UnderGround Forums

Alabama Underground >> Congrats Spartans!!!

7/20/08 9:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/20/08 7:02 PM

Cody and Tyler for bringing home the gold in under 55 and 55-75. Dominating performance by Cody, and Tyler showed incredible endurance, having to win like 4 or 5 matches in his division to take the gold. Great job to both those guys.

Kevin missed weight, so instead of being in the 75-95 he decided to take the silver medal in the 95-215...great job...he got some tough draws and big dudes and was able to pull off some wins.

Crump, Rudy did a great job in the 55-75. Classy move by Rudy after DOMINATING his opponent he bowed out to Cody in the semis so Cody could go after one of Samuel's guys who was getting a little cocky, sticking his tongue out at all of us while we were cheering.

best part of the day...Thiago sticks his tongue out and Cody is right there matside during the Crump-Thiago match...Cody just looks at him and says, "Oh all right then"....then proceeded to MANGLE the guy in the finals, finishing it with an RNC that was just plain MEAN.

My boy Jason Davis got a tough draw with a super strong guy in the first round of the under 155, same story with Alex Harkin. Great job to both of you guys. You showed great heart in your matches and I was proud of both of you.

David Flick pulled off a NAILBITING performance of his own against a very game JImmy Mills trained student. The guy had some sick wrestling and got up on points early before David was able to come back and take it on points...BARELY!!!!.

Devin won a silver medal in the kids division. Great Job.

I had a great time out there with everyone. I apologize for leaving before the beginner open..I had nothing left in the tank after competing in intermediate and beginner....I needed pizza. I know Adrian stuck around to compete..so hopefully he did well. Before losing a semi-final match at beginner he had one of the sickest matches ever. Pulled off like 9 Rampage slams on one guy before the guy finally just tapped out.
7/20/08 11:04 AM
Alex Harkins
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You did an awesome job yesterday Seth, they screwed you over on your second match and you just got caught by a sandbagger in the finals of beginner, shit happens. A silver and a bronze are something to be proud of.
7/20/08 11:14 AM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Alex. You did really good to lil' bro. Your skill level is really improving and I thought you would beat that guy...your technique has come a long way since you started...way faster than mine did. stick with leif and you will be way better than I am in one year braddah.

Proud of you man!
7/20/08 2:23 PM
bigmills008
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stranglehold26 - David Flick pulled off a fairly dominating performance of his own against a very game JImmy Mills trained student. The guy had some sick wrestling and got up on points early before David was able to come back and take it on points.

it was like 9-6 that is not dominating
7/20/08 7:01 PM
Stranglehold26

omg...seriously? I said "fairly" dominating. Your guy got his points early....again, like I said.....then David was able to impose his will, stuff the td and dominate position.

My analysis I guess doesn't jibe with yours. I will edit the original to say, "David Flick pulled off a nailbiter..."
7/20/08 7:08 PM
Alex Harkins

Thanks a lot Seth, I have watched that video atleast 100 times and can't believe I couldn't get out of that triangle.
7/20/08 7:30 PM
Stranglehold26

Edited: 07/20/08 7:53 PM
more importantly Alex, have read my re-do ofthe David Flick match, and do you agree with it? your input is necessary to making sure this report called "congrats Spartans" remains unbiased and does not lose its credibility.

Thank you.

BTW, Mills...feel free to breakdown the matches yourself in a "congrats Port City MMA" thread. You guys had some BIG wins and deserve a shout out. You especially with your win over a very tough purple in Rodney Jefferson.
7/20/08 8:23 PM
KeithRL

Edited: 07/20/08 8:24 PM
Congrats to everyone who competed. Just stepping on the mat is a challenge. Three cheers to the Spartan crowd and all the AL-UG. Wish i could have made it but I'm lucky to have an hour free here or there. I think I have one week of free evenings in about a month, I'm going to try and make it up to the gym then. Back to the hectic schedule after that though. :( Miss you guys!
7/21/08 10:54 AM
Stranglehold26

Edited: 07/21/08 10:54 AM
me in my first match. All I could hear in my head was Chris Conolley at the last tournament saying to someone on the team...."No, we are not tapping to Kimuras today".

...and I didn't....and I won.
7/21/08 10:55 AM
Stranglehold26

thanks Eddie. I got the omoplata off of this...
7/21/08 10:55 AM
Stranglehold26

but he stepped over my head after this because I didn't execute properly.
7/21/08 10:56 AM
Stranglehold26

....and when you don't execute properly and you are freaking gassed....THIS is what happens.
7/21/08 10:57 AM
Stranglehold26

Thanks to Russell Moore (the guy in red) for sending me the pics. All the guys at Auburn Freestyle were great and I enjoyed meeting and rolling with them.
7/21/08 10:57 AM
Stranglehold26

Edited: 07/21/08 10:57 AM
double post
7/21/08 1:33 PM
Stranglehold26

and by the way, with only 12 guys competing...SPARTAN FITNESS TOOK SECOND PLACE IN THE TEAM COMPETITION. OUR HIGHEST PLACE YET!!! WHAT?!?!?!
7/21/08 1:34 PM
Stranglehold26

I am in touch with Samuel and will be picking up our second place trophy and bringing it to the gym!
7/21/08 1:51 PM
Stranglehold26

first will be next year. I also think a few of us should take the reffing seminar so we can have some of our guys reffing so that we don't end up matched up with Revolution guys with their coaches reffing...I'm just sayin'.
7/21/08 2:32 PM
Hiza Geri

someone else needs to come up with a tournament more people will go to...

EXCELLENT job by Seth and the crew.
7/21/08 2:54 PM
Stranglehold26

Spartan should run one. I will ref. Our gym will win. lol
7/22/08 5:50 AM
Stranglehold26

Edited: 07/22/08 5:52 AM
Just so you know. If the team trophy was based on average amount of points scored per competitor, instead of just how many total points you can accrue, then Spartan would have place first among teams with more than 6 people competing.

Revolution: 29 competitors, 49 point= 1.689 pts per competitor.

Spartan Fitness: 12 competitors, 21 points= 1.75 pts per competitor.

12 guys, 13 medals. Second place trophy is now at Spartan. Picked it up from Puccio last night.
7/23/08 12:23 AM
countrypimp

Edited: 07/23/08 12:23 AM
c'mon, man. Let it go. If you were not satisfied with second then why get the trophy?

Next time: take 40 competitors. now that would be something!

If anyone is interested, I'm having a no gi tournament in Dothan Aug 16th. competitor fee $30, spectator fee $5 bucks. We have 10 gyms committed with 40 - 50 competitors committed. Judges and Refs are coming from different gyms.

Basically, we put something together for the lower side of Alabama. But if it grows, more people will be involved in referee and judging.It will be our first, and we plan to have one about every other month. Trophies and medals of course. The website will keep track of invdidual stats for the championship matches in summer of 2009.

anyone interested, call me 912-309-0554or email aaroncornett@yahoo.com
7/23/08 6:12 AM
Stranglehold26

Why would anyone be "satisfied" with second place? I picked up the trophy because it was not just for me, it was for the whole team. While a second place trophy may leave a bad taste in my mouth, it may be something that the rest of the team enjoys having at the gym.

Your tourney sounds awesome. I am gonna try to make it down for that for sure. What are the skill divisions and weight classes, etc?

If I come down I will try to get some of my other guys to roll with me as well.

TTT for more Alabama based tournaments...and for having refs come in from other schools.
7/23/08 11:46 AM
Alex Harkins

I'd be down for that, sounds awesome
7/23/08 5:05 PM
Stranglehold26

so far I have like 5 people interested. If we all got together and carpooled down it would only be like 15 bucks or so for gas.
7/23/08 10:17 PM
countrypimp

let me know if you guys are coming and how many. Danny Ruiz is bringing 20 guys from Fort Walton!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.