UnderGround Forums

PhotoshopGround >> Black and white photos and adding color

8/1/08 5:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GNPfan
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/01/08 5:42 PM

To busy to really research this topic, hopefully theres a quick answer or you can point me in the right direction. I see a lot of black and white photos with one of the objects or people in the photo in color. How is this done?
8/19/08 5:46 PM
jcblass
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

take your color picture, take all the color out of it with the HUE / SATURATION, open your HISTORY panel... Click prior to the HUE AND SATURATION and paint back the area you want to be colorized with the history brush. If you need it to be precise, you can use the quick mask on pen tool to create a nice selection the go to EDIT-FILL-then select history!
10/31/08 12:28 PM
SlapUsilly
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another way that i use.

-Make a duplicate of the photo on a separate layer.

-Select the Channel Mixer (under Image > Adjustments > menu on the top OR under the Layers palette} and just click on the box that says "monochrome" at the lower left. and applier to the layer that you just duplicated...it will turn that layer black and white

-apply a mask to the layer and paint out the areas (in the mask)that you want the color to show through.
10/31/08 9:34 PM
TUFF-N-UFF

TUFF-N-UFF FC, Media Relations
 I duplicate layers and individually select the area i want color, then adjust hue/saturation (check COLORIZE) and then adjust the opacity depending on the effect i want to accomplish...
12/30/08 2:31 PM
solaris9
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are a ton of ways in Photoshop. Some people find ready made Photoshop "actions" and download them off the web and just run them on a photo and that's it. Or you can look at the action steps to see how it's done and modify them.

Also play with Infrared effects to use as a black and white...you'll be wowed. Then take the original layer with the color and erase everything that you want to have that black and white affect on and that's it.

Here's a photo I took using infrared effects to achieve the black and white look I liked. It doesn't have color, but, imagine the building as people and you'll have a awesome contrasty image

Here's another one I did with the color standout for a Southern California music festival

2/14/09 10:58 PM
Shaz

SlapUsilly - Another way that i use.

-Make a duplicate of the photo on a separate layer.

-Select the Channel Mixer (under Image > Adjustments > menu on the top OR under the Layers palette} and just click on the box that says "monochrome" at the lower left. and applier to the layer that you just duplicated...it will turn that layer black and white

-apply a mask to the layer and paint out the areas (in the mask)that you want the color to show through.

Very cool - I just tried this and it worked like a charm, thanks!

-Shaz!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.