UnderGround Forums

PoliticalGround >> Palin lied AGAIN!!!She supported bridge to nowhere

9/3/08 11:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bushsux
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anchorage Daily News interview with Governor Palin on October 26th, 2006:

Question :

5. Would you continue state funding for the proposed Knik Arm and Gravina Island bridges?

Answer:

Yes. I would like to see Alaska's infrastructure projects built sooner rather than later. The window is now--while our congressional delegation is in a strong
position to assist.

TOnight's convention speech "I said Thanks, but, no thanks on the bridge to nowhere."

She actually still received the pork money from Congress that could have been put toward the bridge and just spent it on something else, when the bridge idea lost political support.
9/3/08 11:48 PM
bushsux

ttt
9/3/08 11:49 PM
StrikeAnywhere
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

exactly..pork is still pork if you spend it
9/3/08 11:55 PM
balloon knotter
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

based on what is coming out about her i'm getting the feeling that she is a serious backroom politician, but on a local level. she seems to have run roughshod over the local political scene and played the game well enough for people to like her until they get to know her very well.

she may get eaten up in the big leagues, or go wild in the free-for-all of DC deal making.
9/3/08 11:56 PM
FlashGordon2002

It doesn't matter. Republicans will believe what they want.
9/4/08 12:03 AM
pneuma
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Q: What did she do when she got in office?

A: She helped kill it.

What was the news from the Anchorage Daily News by the end of that year?

Anchorage Daily News (Alaska)

December 27, 2007 Thursday
FINAL EDITION

SECTION: ALASKA; Pg. B1

LENGTH: 729 words

HEADLINE: Palin flies high as reformer;
GOV. PALIN: Higher tax on oil, bids for a gas line help develop national attention.

BYLINE: Staff and wire reports.

DATELINE: JUNEAU -

BODY:

In her first year as governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin raised taxes on the oil industry, pushed through ethics legislation amid a burgeoning corruption investigation of Alaska lawmakers, bucked her party's old guard, and ordered her administration to seek fewer congressional earmarks after Alaska's "bridge to nowhere" became a national symbol of pork barrel spending.

The 43-year-old governor has also emerged as a national figure and a media darling, showing up on news and talk shows and even posing for Vogue magazine.

Alaska's first female governor, a former Miss Wasilla, says it's her responsibility to be available even to fashion magazines if it can help change the state's reputation for graft and gluttony at the public trough.

"We've got to make sure the rest of the United States doesn't believe the only thing going on in Alaska is FBI probes and corruption trials," Palin said.

She has dismissed speculation she might leave Juneau for higher office before her term expires in 2010, saying, "My role as governor is where I can be most helpful right now unless something drastic happens, and I don't anticipate that right now."

Nevertheless, John J. Pitney Jr., a political scientist with Claremont McKenna College in California and former analyst for congressional Republicans, said Palin could be an ideal presidential running mate next year.

"What separates her from others is that at a time when Republicans have suffered from the taint of corruption, she represents clean politics," Pitney said.

"The public stereotype of Republican is a wrinkled old guy taking cash under the table," he said. "One way for Republicans to break the stereotype is with a female reformer."

Party labels seem to mean little to Palin. Her revenue commissioner is a Democrat. Her husband, Todd, a blue-collar worker on the North Slope, is an independent.

The mother of four is often seen bounding down the Capitol stairwell, carrying a pink backpack, rushing to get her 6-year-old daughter, Piper, off to school on time -- something Pitney said could make Palin appealing to a national audience.

A former mayor of Wasilla, Palin ran on ethics reform and trounced incumbent Gov. Frank Murkowski in the 2006 GOP primary. In the general election, she easily beat Democratic former Gov. Tony Knowles.

Palin immediately took on the state's most lucrative industry, questioning whether Alaska -- which gets about 85 percent of its revenue from big oil -- is getting its fair share of the oil companies' billions of dollars in profits.

She got what she wanted from the GOP-controlled Legislature, but only by relying heavily on Democratic votes. She won approval last month to boost taxes on oil company profits from 22.5 percent to 25 percent. That could bring in an additional $1.6 billion annually for the state, depending on oil prices.

The state is currently evaluating bids for the right to build a multibillion-dollar pipeline to deliver Alaska's natural gas to the rest of the nation. How that will eventually play out is still very much up in the air.

In her first year, Palin has demonstrated a flair for timing and public relations.

She signed an ethics reform bill the day a former Alaska lawmaker was convicted of bribery. She visited Alaska troops in Kuwait. She prefaced the announcement of this year's Permanent Fund dividend amount with a much-quoted, "Oh baby!"

Palin's climb up the national political celebrity ladder is happening without the backing of the state Republican Party, led by Randy Ruedrich. In 2004, as chairwoman of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, Palin exposed Ruedrich for ethics violations when he was a fellow commissioner.

Ruedrich acknowledged Wednesday that he and Palin haven't talked at all since her election but said it isn't that big a deal. "I talk to others in her administration," he said. "I didn't talk to Frank about much, either."

Palin has also challenged her party's establishment by asking Ted Stevens, Alaska's once untouchable senior senator, to explain publicly why federal investigators raided his Girdwood home in a far-reaching investigation of Alaska corruption.

"I don't sweat it at all that the partisanship isn't playing a big part of my agenda," Palin said. "What that tells me is this: that I'm on the right track, and that it hasn't stopped us."

AP reporter Steve Quinn contributed to this story.
9/4/08 12:05 AM
pneuma

Huh, isn't that odd:

"Nevertheless, John J. Pitney Jr., a political scientist with Claremont McKenna College in California and former analyst for congressional Republicans, said Palin could be an ideal presidential running mate next year.

"What separates her from others is that at a time when Republicans have suffered from the taint of corruption, she represents clean politics," Pitney said."

Of course, Obama may very well come under federal indictment himself-- or he damn well should anyway.
9/4/08 12:07 AM
pneuma

"Obama is not named in the Dec. 21 court document. But a source familiar with the case confirmed that Obama is the unnamed "political candidate" referred to in a section of the document that accuses Rezko of orchestrating a scheme in which a firm hired to handle state teacher pension investments first had to pay $250,000 in "sham" finder's fees. From that money, $10,000 was donated to Obama's successful run for the Senate in the name of a Rezko business associate, according to the court filing and the source.

Rezko, who was part of Obama's senatorial finance committee, also is accused of directing "at least one other individual" to donate money to Obama and then reimbursing that individual -- in possible violation of federal election law. "

We'll see if the federal prosecutors in Illinois have the courage to go after him. I doubt it. They would likely be killed-- literaly.
9/4/08 12:19 AM
b0bb0

Like obama would of had anything to do with a 10k$ donation from someone he didn't evenprolly know?
9/4/08 8:43 PM
bushsux

"ordered her administration to seek fewer congressional earmarks after Alaska's "bridge to nowhere" became a national symbol of pork barrel spending."

Yeah, because the fucking country had caught on to the ridiculous amount of pork that Alaska had been receiving through the work of the Alaskan Congressional delegation that Palin had worked for with her support of the very 527 groups that John McCain opposes.

Stevens was the cheerleader for the bridge to nowhere. She supported it and once the funding fell through- PALIN KEPT THE MONEY.

She makes it seem as though she declined this money for her state as unnecessary pork. Not true. She simply diverted the money elsewhere once Stevens was defeated.
9/4/08 8:53 PM
doctorbrodsky

She's a liar.
9/5/08 8:41 PM
bushsux

ttt
9/6/08 10:54 PM
bushsux

ttt
9/7/08 7:27 PM
Tahiti Bo
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Retired, Tahuna
 > TOnight's convention speech "I said Thanks, but, no thanks on the bridge to nowhere."

I do not  think she was a great choice for VP, but actually, I don't think she has lied about this issue. 

People attribute to her a position she did not have: that she was against building the bridge.  Her position was with respect to the source of funding for the bridge, not the project itself.

In fact, your quote leaves off the next sentence from her speech.  Something to the effect of 'if we want to build it, we can do it without federal money.'

What she was against was Federal congressional earmarks for the project.  She was not against the project per se.  She said if we build it, we find a way to do it without federal earmarks - we do it with state money.

I understand that the quote above, because of the way the speech was written, when taken by itself without the following sentence, can be used as a great clip to imply something that is not accurate.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.