UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Law Degree but didn't take the Bar exam???

7/23/08 8:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChangoBravo
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has anyone done this or known someone that has done this?

A recent conversation with some colleagues brought this idea to my mind.

A few people(myself included) are considering Law degrees in lieu of MBA's. I know of two people that have elected this route. One is in business(healthcare) development and contract negotiation, the other is a COO of a hospital.

I don't know them well, only that they both obtained Law degrees and had/have no intention of ever taking Bar exams in any state.

What experiences have any of you had with this idea??

Chango
7/23/08 9:36 PM
Hiza Geri
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know several. I initially started in the same manner - get the jd instead of the mba. Eventually, I told the corporate ladder to implode upon itself with a giant sucking sound, and started practicing. I know at least 7 people who have done this, though.
7/23/08 9:49 PM
Fake Pie
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why not do JD/MBA if that is what you want.
7/23/08 11:13 PM
Hiza Geri

That would be ideal, I guess, but I know I did the jd because I CAN'T do any accounting of any type past "your initial retainer is G-O-N-E."
7/24/08 10:08 PM
Trust
697 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think you would have to be a collosal fool to go through law school, pay the insane tuition, and not get your law license. 

I'd be willing to get these people had character issues in their background check and were not allowed to sit for the bar. 
7/25/08 1:36 AM
sside maurice
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know about 3 people who got their JD and went straight into IT. Not sure what they were thinking. At least one of them took the bar exam eventually.

Another person I went to school with didn't take the bar exam for several years, but she had no problem doing some corporate tax stuff in the meanwhile.
7/25/08 1:54 AM
Xtina

i know of two.  both came from...independently wealthy families...
8/13/08 11:06 AM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trust - you say character issues like it is a bad thing.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.