UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> When do you have to talk to Cops?

12/29/08 1:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hollywood Blonde
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can one of you provide a link to the other thread? Thanks!
12/29/08 7:07 AM
BarkLikeADog
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^It's from last year on the OG. Long gone.
1/1/09 7:03 PM
GladiatorGannon
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't decline any more politely than that.

politeness is all i ask for.

but you know as well as I that we aren't going to cover them in any meaningful way here.

endless emotionally-charged debate is for the OG, not the legalground.

I meant that any debate we have will be heavily biased towards personal anecdotal evidence that is not reflective of the big picture, & not anything substantive...

Sorry it's so long, but law is complex...

a little friendly advice - if you don't want a "vigorous debate", you shouldn't be doing the Passive/Aggressive, talking down to people/snide remarks you did above. it's a little late to start claiming you're being polite now.

i'll give you the benefit of the doubt this time, and assume that you had a bad week, and this is not indicative of your general character.
1/4/09 4:16 AM
Shaz

Hm.. Well, I agree that for guilty people it's ALMOST never a good idea to talk to the cops, unless they're skillful liars or have their story really straight. Bear in mind that the vast majority of confessions I see are inculpatory. If someone sincerely denies being involved, and their denial is plausible, it will definitely make me take a closer look at the case. It certainly doesn't make the case stronger - UNLESS their denial can be proved to be a lie.

For innocent people I don't necessarily agree. A truly innocent person with a legitimate version of events can help themselves by telling the police. If the police respond to the scene of a crime, and start canvassing the neighborhood, they knock on everyone's door. Many people will say they didn't see anything, and the cops go to the next house. If someone says "I refuse to answer any questions before I speak with my lawyer", well then that sends up all sorts of red flags. That person just became a suspect, and even if he's innocent and never even gets charged, why put yourself through that? Best case scenario, you now have to hire a lawyer and be out a few thousand bucks. Let's say the police suspect you of a crime, and you have an airtight alibi - you were at a wedding out of state and have photos and video. There's absolutely no reason not to show them that, in fact it will save you a lot of money in lawyers fees because they will cut you loose.

Bottom line, to say that no one, under any circumstances, should ever talk to the police, makes as much sense as saying that no one, under any circumstances, should ever wear a blue shirt. Neither statement makes any sense.

-Shaz!
1/4/09 4:17 AM
Shaz

Oh and I just watched all 48 minutes of those videos as well. I wish I could have been there instead of that cop to give the rebuttal :)

-Shaz!
1/4/09 4:46 AM
GladiatorGannon
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shaz - Oh and I just watched all 48 minutes of those videos as well. I wish I could have been there instead of that cop to give the rebuttal :)

-Shaz!

i guarantee that cop would himself talk to the police in a number of different scenarios. if asked, he would reply "of course i didn't mean it for stuff like this".

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.