UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Which breed of dog is most 'cat-ish'?

8/14/08 10:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
fokket
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1) Independant
2) Survive on its own

etc. etc.

Shiba comes to my mind.
8/14/08 11:00 AM
cbia
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They're close to your requirements. Here is mine when he was a pup:

I would also have to put huskies in there too.
8/14/08 11:03 AM
Daredevil73
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My parents have a Shiba, I'd say that's correct.

She listens about as well as a cat does.
8/14/08 11:03 AM
None So Blind
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've read about several breeds of pretty big dogs (Tibetan Mastiffs, Great Pyrenees, etc.) that are really independent - they don't hang out with humans much, and supposedly treat their humans like associates rather than pack leaders or even pack members. IIRC, when you get one of these, you simply let it roam on your grounds (which are hopefully very large) and let them do as they will, and they may possibly hunt and kill their own food (although leaving some out for them is what people tend to do).
8/16/08 8:24 PM
smileythai

Given the parameters you're describing livestock guardian breeds.
8/16/08 8:25 PM
Duncan Harcourt

Pomeranians are most cat like to me, but not in a survive on it's own kind of way.

An independent/survival dog would probably go to the Wolf Hybrid.
8/16/08 8:31 PM
Polaris
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OBVIOUS ANSWER-Just get a cat.
8/16/08 8:38 PM
Polaris
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FleshEatingBull - cats are ghey tho.

Only as gay as the person owning them.

PS-Felines are pure killing machines for you "alpha male" wannabes. Put an evenly matched p4p cat vs. a dog and the cat will own.
8/16/08 8:40 PM
Duncan Harcourt

Polaris - 
FleshEatingBull - cats are ghey tho.

Only as gay as the person owning them.

PS-Felines are pure killing machines for you "alpha male" wannabes. Put an evenly matched p4p cat vs. a dog and the cat will own.

This shit is so old. It's been shown that Dogo Argentino dogs have absolutely thrashed similar sized cougars.
8/16/08 8:42 PM
Kostakio
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Polaris -PS-Felines are pure killing machines for you "alpha male" wannabes. Put an evenly matched p4p cat vs. a dog and the cat will own.
That is indeed true. I dare anyone to bring a dog weighing in at what my cat, Hercules, who I have only fed home-cooked vegetarian meals since the day he was born, weighs, and there will be (doggy) blood!!!11111234567890

8/16/08 8:43 PM
Duncan Harcourt

Kostakio - 
Polaris -PS-Felines are pure killing machines for you "alpha male" wannabes. Put an evenly matched p4p cat vs. a dog and the cat will own.
That is indeed true. I dare anyone to bring a dog weighing in at what my cat, Hercules, who I have only fed home-cooked vegetarian meals since the day he was born, weighs, and there will be (doggy) blood!!!11111234567890

How much does your cat weigh? I probably know of some mean Pomeranians that would love to tangle!
8/16/08 8:43 PM
Kostakio
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duncan Harcourt - This shit is so old. It's been shown that Dogo Argentino dogs have absolutely thrashed similar sized cougars.
This thing???

I'd demand for it to be tested before and after the fight!

8/16/08 8:45 PM
JacksRomously
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/16/08 8:47 PM
Dogs are pack animals so they will never be independent the way a cat is. They rely on packs for protection, hunting, and just to socialize. And there just too slow to hunt things 1 on 1. Even coyotes hunt in at least pairs. So i guess none of them.
8/16/08 8:46 PM
Kostakio

Duncan Harcourt - How much does your cat weigh? I probably know of some mean Pomeranians that would love to tangle!
Are you kidding me??? I'm not sure how much Herc weighs exactly but I will tell you this: not only is his diet better than 95% of humans' (including my own), but he exercises daily (5-6 days/week). I'm like one of those psycho pit bull owners who exercise their dogs like soldiers. The only diference is that I don't make my cat fight... oh wait...

:)

8/16/08 8:54 PM
Duncan Harcourt

Kostakio - 
Duncan Harcourt - How much does your cat weigh? I probably know of some mean Pomeranians that would love to tangle!
Are you kidding me??? I'm not sure how much Herc weighs exactly but I will tell you this: not only is his diet better than 95% of humans' (including my own), but he exercises daily (5-6 days/week). I'm like one of those psycho pit bull owners who exercise their dogs like soldiers. The only diference is that I don't make my cat fight... oh wait...

:)

I'll go recruit a Pomeranian or Mini Pinscher, put him under my wing, and turn him into a beast!
8/16/08 8:56 PM
Kostakio

Hercules will shred him apart! not kidding. Call off your boy!

8/16/08 9:05 PM
kalki

an African-dingo.......
8/16/08 9:05 PM
Polaris

I will get a Maine Coon, or anything equal to prove my fucking point! Who is the "King of the Jungle?" It's not a fucking canine! I have nothing against dogs, but felines are just purely superior in every way imaginable.
8/16/08 9:08 PM
Duncan Harcourt

Polaris - I will get a Maine Coon, or anything equal to prove my fucking point! Who is the "King of the Jungle?" It's not a fucking canine! I have nothing against dogs, but felines are just purely superior in every way imaginable.

It depends how you look at it. Superiority is pretty subjective. Felines, even lions, aren't the pack hunters that canines are.
8/16/08 9:08 PM
Cire
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My cat, KGB, is 15lbs lean. He has killed other cats, squirrels, birds, dogs(abandoned), coons, and more I cannot think of at the moment. He has given me a new respect for the killing machines that they are naturally. He will probably kill me in my sleep one day. But, since I have had him, I now want a Savannah(up to 40lbs). But several grand for a cat is taking a while to save up.
8/16/08 9:13 PM
Clichy
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duncan Harcourt - Pomeranians are most cat like to me, but not in a survive on it's own kind of way.

An independent/survival dog would probably go to the Wolf Hybrid.

I second Pomeranians. My roommate has one and the little guy just does his own thing without a care in the world. He lets you know if he needs you, which isn't often. He is a cool little dog though.
8/16/08 9:15 PM
atomjack

Dude, just get a cat? Dog's aren't supposed to be that way. That's why people like them, because they can be controlled and learn tricks. Suprisingly, I also agree pomeranians are great and smart dogs.
8/16/08 9:16 PM
Kostakio

What's a pomeranian? brb now...
8/16/08 9:17 PM
Kostakio

wtf?! Am I on the GayGround?! j.k. :P
8/16/08 9:27 PM
Polaris

LOL

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.