UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Complete beginner seeking advice.

8/29/08 12:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FutureProdigy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have wanted to get into hunting for quite some time now but the problem is, I was not fortunate enough to grow up in a family that enjoyed the outdoors. I did not have a mentor who could teach me the basics about hunting. No body I know, whether family or friend, hunts and or shows any interest in wanting to hunt; and thus arises my problem, how does a complete beginner, with no hunting ties, get into hunting (aside from the legalities of getting your FAC and PAL and licences)?

For example, I do not know how one would find a place to hunt. Worse than this, is the fact that i do not know what one would do if they ever did get a kill (aside from the short field dressing unit covered in hunters ed), or what to do with the meat (does one just bring it home and attempt to butcher the animal themselves, etc).

So, basically... Is there any where one can go to learn how to hunt without having to just head out into the woods themselves ?

Thanks for any input,
Jason

p.s. i live in souther ontario, canada.
8/29/08 10:47 PM
jscorbett
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best advice I can give you is look for a mentor. Since I am not from Canada, I don't have much advice for the hunting culture there, so, it would be hard for me provide much help.

Do you live in a rural area?

What are your ties to the area, ie, do you have a way to meet folks that could give you access to hunt?

Is there a local sporting goods/hunting store nearby? If so, hang out there, meet other hunters, and perbaps you can find a willing mentor.

Another option could be to purchase guided hunts and learn from professionals.

With a little imagination and perspiration, you may find yourself ready to start on your own.
8/30/08 8:34 AM
MachetePhil
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Things may be different in Canadaland, but in most states down here there's usually some kind of state land nearby  that's available for hunting, and other outdoor activities.  Check with the local nat. resources commision or game warden office in your area for public places to hunt, or even private places you may be able to get access to. 

As far as the other things you mentioned, how to get started, what to do with something you kill etc. Your best bet is to find an experienced hunter, to learn things that would take years to learn on your own with a lot of mistakes along the way.

I know for a fact that there's tons of bear hunting operations all over Ontario. Maybe you could call up a few and explain your situation, and see if you could volunteer some time to come help them out during the season. I bet most of them are pretty good people who would be happy to have some help, and more than happy to help you out in return.

There's tons of books out there on the subject, but my intial advise is...be safe, and have a plan for what to do with something, from the second it goes down, until it gets in the freezer.  I'm glad to see someone interested in getting started hunting, especially someone who starts out wanting to do it the right way, and asking questions.  Good luck, keep us updated, and keep asking questions.
8/30/08 8:49 AM
MachetePhil
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/30/08 8:49 AM
 Just wanted to add this...

It would be a good idea to start out with small game, like squirrels.  Read all the local regulations, find a public hunting area, and head out there with a .22 rifle.  Spend time in the woods squirrel hunting and get used to being out there, it's great to learn "the woods" , and great experience in taking care of the game after you kill it. Read books on how to clean and care for squirrels or whatever it is, and practice it. 

You're bound to meet some people out there that can pass along some good advice, maybe even make few friends that will help you out along the way.

9/2/08 1:50 PM
Willybone
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another option could be to purchase guided hunts and learn from professionals.

I went with this option just to get my feet wet and had one of the best times of my life. Money well spent.
Now, I'm looking for friendly hunters at the fish and game clubs willing to show me the ropes on hunting birds on public land.
9/29/08 1:09 PM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get a little Ruger .22 and start hunting stray cats in your neighborhood. If you like it, get a bigger gun and move onto dogs, antelopes, gazelles, lions, people, etc.

Killing shit is a lot of fun, and you can eat the meat too.
11/18/08 12:54 PM
wheeels

Get your PAL, then take hunter safety.

Seek out information re: hunting in your area (Ontario hunting message boards, etc). canadiangunnutz.com would be a good place to start and will probably provide you with more links specific to hunting in Ontario.

Make friends with landowners (farmers/ranchers) in areas that you'd like to hunt so that you can get permission to hunt on posted land.. or else you'll have to seek out unposted land, crown land, etc.

What you do with the animal afterwards is up to you.. obviously you field dress it in the field.. if you think you can butcher it yourself, go for it.. I take mine to the butcher and have it done properly and also get a variety of sausage made (I'm snacking on Elk pepperoni as we speak)
11/21/08 10:51 AM
wheeels

Art, go and eat shit already.. your UNINFORMED opinion has no business here.

Stick to the homo-ground or where ever you came from.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.