UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Anyone here Graduate from Cornell/Columbia Law?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/29/08 5:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cycklops
437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it was US News and World Report/ The best Graduate Schools said the mean private sector income for graduates from these schools is 145K a year. Considering the average person's indebtedness coming out of the school is about 118K, that doesn't seem too shabby.

Good on ya

8/29/08 10:05 PM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I make more. Fuck Ivy League.

FOURTHHHHHHHH TIERRRRRRRRRR!

***Throws up Fourth Tier gang sign***
8/30/08 12:17 AM
Fake Pie
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How much did you make your first year out of law school through Bflex?

Btw, that is the private mean for all of the top 14 I believe (and probably more schools as well).

145K is market for BigLaw in most markets. It is 160K in bigger markets (DC, NY, LA).
8/30/08 2:06 PM
cycklops
437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is 160 in bigger cities like NY and DC actually decent?

8/30/08 2:25 PM
Fake Pie
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DC, sure. NY I can't say because I don't know enough about NY... but it sounds like it isn't that great considering the cost of rent. DC is high but not nearly as bad as NY. Also, I hear NY firms are super slavedriving (even compared to the average Biglaw jobs).

Why are you asking anyhow? I thought you weren't interested in that type of job.
8/30/08 4:14 PM
cycklops

Just interested, nothing deeper I guess.

I try to picture what my life would have been like had I continued with school etc. I like hearing about others and what they've chosen for themselves.

9/10/08 1:22 PM
halcyonday
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On a per capita basis, Columbia is tops when it comes to corporate big law placement, especially in the New York market. Part of the reason is that many equally qualified Harvard and Yale grads opt for high level (i.e. federal circuit court) clerkships.

Cornell is a great school, but it seems like it is the red-headed stepchild of the vaunted T14. Each school in the T14 has its own niche, reputation, and brand value. Cornell, however, seems, relative to its T14 peers, to be lacking in all three. If any school is to fall out of the T14, it will probably be Cornell (maybe Georgetown, but for a different reason). Vanderbilt, UCLA, and Texas have been nipping at its heels.

A first year associate at a New York Vault 100 firm can expect 160k as a first year salary, plus 30-40k in bonuses (the only exception being Wachtel, which pays 160k in salary and 160k in bonus). Expect to work long hours, get berated by partners, and have stress take a toll on your body (e.g. balding, wrinkles, weight gain).

160k does not go far in New York, especially when factoring in repayment of student loans. Big law in Houston (Baker Botts, V and E, Akin Gump, and Fulbright) pays 160k to first year associates. An equivalent NY salary would be 320k.

There are mumblings that the starting salary might be bumped up to 180k, but given the weak economy, it is not likely in the foreseeable future.
9/15/08 3:00 PM
goku

there were two gals that joined my current law firm at the same time as me. one was from cornell. one was from columbia. they have both been fired.

not sure if its relevant, but thought id pass that along to you.
1/18/09 11:05 AM
goku

"The $145/160k + bonus(~$175-200k total) figure is the average for FIRST YEAR associates."

no its not
1/19/09 9:59 PM
Tahiti Bo
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/19/09 10:02 PM
Retired, Tahuna

Macedawg went to Cornell.

I went to another ivy... 

My experience, in terms of Ivies is that Harvard is the worst... have come across so many folks from there who have this indescribable sense of entitlement and lack of a work ethic based on paying your dues... only other school I can make that general statement about is Duke grads (which is baffling, because Duke is not that great).

1/20/09 10:11 AM
Steve72
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A close friend went to Cornell law.

He is one of the smartest and best lawyers I've ever met.
1/20/09 11:44 AM
seg
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you don't go to a Big Ten law school, you might as well not go.
1/20/09 3:43 PM
kuan

i go to columbia. i'm a 1L. it's pretty cool.
1/20/09 6:14 PM
Subadie

I did

- Learned Hand
1/25/09 11:21 AM
Xtina

congrats, kuan.  have fun! 

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.