UnderGround Forums

Alabama Underground >> lesnar column by yours truly

8/12/08 6:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lesnar Wins, Fans Lose…But Why?
Seth Waggener

Like many MMA fans I watched UFC 87 this past Saturday night. Like most of my friends I was admittedly cheering against WWE superstar Brock Lesnar, and like those friends was shocked at the way Lesnar dominated the more experienced Heath Herring.

After the fight however I asked myself, why do I cheer against Lesnar? Is it because he is the co-main event at a UFC after having only two fights? Is it because I despise professional wrestling? Or is it because I cannot stand listening to every John Cena and Brock Lesnar t-shirt wearing, toothless redneck at the bar tell me that any WWE wrestler could manhandle a UFC fighter?

After a long thought provoking conversation with myself, I found it is option number three. I couldn’t care less that Lesnar is getting a shot at the big time with limited experience. Does it suck that there are hundreds of fighters who have paid their dues at smaller shows around the country who are being passed over for Lesnar? Sure, but that in and of itself is not enough to make me cheer against the guy. Sure I hate pro wrestling, but again, Lesnar has the “real” wrestling pedigree to fall back on, so again, not enough to make me cheer against the guy. If Lesnar was just some huge freak of nature who had made it into the UFC and was running through guys…I would probably be cheering him all the way to a showdown against Fedor.

cont.
8/12/08 6:45 AM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So that leaves me with this situation on Saturday night: An "MMA" fan wearing a Mexican flag Tapout shirt (He tells me he wears this because he is Italian, just like Roger Huerta) who says to me before the fight, "I don't even know who is on the card tonight except for Brock "expletive" Lesnar", as he high fives two friends who are wearing similar apparel.

As Lesnar rocks Herring with the first shot of the match, about 95 percent of the bar goes crazy cheering on their pro wrestling messiah. The man who has come down from above to prove to all these 30 plus construction workers that the "sport" they have dedicated every Monday night of their lives to for the past 20 years is not a waste of time.

"He just got caught up in one of them homosexual submissions last fight. He would murder most of the heavyweights in the UFC and everyone knows it," my "Italian" mma fan comments. "Hell John Cena and Batista (I have to assume these are pro wrestlers because of the way the "Italian" begins to sweat when he mentions their names) would beat that Fedor dude in under a minute," he prophesies.

I can only shake my head in disgust. Round three has begun and Herring is back in his turtle position, taking shots to the face, back and ribs from Lesnar, who looks like he has barely even broken a sweat. Herring has been in the ring with the best, and Lesnar is making him look like a sparring partner who showed up to let Brock get warmed up before the real fight.

Lesnar appears to be the real thing. Anyone who can dominate a UFC level fighter the way he did Saturday night has some talent. His size and wrestling ability alone give him the tools to be a tough opponent for anyone in the somewhat weak UFC heavyweight division right now. Lesnar holding the UFC heavyweight championship over his head? This will be the day that I no longer leave the comfort of my own home to watch the UFC Pay-per-views.
I hate not having a really good reason to cheer against Brock, but as long as these WWE fans are out there guzzling beer and proclaiming Lesnar the greatest fighter in the world, I will just have to stay at home.

Round five is wrapping up and as Lesnar puts on a very WWE-like show at the end of the fight, "riding" the Texas Crazy Horse, then "roping" him after the final bell...the bar goes crazy. The messiah has given them their victory. He has given every one of them a reason to get out of the bed Monday morning. That reason? Guys like me who told them Herring would submit Lesnar, who told them Lesnar wasn't the real deal.

So I guess in summation, I cheer against not Lesnar, but his legion of followers. Call me an MMA snob, or call me "old school", but Lesnar's success in the UFC leaves a bad taste in mouth. This sport I have called my own for so many years has been infiltrated by thousands of new fans who seem to have no appreciation for the sport's history. I know the influx of these very fans means the fighters can finally make the money they deserve, but at what cost?
8/12/08 10:03 AM
FCFBlazer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good write up.  I grew up a huge wrestling fan, and I am a fan of Brock Lesner and Kurt Angle, for many years probably based on their real wrestling pedigree.  In the transition to MMA, Brock has taken it very seriously, even moreso than the Legendary Gracie Hunter Sakuraba did many years before.  Its no secret how pro wrestling is viewed like night and day between the US and Japan.  Mostly trailer park trash watch in the US while the sport is celebrated as almost legit in the land of the rising sun. 

Keep your eyes on Brock's career in MMA.  He'll suprise you and make a fan of you.  With that said, I think he doesn't stand a chance against A level performers yet.  And if he hopes to beat Nog, he better hope the interim champ is on his way out of the sport. 
8/12/08 10:49 AM
Stranglehold26

I disagree with only one thing in your post:

"....and make a fan of you."

This will never happen.
8/12/08 11:23 AM
FCFBlazer

It's the Cock tattoo....isn't it? 

I'd like to see him fight Cheik Kongo next. 

Have you started posting articles for the Garv yet?
8/12/08 11:43 AM
Stranglehold26

i submitted the above article today and I am waiting to hear back from him regarding it.

It is not the tattoo.

He will MURDER Kongo.
8/12/08 4:11 PM
Hiza Geri

I pick Kongo by KO.
8/12/08 5:19 PM
countrypimp

I agree: good write up!

I don't think I will ever be a fan of Cock Lesnar for the reasons stated: too many guy have fought and stuggled in this sport for an asshole to just come in with one mma fight. Dana White is to blame for this, just as Elite XC is to blame for Kimbo. It's all about money.

Brock career will be short once everyone notices how easy he is to submit. I didn't see any great technical skill by Brock on Saturday: I saw a big guy dominating a smaller heavyweight.

I don't think Kongo can take him though. In the end, Brock Lesnar will be the reason Brock Lesnar will fail. Acting the way he did just enforced the opinion that this asshole still thinks he is in the WWE.
8/12/08 5:29 PM
Stranglehold26

well said pimp...or should I say, WORD LIFE!
8/12/08 5:44 PM
Hiza Geri

I'm tellin' ya, Kongo by KO.
8/12/08 5:49 PM
countrypimp

hiza: I hope so, but I just don't see it. Taking out that Viking goofball was not much to measure him by, was it?
8/12/08 6:11 PM
Hiza Geri

Is Herring a Viking??!!!
8/12/08 11:15 PM
countrypimp

no, the goof Kongo spanked, Dan Evenson. He was so psyched about being on PPV, trying to work the crowd and sing whatever his song was. He reminded me of that guy who showed up to football practice with his helmet on.
8/13/08 8:04 AM
gorillagrappling

Seth, great job. But it was a three round fight you smacker. Just when I thought Alabama would break out of the woods, this typo may hinder the whole thing. Think man, think. JK.
8/13/08 8:13 AM
Stranglehold26

yeah...I kind of threw that together in like 15 minutes and sent it over to him. I saw it as soon as I went to the site to check it out. Woops! Although it makes me seem like every other MMA writer out there lol. Thanks for the compliments though guys.
8/13/08 8:19 AM
gorillagrappling

^^^ LOL so true.
8/14/08 1:02 AM
countrypimp

again, great article.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.