UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Stephen Hunter Fans Check In

9/1/08 10:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Crazy Zimmerman
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This guy is my favorite novelist. Pale Rider was so good I literally could not put it down.  I was really disappointed with his latest one. It was too contrived.  This was his first clunker imo.

9/3/08 12:30 AM
jefft73
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I couldn't agree more - that scene in Pale Horse where the old dude shoots all those bastards in the bar? I could read that 100 times over and not get sick of it. When you say his latest, are you talking about Havana? Cause he did have a nonfiction book after that. As for Havana - I agree it was a clunker for Hunter. I just wonder if he set the bar so high with Pale Horse that most anything would seem like a clunker after that. I'm not sure - but Pale Horse is one of the rare novels where I will always remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I first read it - just a kick ass book all the way around. I really hope they don't make a movie of it because I don't see any way that they could do it justice...
9/3/08 8:02 AM
Crazy Zimmerman
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jeff, I thought Havana was decent, but not the best of Hunter.  I was talking about The 47th Samurai.  When I found this on the library shelf I was really thrilled.  But it just didn't do it for me.

9/3/08 8:24 AM
Crazy Zimmerman

Also just found out he's releasing another new novel this month.  This is definitely not Hunter's MO.  I wonder if he realizes that his last one was a disappointment.

9/3/08 10:16 AM
jefft73
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh wow - how did I miss 47th Samurai? I didn't even know it was out. It's a disappoinment though huh? I'm probably as big a Hunter fan as you - should I skip it altogether or read it with low expectations?
9/3/08 10:43 AM
Crazy Zimmerman

It's a must read because it's Hunter.  Still better than most other novels, just no Pale Rider, but that my be unfair to expect.

I know we've had this discussion before, but who are some other authors you read?

We seem to be on the same page with the Hunter stuff.  My top 3 are Pale Rider, Point of Impact and The Day After Midnight.

9/3/08 2:56 PM
jefft73

other authors...I know you read that Will Christopher Baer book I recommended. I like him, I like Chuck Palahniuk, Harry Crews, Larry Brown, Douglas Coupland - lots of other people.

Actually even though there's not really anyone quite like Hunter you might want to check out Harry Crews and Larry Brown if you like Hunter you would probably like them for sure. I would start with Feast of Snakes by Crews and Father and Son by Brown.
9/5/08 12:40 PM
Crazy Zimmerman

Sweet. I'll check them out. Thanks

9/8/08 11:18 AM
Crazy Zimmerman

Yeah, that's him.  If those were pretty good, who do you consider great?  I'm always on the look out for new authors.
9/10/08 1:16 PM
stobe
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So the 47th Samurai was a let down? Thats too bad. I have loved every book I have read by him.

CZ has you read any Vince Flynn or Ken Follett? I am reading every Follett book I can find.
9/10/08 1:25 PM
Crazy Zimmerman

Vince Flynn, I read a couple, Term Limits I really liked.  Follet can be great, but he has his share of clunkers.  Pillars of the Eart is one of the great novels ever. It was so damn good.  Eye of the Needle was great too, the Third Twin, etc.

But nobody does it for me like Hunter. He's releasing another novel this month.
9/10/08 4:44 PM
Crazy Zimmerman

Sounds like the OG.
9/11/08 8:49 AM
jefft73

Rahnknee - you had me at poop jokes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.