UnderGround Forums

Alabama Underground >> Mobile "cage fighter" sentenced - hey Mills!

8/7/08 7:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hiza Geri
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you know anything about this guy, his dad, or the Shriner fights down there?

An Irvington cage fighter accused of inciting a brawl at an Auburn University fraternity house by yelling "Roll Tide" admitted Wednesday to bribing a retarded man to claim responsibility for injuries suffered by the brothers in the melee.

Joey Barrett Jr., 25, pleaded guilty in Lee County Circuit Court to two felony charges.

He was sentenced to 18 months in jail and five years probation after pleading guilty to first-degree assault, as well as one year, to run concurrently with the first penalty, for bribing a witness. The plea agreement, according to Lee County District Attorney Nick Abbett, allows Barrett to serve his time in Mobile County Metro Jail. 

Several other second- and third-degree assault charges levied against Barrett in connection with the fight were dropped after the guilty plea, Abbett said.

"I feel like justice was served," Abbett said. "This will give him an opportunity to get his life straightened out."

Barrett's father, Joey Barrett Sr., initially denied the allegations against his son, who he said was being "railroaded" by prosecutors. He didn't return calls Wednesday after the plea was made.

The fight that landed Barrett Jr. in jail began in font of the Phi Kappa Tau fraternity house on the eve of the 2005 Alabama-Auburn game. It ended with one of the brothers being sent to the hospital with a collapsed lung.

Barrett was initially put on trial for only the most serious of the assault charges levied against him. But when a key defense witness refused to testify, the judge declared a mistrial.

The defense attorney in the 2006 trial told jurors that Louie Holtz, now 40, of Mobile, would admit to get ting caught up in the fight and testify that it was he, not Barrett, who stabbed the fraternity brothers. The judge in the case, however, ordered Holtz to secure counsel, noting that Holtz had previously been declared mentally retarded.

Holtz's attorneys subsequently advised him not to testify.

Because the jurors had already heard that someone else was going to admit to the stabbings, however, the judge declared a mistrial. Abbett said investigation into the case continued after the trial, eventually revealing that Barrett had offered Holtz a car in exchange for taking the heat on the assault charges.

Abbett said none of the fraternity brothers involved in the fight recalled seeing anybody resembling Holtz.

Both Barrett and his father have appeared in local "last man standing" cage fighting matches at the Abba Shrine Center in Mobile.

Just what the sport needs...
8/7/08 8:55 AM
Russell Schenck
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/07/08 10:25 AM
FFI/Pro Managment LLC , Matchmaker/Owner
I think they started the fight club correct? It seems like I remember meeting the father over the phone and he was clueless when it came to MMA training. He was a former pro wrestler and was charging people to train at his gym and putting ammy fight cards togethor for the quick buck. It is actually a pretty funny story. Alan Belcher, Tony Roberts and myself and I think Jimmy might have been there, but we were in my office and we called Joey Barret Sr. and asked about his team and show and it was pure comedy. Alan asked if he taught the camel claw and what style of training he taught and he said Barret style. 20 Years of Pro Wrestling and he was coaching MMA. We had him on speaker phone and it was classic. No offense to anyone related to him on the UG "dont want to get shanked". Jimmy and I went to one of the shows at the whiskey to watch a young kid fight and was amazed at how crazy it was not including dangerous without having a commission it was anything goes. Crazy show to say the least.
8/7/08 3:43 PM
countrypimp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea, I read two articles in the Dothan Eagle about this cage fighter. what a joke.

Good going Barret: you just set the sport back 10 years!!
8/8/08 8:10 AM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That show sounds awesome!

ttt4 BUM FIGHTS!

I hear they paid their ammies too....but does it count as pay if the winner gets a bottle of Thunderbird or MD 20/20?
8/11/08 10:43 AM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just saw a brief write up about this in the bham news...great!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.