UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Hey dorks, recommend a book for me...

8/8/08 6:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fabes
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm traveling a lot this summer. I need some book ideas.

I like Apocalyptic type stories and I'm looking for non-fiction.

Holler at yer boy.

Here's my recommendation while we're at it:

"Galileo's Daughter" (one of my all time faves).

Nyooch.
8/8/08 12:53 PM
Fabes
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was kidding.

All suggestions are welcome.
8/8/08 3:28 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rahknee, stop trying to get Fabes to declare a cease-fire in the war on you.

Fabes, The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is amazing. Haven't had a single negative response from anyone I've recommended it to. It is fiction and just beautifully written.

Killer Angels by Michael Shaara is historical fiction about Gettysburg. It won him the Pulitzer and let his son get a career so you know its good.

Ironfire by Ball is a good one about Malta as well. Fictional but good insight. Also shows some of the Ottoman empire.
8/8/08 3:30 PM
Fabes

Thanks guys. Going to the book store tomorrow.

8/9/08 10:01 AM
FlashGordon2002
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just finished The Great Gatsby. I'd never read it before.

It was really good and it's short, too.
8/9/08 11:12 AM
jefft73
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most entertaining book I've read in the past couple years - Kiss Me Judas by Will Christopher Baer.

If you work in an office or have ever worked in an office Kings of Infinite Space by James Hynes
8/9/08 3:54 PM
Fabes

Interesting.

Thanks Dorks!
8/12/08 12:27 PM
Fabes

"I can also-anti recommend "The Insiders Guide to Currency Trading". Utterly useless."

Sounds anti-interesting.

I'm gonna check out Lymond's recommendations (even though I don't trust the Mudnamers).
8/12/08 3:40 PM
DaveGarcia
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Braekfast of Champions or Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
8/13/08 11:00 AM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fabes - "I can also-anti recommend "The Insiders Guide to Currency Trading". Utterly useless."

Sounds anti-interesting.

I'm gonna check out Lymond's recommendations (even though I don't trust the Mudnamers).

It's a trap! Let us know what you end up reading and what you think of them. We might actually get this subforum moving again! (yeah, no shot)
8/28/08 1:13 AM
Jase Nibourg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Read Shantaram. Probably one of the best books I've ever read... EVER. the authors style is amazing. When people ask me what it, his style, is like I tell them that he could make grocery shopping seem like the most intriguing and beautiful thing in life. He has a way of finding the most intimate beauty in things often overlooked by the average person.

The story takes place mostly in Bombay, and is based on the true story of his (Gregory David Roberts) experiences there. And trust me his experiences are not the normally traveler's tales. He got to see, and involve himself in some of the deepest parts of Indian, and especially Bombay, culture. There is something for everyone in it for sure. I'm typically a very fast reader and devour books, I don't have TV and read for entertainment, but I've been at this one for about a month now and I'm only halfway through. It's got a lot in it that's for sure, about 1000pgs deep.

One other great thing about getting your hands on this book asap is they're going to make a film about it soon starring Johnny Depp and there's no doubt he's an amazing actor so the flick should be great too.

That's my suggestion for you, check it out. Should be great especially if you're out and about traveling, because it might open your eyes to seeing some things you might overlook in your travels, and because it's so big and deep you'll likely only need the one book during your travels.

Trust me EVERYONE would love this book.
8/28/08 5:56 AM
Fabes

I've been reading a lot lately...but mostly on Physical Therapy and Fitness, etc.

Just finished The Road and I will be reading one of Lymond's suggestions next.

And LMNAO @ Garcia reading a book!

Laughable!
9/3/08 12:36 AM
jefft73
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude - it just came to me...you absolutely have to read Pale Horse Coming by Stephen Hunter. Crazy Zimmerman or anyone else who has read this will back be up 100% I friggin guarantee you will love this book. I average reading a book every week and this is still probably the most violent book that I have read. How's that for ya?
9/3/08 4:58 PM
DaveGarcia
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I can handle things! I'm smaht! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smaht and I want respect!"

-Fredo Corleone

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.