UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> HP Lovecraft

8/20/08 9:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seul
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any of you folks ever read any Lovecraft?

I picked up a short story collection on a whim (I liked what wikipedia told me about the cthulhu mythos) and absolutely loved it.

I'm reading through "At the Mountains of Madness" right now, which I'm liking even better than the shorter pieces.
8/21/08 12:00 PM
Willybone
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am almost done with a collection, "The Call of Cthulu and Other Weird Stories".
I have to say, I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I am. His over-use of language makes me laugh because I love word games and linguistic gymnastics. I feel like he genuine loved the English language and was having a blast writing this stuff.
And for some reason, his "I'd love to tell you exactly but it's beyond words and would probably make you kill yourself" vaugeries never really get old for me; they make me smile every time.

Fun, fun stuff.
8/21/08 2:59 PM
Seul
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The Call of Cthulu and other weird stories" is the same one I picked up, too.

While I loved the title story, "the whisperer in the darkness" and "The shadow over innsmouth" were my favorites.

I'd really encourage you to check out "At the mountains of madness" whenever you get done, it's (in my view) even better than any of his short stories (and its a short novel, as opposed to a short story). He goes a little past his usual reticence in terms of the nature of this particular horror, but not much past any of the stories (and not enough to lay it bare and strip it of wonder).

I love that I have to really pay attention to his writing (I think due to his elaborate tendencies), I share your joy at being required to wade through his extravagant sentences.
8/21/08 3:43 PM
Willybone
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I was pissing off fellow commuters this morning, because I was honestly laughing out loud at "Whisperer In The Darkness". The lead character's total cluelessness to the danger his was in is some of the funniest stuff I've read in a while.

"Don't bother with that fresh, shiny cylinder joined to the other two testing instruments - the one with my name on it."

I mean no disrespect in saying the stories are hysterical. It's still good writing, but I think his dry sense of humor is brilliant.

8/21/08 4:48 PM
Seul

I know what you mean, the continuing denial of pretty much every narrator makes for some funny moments.

If you're laughing audibly over that, you may choke when you read "Shadow over Innsmouth".

Speaking of pissing people off, I started reading the Bloodninja cybersex chat logs (The "I put on my robe and wizard hat" things) for the first time in my college library (in the week before exams, no less).

I just about choked to death trying to keep from being too loud; I expect the strangled hacking sounds I made instead where just as bad, though.

Glad you're enjoying it...
8/25/08 2:39 PM
Androyd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im also reading "The Call of Cthulu and Other Weird Stories". Its my first taste of Lovecraft and im really enjoying it
12/23/08 8:29 AM
ferox13
669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love THE DUNWICH HORROR - actually I love loads of his stuff they're pretty pulpy byt fun none the less.
1/11/09 1:53 PM
DuSmiEthwhi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.