UnderGround Forums

TravelGround >> Passport woes

8/14/08 2:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shaz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had an interesting week.  We're flying to Aruba on Saturday, and on Monday my wife found our passports.  Much to my surprise, it expired last week.  Not good.

So I go on the state department website to see how to renew it.  If I mail it in, it will take 6-8 weeks.  Not good.

If I pay extra to "expedite", it will take 2-3 weeks.  Not good.

There's a thing that says if you're travelling in less than 14 days, call the toll free number, so I do and pick my regional center (New York) to make an appointment.  Earliest available appointment - Next week.  Not good.

I call back and get a human on the phone, she says there's no way I can get in without an appointment, and she recommends I make an appointment at the Philadelphia or Boston (!) office.  With no other apparent options, I book a slot in Philly.  I called back to see if I would get the passport back the same day, she said they couldn't guarantee it.  Really not good.

So I look around online and find out about these passport expediters who are somehow about to get same day or next day service.  I found one that seemed to have a good rep and was local to me and went in yesterday.  I paid $250 for the 2 day service plus the $135 government fee and they said it would be ready 9AM Friday (fingers crossed).  So wish me luck!

And if anyone has any good travel tips for Aruba that would be cool too! :)

-Shaz!
8/14/08 3:55 PM
Shaz

UPDATE:  Got a call today, the passport agency wasn't happy that my current signature doesn't look like my old one and rejected my application.  I'm going down tomorrow morning 9 AM with the courier from the expediter in order to get it done - hopefully.

-Shaz!
8/14/08 4:41 PM
LeftBench
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yikes. My friend went to Mexico a few weeks ago, got denied at the airport because her passport expired.

She was able to get her passport in 2 days in NYC without an appointment. She went to the consulate.
8/14/08 9:45 PM
Shaz

Which consulate?  I thought each only helps its own citizens.

-Shaz!
9/3/08 5:22 AM
TheAdonis

-Good Luck!

-ADONIS!
9/6/08 4:29 PM
Shaz

Thanks - I was able to get it all sorted out, got my passport less than 24 hours before my flight left and it cost me a hell of a lot more than I thought it would but it was all good, and the trip rocked.

-Shaz!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.