
8/18/08 2:37 PM
Mark1

I wish I could share some of my news and gossip with you guys.  I am sworn to secrecy however.

My good friend is a sportswriter for a large unnamed newspaper in a midwestern city that sounds like Fetroit.  He travels with the team often and has lots of good stories....  :)

Mark
8/18/08 2:58 PM
PR

Mark1 - a large unnamed newspaper in a midwestern city that sounds like Fetroit.

Is it Poo-troit?
Shit-troit?
Feces-troit?

Definitely has to be something along those lines.
8/19/08 11:44 AM
Stryfer

"According to a well-placed source, TFP has learned unrestricted free agent star center Mats Sundin is set on joining the New York Rangers."

Sorry, this is false. His agent addressed this and said Sundin hasn't even decided yet if he's going to play, let alone choosing where to sign. He still may yet join the Rangers, but it is definitely not set.
8/19/08 2:37 PM
XakumaX

come on , sign with montreal already.
8/27/08 5:30 PM
Stryfer

Sakic just signed a 1 year contract with the Avs today.

Hopefully Sundin follows and makes his decision this week too. He's holding back a lot of teams trying to make deals, even teams that aren't pursuing him.
9/6/08 11:17 PM
Big Pete

He signed with Pokerstars lol.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.