UnderGround Forums

Alabama Underground >> Interesting post on Bullshido.net re: AL BJJ tourn

8/12/08 11:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/12/08 11:04 AM

Massive FRAT alert but I thought it was interesting to read a write up about the ABJFF tournament from someone outside the state. I found this on the Bullshido.net forums earlier today.

BJJ Tournament Bullshido Rediculous (sic)

So I want to just post my little story about my teams experience at the Alabama Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation State Championship. Yes, that is a big title for an event. So you would be expecting pretty classy event, that is on the up and up. Well, you would be wrong.

So they were advertising that everyone has to register by a certain date otherwise you will not be allowed to compete. So everyone on my team pre-registered. Then two days later they advertised that you can register at the door for 10 dollars more. So that was interesting, but no big deal. We travel all the way from Pensacola, Fl to Birmingham, AL to a little place called Samford University. All they told us was in the Gym. So we get to this place and there was no signs up, no banners, no anything to let us know where the place was. So we drive around for 20 minutes asking students until we finally found the place.

We went into the gym and there was two girls setting at the door to take money from people who wanted to watch. So we went into the gym and started looking for the scales because most of us had been cutting weight to compete in our weight class. Well, there were no scales. Anywhere. Apparently the guy wasn't there yet. So we had no idea what our weight was at that point, so we didn't know if we could start hydrating or need to do some jogging. So we figured we would go check out the brackets to see where and when every one was going to be fighting. That was a good idea, only one problem, they didn't have any brackets set up. Apparently no one knew when anyone was going to be fighting. So that was when we started to realize that this was not the best planned out "Championship".

So we sat around for 2 hours until the guy showed up with the scale. So we weighed in. Then we found out that they were giving a 2 pound cushion for anyone who was 2 pound over. Good thing we busted our buts cutting weight. At that point I met the organizer. I can't remember his name but he is apparently a Brazilian who is head of the BJJ Revolution team in Birmingham. Funny to find out that their team was going to be the biggest team showing up at the tournament. Who knew? Then we found out that all of the referee's were also members of the BJJ revolution team. Then we found out that the score keepers were also members of the BJJ revolution team. We also found out that the people keeping score at the score tables would not be showing the score during the match. They kept score on scrap paper at the tables they were setting at.

So they called all the people to the mats and started attempting to organize the fights. They had some makeshift brackets printed up and they started taking names to put on each paper so they could figure out who was going to fight who. It was interesting to look at the brackets and see that everyone who was going to have a by the first round happened to be on team BJJ revolution. That didn't bother us too bad because we came to fight, not sit the bench anyway. So they started the heavyweight intermediate on one mat, and the 155lbs class on another mat. Then they called one weight group down to the front and told the other to stand by. So everyone was trying to figure out where to go. They didn't have a microphone set up yet so they were trying to yell over everyone else's voices. Well a guy from my team came in first in the heavy weights. Then another of my guys came in second in the 195 under class.

So my class was coming up. I heard my name called. So I went to the mat and they told me that I was up next. So I met my opponent. I realized something was wrong immediately because he out weighed my by about 55 lbs. So I asked the ref what is going on. He said that I was competing in the open weight class. I told him that I didn't enroll in that class I enrolled in the 195-215. He said that I could roll in both weight classes if I want to. I said that would be cool, because I came to roll. I told him that I didn't want to miss my weight class. He said that it wouldn't be a problem, he would make sure that I had a spot left in my weight class and that I would be given time to rest between matches. So I said cool.
8/12/08 11:02 AM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/12/08 11:01 AM

So I rolled with the big guys(which I soon realized was just another heavy weight class other than me). I subsequently cam in 3rd place. I then went over to the other mat because I figured it had to me my weight classes time to go by now. I went over to the other mat with a team mate and we found out that I missed my weight classes matches. They were just getting done. My friend and I pitched a fit, but the Brazilian running the thing came over and informed us that there was nothing that he could do because the matches were over. It just so happened the a BJJ Revolution guy won that division. He said that he would allow me to compete in the open division in the next age bracket down. Hey what a nice guy. Anyone who has ever fought will realize that this is no gift that he just gave me.

So now I am tired after rolling with heavy weights and he is going to "let" me roll with heavy weights that are younger than me. So I fought against this guy. I just happed to be the first match. So much for my break. So I start with this guy, we go to the ground, no one got the takedown. I come up in side control. He pulls me into the guard. He tried an arm bar which I escaped from and came up in side control. We then scramble, and I end up in his guard. I start to pass the guard and he tried a triangle. I escape the triangle and come up in side control. This goes on until I escaped 3 triangles and 3 arm bars...coming up in side control every time. We end up in a wizzer and he starts to win it so I come out of it in the turtle position. He put his leg between my legs and I attempt a rolling knee bar. I missed the knee bar and he ends up in the mount. I sweep him out of the mount and then time was up.

So I look to the ref to see what the score was, 13-0 for him. I asked how I didn't get any points for all of those escapes where I came up in side control or the sweep when I was mounted. He just shrugged his shoulders. Turns out the guy I went against was a member of guess what team....yep BJJ revolution.

Who knew.

So this went on and on. There were matches were the ref was having to explain to the crowed why he didn't give point to certain moves. There were people booing. One guy slammed another guy from the guard(which is illegal) but the ref said nothing. One guy got choked out in a guillotine choke, and the ref didn't know he was out until the crowd was screaming at him. Then he runs over, lifted the unconscious guys legs up into the air and starts pumping his legs towards his head. So I guess that whole thing about maintaining the open airway and checking for breathing doesn't apply to jiu-jitsu refs. Then it was cool because they had an open weight even for the beginners. There were only 4 people in it. Two were heavy weights and two were light weights.
8/12/08 11:03 AM
Stranglehold26

So what do they do, they put each light weight up against each heavy weight instead of putting the two heavy weights together. So obviously the heavy weights win there matches and then go against each other. So the heavy weights place first and second and one of the light weights ends up in third. Guess what...both heavy weights were from the BJJ revolution team. So then we decided that we would sit around and weight to see when the team results were going to be posted. So then we found out that all the brackets would be taken home and tallied up there. We asked to see the brackets so that we could just see how many points we were going to get. We were told that no one is allowed to look at the brackets except the "officials". We were going to record our fights so that we could view them at home to be able to critique our performances.

Well we found out when we got there that you are not allowed to video record your matches. You have to buy the video from them whenever they get them edited. So that was nice. Well, we figured we would at least get to buy some cool tournament shirts just to show off.....but no. They were not selling shirts. We figured that a big BJJ "State Championship" would have some sponsors there selling shorts or something. That would be cool to get some gear since we live in Pensacola and there are no local venders for BJJ gear. But no, nothing there to sell. So all in all, they had a pretty good hustle going on. We left feeling a little bit like we got robbed. Suffice it to say that we won't be going back to that tournament again. Hopefully we can find one on the up and up to go to. We don't even want to buy the videos they are selling because we are scared that our matches won't even be on there.

So is anyone want to go to a nice, well laid out, BJJ tournament; don't go to Birmingham. It is unfortunate too because we were actually looking forward to this tournament for a long time. We were training for it. We were cutting weight. And we were hoping to have a good time so that we could go back in the future. So much for that.
8/12/08 4:09 PM
Hiza Geri
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow. That sounds alot like an email you've read, hicksfan!
8/12/08 5:44 PM
countrypimp

Edited: 08/12/08 5:47 PM
Damn!
Just to let everyone know: I don't have banners and shit for ours just yet! But I will tell you this: Dothan Combatives will not have the only say-so in the tournament.

I have judges from Panama City and Fort Walton beach, refs from Dothan and Montgomery. I personally will not judge or ref any matches (too much going on!).I talked with everyone who is working this tournament: we will be as fair as possible for each and every match! I believe that the more gyms and schools are involved with the tournament, the better level of competition, on and off the mat!

Honestly, we began with the whole Jiu-Jitsu challenge as an invitational event. But with such a big response, we had to make it an open tournament. I'm confident things will go smoothly.
8/12/08 6:01 PM
Stranglehold26

you have the right mind set about it and that goes a long way in it being a good tourney.

As you said in a previous post, you aren't doing this to make a quick buck. I hope you do make money, but it is obvious you are more concerned about putting together a fun, competitive and fair tournament.

when you are only in it for the money, it shows...see above post that I used to start this thread.
8/12/08 6:06 PM
MOWA Outlaw

LOL

Stranglehold26 - link? I'm curious about the replies & I'm too lazy to go over there myself. Thanx.
8/12/08 6:18 PM
countrypimp

I'm with MOWA: lazy (it was an effort to type this...and this). Which school was it?
8/12/08 6:53 PM
MOWA Outlaw

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73660
8/12/08 11:10 PM
countrypimp

Edited: 08/12/08 11:11 PM
for some reason, I can't post on that site(problem signing in)

Stranglehold, do me a favor and post my name and phone number. If these guys can't make this weekend hopefully we can get them up for October.

Thanks for the dothan plug too!

Aaron Cornett
912-309-0554
8/13/08 4:25 AM
Stranglehold26

I will do that today Aaron.
8/13/08 5:26 AM
Stranglehold26

posted a nice little commercial/plug for the tourney plus your number. The guy who started the thread only mentioned that he and his team were from Pensacola....but due to my crazy-sick interwebs skills...and Sherlock Holmes like powers of deduction: I found the list of teams from Samuel's website and am pretty sure he was from "Taylor Team-Pensacola"....that's all Samuel had on the team results list. Here is the list of guys from that team who competed in case you know any of them:

Daniel Brow – 155 – 175 – beginner – adult
Gilbert Taylor – 175 – 195 – beginner – master
Jaime Delarosa – 155 under – beginner – master
Richard Delarosa – 195 – 215 – beginner – adult

The guy who posted the story is Richard Delarosa I assume, as he mentioned he entered the 195-215 division. Get him up to Dothan I can grapple with him!
8/13/08 7:47 AM
Hiza Geri

Strangle-
I'm being deleted on Bullshido~ HELP!
8/13/08 7:55 AM
Stranglehold26

trolling a forum you just found out about it? c'mon hiza!
8/13/08 7:56 AM
Hiza Geri

The thing is, I WASN'T trolling!! I guess I kinda have to now, since some juvenile mod is deleting any post he considers to be "off topic". I hate that crap!
8/13/08 8:14 AM
Stranglehold26

yeah...damn rules. What are these people, lawyers?
8/13/08 12:26 PM
BlazerinTraining

Too funny... somehow I can relate to this guys pain as can Seth and a few others from Spartan
8/13/08 12:34 PM
Stranglehold26

for sure. I knew you would appreciate it. Just nice to see that others saw it exactly as we did.
8/13/08 1:52 PM
Hiza Geri

Strangle and I both own deleted posts, now. What a POS.
8/14/08 12:50 AM
countrypimp

stranglehold: thanks alot!

don't worry everyone, they can delete anything they want. But this is home. You can always go back home.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.