UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Omega's during pregnancy

8/29/08 11:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Losmeister
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How does a woman get any? I read fish oil is bad because of the mercury, flaxseed oil no good. what are good sources???
8/30/08 2:57 PM
pfsjkd
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think fish oil supplements contain mercury.  Most are (or at least claim to be) free of heavy metals.  Fish itself is the issue because of the mercury.

Flaxseed is another source as is hemp powder or seed.
8/31/08 12:31 PM
Kirkor Papasian
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why is flaxseed no good? flaxseed is a perfectly healthy source of omega-3
9/1/08 2:04 PM
Losmeister
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the responses, I have been reading about the potential for mercury in fish oil pills, but like pfsjkd said, most now claim to be free of mercury, I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I have read that flaxseed and soy are not good for preggo women because they affect hormone levels or some crap. Its tough to read about this cause most of the hits are ads for supplements, thats why i was hoping to get good advice here.
9/2/08 3:23 PM
RedEyeBJJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since most fish oils are generally obtained from sardines, salmon, and cod, the level of mercury is low to begin with because they are not predatory fish. Most of the mercury will be removed during the processing of the oil. A six ounce serving of shark or swordfish will have move mercury than most bottles of fish oil.
9/20/08 6:38 PM
kylethasnizake
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cod liver oil is good

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.