UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Forever Peace by Haldeman

8/25/08 10:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
aegix
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not terribly well-read in sci fi, but would like to be.  So, I got a list of books which won both the Hugo and Nebula awards (not the most inspired way, I realize), went to the used book store and picked up about 10 of the titles. 

The first I'm reading is "Forever Peace" by Joe Haldeman.  Anyone read it?  I'm about 2/3rds through it (a little past where Julian has visited Marty and the 20) and am bored to tears.  From reading the reviews on Amazon and it looks as though maybe "Forever War" would have been the better choice.

Do you have a better Haldeman book?  Is my method of getting my reading list sound or are the awards hit and miss?
8/31/08 2:01 AM
Fulkrum78

Forever War was good.

Try Vernor Vinge's Vastness Upon the Deep/
8/31/08 9:26 AM
aegix

Thanks. 
9/2/08 9:44 AM
FlashGordon2002

Forever War is good. I think it's a great example of "good" science-fiction...by that, I mean a book which attempts to show the possible implications of technological advances on the human condition.

I think the Forever War is the first book I've read which attempts to delve into the consequences of relativistic effects on space travel/war. I'm almost through reading it and it's been interesting.
9/15/08 3:36 AM
amorphous
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Although the Forever War was better Forever Peace was fantastic. Some really cool ideas in that book. :)
9/15/08 3:20 PM
Lymond
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hated both Forevers. Can't understand the acclaim those books receive. If you're looking for some classic Sci-Fi that is also great reading, check out More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon and The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester. Bester's Demolished Man is also damn good.
9/15/08 5:55 PM
aegix

Lymond - I hated both Forevers. Can't understand the acclaim those books receive. If you're looking for some classic Sci-Fi that is also great reading, check out More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon and The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester. Bester's Demolished Man is also damn good.

Cool.  I'm reading "Gateway" by Fredrick Pohl, another dual Hugo and Nebula winner and I'm not all that thrilled about it yet (about 1/3 of the way through, concluding Bob's first mission, if you've read it).
9/15/08 11:05 PM
TheStewedOwl
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forever War is good. Pairing it with Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" is worthwhile.
9/17/08 3:21 PM
FlashGordon2002

Forever War is a good book because it's actually real science-fiction...it tries to hypothesize what could happen to humanity as a consequence of technological advances.

Forever War and Starship Troopers are similar but the similarities are actually somewhat skin deep. Forever War deals with the sociological ramifications of relativitistic space travel. Starship Troopers is basically a political manifesto of sorts in the first 2/3's and an adventure story in the last 1/3.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.