UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> FIXING up the ol' 1965 MUSTANG 289

9/2/08 10:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UCLApimp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I decided instead of getting into debt buying a new ride, I'm going to restore my dad's '65 Mustang 289 that has been sitting the garage.

Engine is pretty new, taken from another mustang not to long ago. What would you recommend in upgrading/changing in the 65 mustang to get the muscle back into cherry condition. Fuel injector, double barreled exhaust?

I know a bit about cars, but I'm definitely not an expert in loading up a car to give it the most muscle possible. Any advice or web links is much appreciated. Thanks my brethren.
9/6/08 3:05 PM
stevekt
560 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're in L.A.? Try going to the Pomona Swap Meet. There are a few vendors there that specialize in classic Mustangs.
9/7/08 11:15 AM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mustangs unlimited has been around for a while, I used them when I had my '69. They should have all the mustang specific parts (trim and crap) that you might need.

You need to decide from the start if you want to do a restoration where you keep in stock as it was in '65, or if you want to turn it in to a modern reliable daily driver that keeps the look of a '65 mustang.

I lean towards the latter.

As for the engine, Edelbrock sells 'performer packages' as a kit ad they have one for your 289. They come with matching intake manifold, carb, heads, cam and lifters, timing chain, gears and valve springs. All made to work together, no guesswork. That and a decent exhaust ought to get you where you need to be.

After installing all of that you'll have a good idea if you want to go further or if you're satisfied with a nicely running ride.
9/7/08 10:06 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

289 is one of my fave motors.

4 inch bore, 2.87 stroke (from memory).......what's not to like?

Newer tranny choices (unless manual) like a newer auto with lockup should net good mileage and good performance........unless it's only to be driven on rare occasions.

In that case, 351w to the max.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.