UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Overcoming Procrastination?

9/3/08 5:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
groundfighter2000
387 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not just in school, but in every aspect of my life, procrastination is deeply ingrained in me. Any tips advice suggestions strategies etc would be appreciated
9/3/08 8:06 PM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/03/08 8:11 PM
Make lists of shit to do, shit not to do, & shit to do as a reward for sticking to the lists.

Basically retrain yourself by bartering time.

The list of "shit not to do" is actually the most important one; don't neglect it.

Also make sure a solid exercise program is either part of the "shit to do" list as it makes available the spare time to barter.
9/3/08 11:18 PM
groundfighter2000
387 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks
9/4/08 4:32 PM
BarkLikeADog

Just for example, my "not to do" list includes any solitaire-type game. Sure sign I'm putting off something important is when Spider or Freecell are open on my desktop. C'mon. I've beat those games thousands of times. What is there to gain from it? It's not even fun; it's just a way to shut off my brain while pretending I'm engaging it.

Which is not to say I won't ever play a mindless videogame again; just that it goes onto the rewards list, which cuts out stuff that you wouldn't consciously choose to do in the first place. For sure TV & OGing are different experiences altogether when they're scheduled.
9/5/08 3:56 PM
groundfighter2000

ttt
9/7/08 2:24 PM
chef kwon do
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dude just do it tomorrow
9/7/08 3:33 PM
groundfighter2000

after scouring (sp?) the net, i found some very good articles that went beyond the usual "make lists" stuff, and found a technique that im currently implementing i started this today, and ive been more productive than ive been in weeks, ill post a link to the article/technique in a second, it kind of goes along with gusto's "set timers" suggestion, but i have to cut this short cause i have some stuff to do! OH SNAP!
9/7/08 4:00 PM
groundfighter2000

Edited: 09/07/08 4:01 PM
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2004/10/timeboxing/ 
9/7/08 4:06 PM
groundfighter2000

i dont follow the above article to the letter, what i do is:

1) pick a small task that will take anywhere from 5-10minutes, (it could also be a piece of a larger task i.e. starting to write a paper for 5-10 minutes)
2)set my alarm to go off in 30 minutes
3) do the task, then do whatever the fuck i want until the alarm goes off
4) go back to step 1

i started this at 1pm today, and have been very productive in the past 3 hours, and i will continue being productive for the rest of the day

the big thing is not to give in to that overzealous enthusiasm that can develop during this kind of exercise, you get into a gung ho mode and want to do a ton (which is great) but its often self-defeating, better to reign in that enthusiasm and spend it wisely and carefully, rather than blowing ur was in 2 hours and then being unproductive for the next two days because you "earned it" with all the stuff you got done the other day
9/15/08 9:36 AM
Dan O'Connell
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/15/08 10:30 AM
Polaris
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't know, I am terrible about it too.
9/15/08 12:48 PM
groundfighter2000

still being superproductive, i feel unstoppable, craziness!!
9/22/08 12:56 AM
thesleeper

Asking a bunch of academics about how to overcome procrastination is like asking a heroin addict how to quit smoking.

Thanks for the link, I was procrastinating when I clicked on this.
9/25/08 3:37 PM
Liyon
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's some good advice here like the "not-to-do list". However, IMO, procrastination is less about time/task management and more like performance anxiety. The essential roadblock is getting started. That's what most people dread.

For those who have competed in grappling (or anything else), it's like getting so nervous before a match you just want to call it off, but once the ref says go, your instincts and training take over and you realize there's nothing to be scared/worried about.

Break down the tasks you need to accomplish into steps. Make the first one quick and easy and go from there.
1/4/09 9:46 PM
Vincent Giordano
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just read a while back ago an older book which helped
Procrastination by jane burka and lenora yuen.
1/9/09 6:55 PM
P.V.Jena

Getting Things Done, by Dave Allen helped me quite a bit.
1/27/09 10:09 PM
WeeWillyWinky
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm always amazed how much shit i get done when I actually do shit.

The key to me is to stop planning. I plan and plan and plan and never do. It's a great distraction.

Don't wait until you're ready, just start.
1/28/09 2:32 PM
groundfighter2000

^excellent point^ paralysis by analysis is a big trap
1/31/09 5:53 PM
Liyon
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I'm always amazed how much shit i get done when I actually do shit."

Parkinson's Law, imo. You procrastinate b/c you actually have TOO much time.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.