UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Jalapenos Were Too Friggin' Hot!

8/5/08 11:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay, so I smoked some jalapenos and made these things the other day.

Holy fucking shit, they were hot.  I removed the seeds and the white walls, but I think the smoking process somehow spread the heat throughout the meat of the chile.  Anyone know if this is the case?

They were really good, but I need some milder chiles.
8/6/08 9:56 AM
Extendo
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My jalepeno's have all gotten hotter after smoking as well.
8/6/08 5:49 PM
warcake
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those things look great.  I need to make them.  I will probably try it with pablanos (or maybe Anaheims).  I don't think my old lady can deal with the heat of the jaleys.
8/8/08 11:05 AM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm going to make a batch tonight, my peppers have been producing like crazy
8/8/08 3:15 PM
LeftBench
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck those look good
8/11/08 3:00 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, cooking always makes them hotter for some reason.  Grilling seems to do it the most.  I don't know why.  I am guessing it has something to do with being mushier and the cell walls being broken down so the capsaicin is allowed to flow freely and it has maximum contact with the surface of your mouth, versus eating a fresh jalapeno, which is broken up into relatively hard fragments where much of the capsaicin is still encased inside the fragments when they are swallowed.
8/11/08 3:36 PM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Next time I'll scoop the shit out before I smoke them.
8/15/08 5:26 PM
Fathead D
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have found that boiling a jalopeno makes it milder. 
8/15/08 6:33 PM
crescentwrench
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/15/08 6:33 PM
 If boiling makes them milder then here's my hypothesis of why 

grilling = loss of moisture = higher concentration of capsaicin per bite in addition to what alpo said.  Where a taste bud could have previously been taken up by water it is now catching capsaicin oil

boiling = leaching of capsaicin into water = lower concentration per bite

I'll start the testing phase once the approval paperwork for the $495,000 grant arrives.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.