UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Steak cooking advice

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/30/08 5:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fake Pie
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I usually just get the grill hot as possible and throw them on for as little time as possible (moo!). But today I got some amazing T-Bones that are over 2 inches thick and I have never cooked steaks this thick before. What should I do to avoid completely burnt on the outside and completely raw on the inside considering the thickness?

I like em medium rare... tending on the rare side.

And I won't put anything on nice meat like this besides salt and pepper so don't even bother with that.

Thanks.
8/30/08 5:28 PM
GenErick
2021 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grill at 550, 4 minutes each side. You are welcome
8/30/08 5:30 PM
Fake Pie
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks GenErick.

Rickson, I have heard that before but I am not sure I want to try the oven yet... I'll think about it.
8/30/08 5:31 PM
samichlaus
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sear & dwell.

8/30/08 5:35 PM
samichlaus
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/30/08 5:36 PM
Fake Pie

OK well these people expect me to grill on a fucking electric outdoor concoction of some sort. I didn't realize anyone with a house didn't have a fucking gas grill at least.

Anyhow, considering this development I will try my hand at the oven for the first time. How long do I sear it for before going to the oven? About how long should it be in the oven for medium rareness? (Just so I know when to check the temp--they at least have a meat thermometer.)
8/30/08 5:46 PM
Fake Pie

After another look, I would say 2" thick, maybe a bit over but pretty close.

I will follow your directions Rickson. I hope you can handle that responsibility.
8/30/08 5:47 PM
samichlaus

Edited: 08/30/08 5:47 PM
I hope their Foreman grill gets hot enough for a proper sear. You might be better off with a cast iron skillet on the stove & finishing in the oven.

:-(
8/30/08 5:50 PM
Fake Pie

OK I might try that instead. They do have a gas range. Thanks! Would the time be the same? Do I just get the pan as hot as possible?

I knew the room temperature one already but thanks. It is good advice.
8/30/08 5:52 PM
samichlaus

Pan Seared Rib Eye
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Show:  Good Eats
Episode:  Steak Your Claim

1 boneless rib eye steak, 1 1/2-inch thick
Canola oil to coat
Kosher salt and ground black pepper

Place 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees. Bring steak(s) to room temperature.

When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste.

Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)

Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.

8/30/08 5:55 PM
Fake Pie

Sounds easy enough... but I don't know if I can get both steaks in the pan at once. I guess I can do them one by one. Thanks.
8/30/08 5:57 PM
Crazy Zimmerman
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sami, that steak you made is perfection itself.  Much better than most steakhouses would be able to do.  They burn it on the outside.
8/30/08 6:00 PM
samichlaus

Crazy Zimmerman -  Sami, that steak you made is perfection itself.  Much better than most steakhouses would be able to do.  They burn it on the outside.

Thanks!

I'm not a fan of the pure carbon crust either.
8/30/08 6:02 PM
bruddahoodaman
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i usually just throw it on the grill. once the blood starts coming out of the top of the steak, i flip it. when the blood comes out of the top again, it's done.
8/30/08 6:03 PM
Fake Pie

Well thanks for all of the ideas but it looks like these cavemen don't have a cast iron skillet either. I will try the electric grill to the oven.

Still going with Rickson's directions (350) above. Thanks.
8/30/08 6:04 PM
samichlaus

Edited: 08/30/08 6:34 PM
Order pizza. Leave the steaks at your place & grill them tomorrow.
8/30/08 6:10 PM
ShakaFerreira
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check the videos from the BBQ Pit Boys. They are the best thing to happen to meat and youtube.

Rib Eye recipe vid (from A-Z) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB16Dbjz8oo

You're so very welcome!
8/30/08 6:29 PM
Fake Pie

I am going to attempt to cook them. It won't be as good as Sami's but I do what I have to do.
8/30/08 7:15 PM
CockneyBlue
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have never wanted anything that I have seen in a picture on this site more than I want that steak, NOW!
8/30/08 7:18 PM
samichlaus

lol@ the Kingsford & lighter fluid.

8/30/08 8:02 PM
samichlaus

lol

"we wanna sear 'em to seal in those juices"
8/30/08 8:40 PM
ShakaFerreira
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude's voice is the best part!
8/30/08 8:55 PM
samichlaus

ShakaFerreira - Dude's voice is the best part!

lol

I agree. Sounds like the narrator from the Dukes of Hazard.
8/30/08 9:11 PM
ShakaFerreira

"Man, that smells G'yood!"
8/30/08 10:28 PM
Fake Pie

Grill broke anyhow. Had to do the whole thing in the oven. Surprisingly, they turned out great, but it is hard to fuck up meat that good.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.