UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> knives

8/18/08 8:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ProMagnus
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

which ones are the best
8/19/08 2:31 PM
Willybone
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/20/08 9:50 AM
First, the obvious question:
Best for what?

But, my personal easy answer is "Columbia River". They've got an excellent quality to cost ratio, and they make just about any style of knife you could need. I beat on mine constantly, because they're cheap to replace, but I haven't had to replace one yet.
My Spyderco, on the other hand, gets polished, coddled, and babied.

9/22/08 9:09 AM
Steven Lefebvre
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello,

Which ones are best? Well that would be a personal decision, depending on cost, utilization, blade design, steel type, folder, straight blade, carry considerations...........

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net
www.Sayoc.com
9/22/08 9:32 PM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are a few I recommend. I use the Cold steel trail master carben V Full Bowie Knife, + the Ontario Rat 3Randall, plus my own design 6 inch Double edge Fighting blade and a Gerber multi-tool.

But the Tops Tom Brown I heard was well designed, and the Ka-bar Army fighter I like as well.

J.M.
www.thecombatnation.com
9/24/08 2:37 AM
BEEF & CHEESE

The KA-BAR is all Marine Corps.
9/24/08 9:36 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey B&C What up bro? Ya I guess Ka-bar stamps the same knife for each group. But all has 7 in blade 1050 metal with around 58 rc W leather grip. I hear very good feedback about it, great over all knife. Bro were you in the corps??
1/1/09 6:20 PM
4 Ranges

Edited: 01/01/09 9:06 PM
I second the rat 3! Good recommendation Joe!

I have a wide collection of high end production knives and customs, and I must say that little Ontario Rat 3 knife is one of my all time favorites.

It's really comfortable for utilitarian use, carries easy, very low profile, yet handles comfortably during knife-drills. Also sheeple-friendly. Doesn't scare the in-laws.

Plus it's cheap! I think you can find them on ebay for $50-$70. The steel is really good too: D2, which is one of my favorite steels.

Another one to look at is the Buck Nighthawk. $35 at Wal-Mart, and super impressive. They recently abused it on knifetests.com, and apparently the testers felt it was worth way more than the $35 price tag.

If I'm not mistaken, they even put that knife through concrete without severe damage.
5/31/09 1:56 PM
HULC
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Possibly not what you're asking, but in terms of survival knives it's nigh on impossible to beat the Frost Mora for cost. Several survival experts rank them the best survival knife in the world, yet they retail for £6-7, which is something like $10 in America.
6/2/09 5:27 AM
4 Ranges

The mora does rank very high. The Nighthawk is still my current fave. :)
6/2/09 11:49 AM
WidespreadPanic

Be aware that there are two groups of knives and they are usually vastly different.

One group, called 'production knives' are made by machines, being stamped or cut out and then tempered in a factory process designed to turn out a minimal quality knife.

Of those types, I believe Randall knives are near the top of the line.

If you really want a good knife that you can rely on for a lifetime and you have the money, then Custom knives are the way to go. But even back in the 80s when I researched them, they were around $1000-2000 per knife and had a long waiting period.

You might be ale to find a rare custom knife for sale in an estate sale or at a gun show, but it's not easy to find.

For working knives, back in the 90s, cold steel was a pretty good buy. Now, I think they make them differently, not sure, so the quality may not be the same. Check into the type of steels. 440 stainless is typically the least favorable.

6/3/09 10:14 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EDC, self defense under the law, self defense f--k the law, hunting/fishing, surgery? you need to define the scope of practice of this knife before any real reccomendations can be made.
6/13/09 7:05 AM
The Hook

Edited: 06/13/09 7:06 AM
Best "pocket" knife ever.

Seriously though, I give second vote for Columbia River. Good price and good quality knives.

Just bought one of these and it's sweet.

One of my favorites though, is Emerson. They are a bit more costly, but sweet knives, especially if you get one with "the wave".

In this picture, the wave is the little hook thing just behind the thumb stud. As you pull the knife from your pocket, it catches and automatically opens the blade. Easy, one hand operation and SUPER FAST.
6/15/09 8:37 PM
cluster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hm, lemme jump on this:

Looking for a folder, blade under 3". Just something to carry...open boxes, etc. Would prefer price to be around $100, but understand that cheaper than that often == total junk.

The Emerson CQC 14 was recommended to me, but looking for it on the interwub, it seems like everyone's backordered at least for another year or so....

Anything comparable?
6/17/09 5:19 PM
Willybone
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of the things I like about Columbia River is their choice of custom knife makers to work with.
Sure, I'd LOVE to own a real, hand-made Brian Tighe, Bob Lum, Elischwitz (sp?), but I just don't have the budget for that. So, while I'm not getting the same quality a hand-made original would have, it certainly doesn't suck to be able to get at least the same styling for 20% of the cost. And it seems like they pick all of my favorites to get designs from.
Plus, the CRKT knives I have bought have all been extremely sturdy and reliable.
6/18/09 1:55 PM
WidespreadPanic

Edited: 06/18/09 1:56 PM
Thing about a hand-made knife with a pedigree from a known maker, maybe even a forged blade, will increase in value. A production knife will not.

Of course, you might be reluctant to use a hand-made knife, so you have to decide your need.

If you are using your knife in situations when your life depends on it, you want to get the best quality possible.

Though upkeep is more important, stick with various carbon steels and away from stainless, imo.

Also, a hand-made knife has a type of 'zing' or a cool sound when you unsheath it or tap it. It seems to 'sing' in your hand, unlike any production knife.

A lot of people get into making their own knives for this reason, using a good source steel like a truck spring.
6/18/09 2:04 PM
Willybone

That's a good point. I carry my Spydercos and CRKTs all the time, and I don't mind ripping open boxes or whittling wood with them. (Well, actually, I still hesitate with the Spydercos.)
If I could get my dream Brian Tighe custom, I think it'd sit at home in a nice, glass-top box.
6/19/09 1:13 PM
WidespreadPanic

Edited: 06/19/09 1:14 PM
I researched getting a custom knife in the early 80s. If I had gone ahead and spent $800-1000 bucks, that knife in mint condition would be worth 3-5x that in value now, especially if the knifemaker had retired or passed on. So it is a pretty good investment.

I was pretty luck and got several Al Mar knives before he sold the business and I have a 1980s Cold Steel Trailmaster in great condition (never used). I wish I had gotten the San-Mai, but opted for the carbon steel.

6/24/09 1:38 PM
Dark Knight
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.chrisreeve.com/greenberet.htm

This knife is known to the U.S. Army Special Forces as "The Yarborough" and to everyone else as "The Green Beret Knife". It is a no-nonsense, hardworking tool, designed by renowned knife maker and designer Bill Harsey, with function and manufacturing input from Chris Reeve. Made in Boise, Idaho by Chris Reeve Knives, the Green Beret Knife is a using knife that, just like the men for whom it was designed, is efficient, tough and uncompromising.

7 inch 5.5 inch optional aftermarket sheath black leather CPM S30V stainless steel 55-57 RC KG Gun-kote 5.50" (139 mm) full tang 0.220" (5.6 mm) 10.875" (276 mm) 11.8 oz. (335 g) black leather Use of Special Forces insignia does not indicate endorsement by U. S. Army Special Operations Command. Photos

As from August 23, 2002, a serialized version of the "Yarborough" knife will be presented to each graduate of the Special Forces Qualification Course. Efficient - Tough - Exceptional Words that describe the men of the U.S. Army Special Forces

Words that describe the knife designed specifically for these men Without the name "Yarborough" and non-serialized, the otherwise identical knife - The Green Beret Knife - is available from Chris Reeve Knives.
6/28/09 10:16 AM
Jeff_H
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe and/or 4 Ranges, do you have an opinion on the Ontario Rat 1? I'm looking to buy a folder and am considering the Benchmade 10751BP which I can get on eBay for about $50.

I just searched eBay for the Rat 3 after reading this post but I would prefer a folder. There are a bunch of Rat 1 knives on eBay for less than 1/2 the cost of the Benchmade.

Thoughts?
7/3/09 11:46 PM
killacox

check out youtube for some great knife reviews. pretty sure i saw one on rat 1

the benchmade vex is one of their best red class knives. real great knife for the price

fuck ebay tho, support your local knife shop!

as for custom vs production i believe times have changed! you may get production knives that are custom knife quality and there are so many great custom knife makers out there you may find some great knives that will last a lifetime for under a grand

steel has changed too. can find some great "stainless" used for production blades like S30V and 154cm

check out bladeforums.com and usual suspects forum

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.