UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Shantaram- by Gregory David Roberts

8/28/08 1:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jase Nibourg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has anyone read it? I'm about half way through and I absolutely love this novel. I can't put it down....

if you've read it what's your take?
what about the film version of it coming soon?
will it be good or bad?
Johnny Depp as Linbaba?
Once I'm done this book what would be a good follow up read?
8/29/08 1:18 AM
Gladys Kinght and the Pips

Jase
i have completed the novel and am thrilled to hear you are enjoying it
i thought at times some of the writing was way too flowery and after multiple descriptions i felt i understood what he was describing without it being painstakingly described again.
i have also been to india which helped a little
i think it would make a great film provided it's not too Hollywoodised - i think you know what i mean
I think a better lead would have been a Ryan Gosling type but Johnny will suffice
I don't know what to read but as it's written by an Australian might i suggest the australian classic A fortunate life by AB Facey, amongst others
I woiuld really love Gregory to write about his life before he escaped. I have seen him interviewed and he is obviously well educated
8/29/08 1:24 AM
Jase Nibourg

I like his "flowery" style and descriptions.

I tell my girlfriend, who introduced me to the novel, "your wings are showing... but that's ok, only I can see them" all the time.

I like the way he describes the often overseen beauty in everyday/normal things.

Personally I think Depp is a bit edgier, in a good way, much like the character of Linbaba. Ryan Gosling is a little too pretty for what I perceive Gregory's life to have made him.

I would Love to see India. Unfortunately I've created a life for myself that restricts my traveling a bit, and allows pretty much only traveling for work purposes (although, owning/running a martial arts school does allow for some cool "work related" travel opps, I'm hoping to do thailand soon)

Thanks for your response
11/27/08 5:34 PM
nineteen
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sweet

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.