UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> pesto ideas

8/22/08 3:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
John9821
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i love pesto.

When ever i eat it, i want to continue burping it for 3 days!

What are some good ideas not just for "Basil, EVOO, pine nuts, blender"

but ideas what to combine it with other than pasta
8/23/08 9:11 AM
rerox

pizza, baguette spread, salad dressing....

you can use arugula instead of basil too...makes for a peppery pesto...
8/23/08 11:16 AM
crescentwrench
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've seen people treat pesto like a condiment, putting it on burgers and hot dogs and stuff.  Maybe it would be good in stuff like couscous or you could make a pesto tabouli or something. 

The ingredients lend themselves to lots of variety.  I bet any nut would make it passable; walnuts, macadamias, pistachios.  I don't know what another type of oil like sesame oil would do, probably wouldn't be good to use all sesame but cutting in a little might be good.  

You can throw in some sun-dried tomatoes or some other ingredient to change it up.  What about capers or artichokes?  Or you could but in a bunch of olives and make some weird pesto-tapenade hybrid.  I'm just typing the first stuff that pops in my head, I'm sure some of this would taste horrible, lol. 

At what point do you mess with it so much that a pesto quits being a pesto? 
8/23/08 2:03 PM
John9821

point taken cresentwrench.

Im not much of a cook, so I look for tips anywhere. I mean I ate chicken out of a can last night!
8/23/08 6:59 PM
samichlaus
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Takes a few cups of warm chunks of chicken, smoked, grilled, baked etc, toss them in pesto to cover, stuff the mixture into large tomatoes that have been gutted (like a jack-o-lantern) and salted. Top with a nice slice of provolone. Cook over indirect, medium heat for 20 min or so, on your grill. You could this in your oven too. Garnish with a fresh basil leaf if you're so motivated. Sometimes I throw in some cooked mushrooms too.
8/23/08 11:56 PM
John9821

thats what I was looking for!!
8/24/08 9:51 AM
crescentwrench
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John9821 - Im not much of a cook, so I look for tips anywhere. I mean I ate chicken out of a can last night!
ehh, if that's the case then you probably picked a good starting point.  I haven't had a lot of experience with pesto but it looks like it's one of those magic things that's easy, delicious, and foolproof.  

Here's the pesto search from food network
search.foodnetwork.com/food/recipe/pesto/search.do

They even have pistachios and tomatoes in there, I was at least partly right! 

I say go mad scientist.  Not too mad though, fresh basil isn't cheap in bulk, or the fancier nuts for that matter.  I did see like a 7lb bag of pine nuts at Sams though and thought, "I bet that would a lot of pesto".  

Then think of dishes that are sauced and/or stuffed and conceptualize what it might be like if you just substitued pesto.  Pesto grilled chicken instead of barbecue sauce.  Pesto stuffed pork chops.  Uhh, nachos with mozzerella and pesto.  PBLT.  Caramel pesto sundae.  Well, they can't all be home runs. 
8/24/08 1:39 PM
John9821

Im going with apple pie-ala-mode with pesto being on top!
8/26/08 12:31 PM
alpo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I make seared tuna steak sliders, I always use pesto and a grilled portobello.  I also use it when I make pizza, but you have to use a lot.

I suggest buying some basil plants and just keep them around.  I have fresh basil all the time, it kicks ass.  I just have to water them every few days.

8/28/08 1:01 AM
ashleigh11
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i tried a recipe for walnuts, rosemary and parmesian. not too bad, and i only needed a small amount of oil to make it work.
9/5/08 7:50 PM
dunc
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alpo - When I make seared tuna steak sliders, I always use pesto and a grilled portobello.  I also use it when I make pizza, but you have to use a lot.

I suggest buying some basil plants and just keep them around.  I have fresh basil all the time, it kicks ass.  I just have to water them every few days.

Seared tuna steak sliders? This is why I wish I was your friend.
9/15/08 11:07 AM
Mullet @ Heart
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Once in a while I'll use a little arugula in place of some of the basil. Definitely not "better", but a nice change of pace from time-to-time.
9/25/08 5:29 PM
SE7ENFOLD

Cut a pocket into some boneless chicken breast and stuff it with the PESTO. Then, wrap the chicken breast in proschuto, bacon, or any type of cured ham, and Bake.

(we usually serve it with a bowtie pasta and a vodka cream sauce.)
10/7/08 11:26 AM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Swap the Basil and Pine Nuts for Parsley and Walnuts. You could probably even use Marijuana in place of the Parsley if you're into that kind of thing.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.